Sign in to follow this  
leatheroo

disaster...my fault

I thought i would do some carving for a change. i spent hours cutting and carving and stamping and i was really pleased with the result. i made a playing card folder for my son. i had shaped it into the shape of a deck of cards and i couldn't wait to dye it. As it was wet molded it need to dry, so to hurry it along i decided to dry it in my convection oven(combination oven and microwave). I have done this many times with my masks and have the oven at the lowest setting. i set the oven for 10 minutes. STUPID ME...in my haste i put the oven on microwave instead of oven, the result was a rock hard shrivelled up piece of leather that went straight in the bin.

Oh, i'm so sorry about all that work wasted! But thanks for posting as it could stop many new crafters from making the same mistake. My boyfriend did this with his first carved work, oven and low setting but he left it in too long. Thank goodness it was just a "tester" and we could laugh about the jerky he produced.'

What? No pix?

Sorry also, but a picture would really be nice for us demented leatherworkers.

Ken

this piece of leather original measured 20cm x 15cm, it is sitting next to a dvd spindle!!DSCF0228.JPG

post-4514-1200012355_thumb.jpg

you could enter it in the next oak leaf contest

Damn... I thought you were embellishing on the final description of it.... It got cooked! Live and learn I guess...

:rofl: That's just freakin funny rite there folks.

Roo that really blows. like you said , live and learn.

Ha...

Kevin - you owe me a keyboard, just spit up a beer on this one.....

Roo, at least you got a bunch of us rolling on the floor.

Give it another go, and this time...no NUKE.

Ken

Been there, done that. Back in the 80s when I first got started in re-enactment all the history books described Cuir Bullion as leather boiled in oil. I tried it, resulting in crispy fried leather and everything I cooked in the same pan tasted awful. Never trusted a historian since then.

LOL, deep fried leather.... LOL

Oh man does that bring back memories.....I did that with my first checkbook.....it ended up about 2 inches long!....ha ha I have to laugh now but at the time....it wasn't funny at all.

Dave

I have several of those "specialty" items around the house.

We call them cat toys.

LOLOL :NEWFUNNYPOST:

I'm sorry for laughing, but thats just soooo funny. Goes to show you guys how much water there really is in leather... makes one stop and think about all the water proofing crap people put on veg tan leather and think it's good for their saddles..... :red_bandana:

Bobcat

Kevin, thanks. I shot beer out of my nose. Thank goodness it missed the keyboard.

Roo, thanks for posting so I don't do that. Up until now, I would have considered it...

Brent

You people crack me up Big time...So much so that hubby's coming over, wondering what's going on :rofl:

this piece of leather original measured 20cm x 15cm, it is sitting next to a dvd spindle!!DSCF0228.JPG

Thanks for teaching me something you don't want to do to leather! :)

Yeah Roo, I've burnt stuff on purpose but damn. I used a blowdryer on a passenger seat once but ended up blotching it. I had to do the forbidden, black it out. Came out cool but I will not do that again. I have also used a torch on things just to give it that aged and weathered look. Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry it didn't work out but as you can see, many of us just learned a lesson....I hope I remember.