Big Papa Leather

Sew machine ad nauseum

Wow!

I have read for nearly 3 hours the last couple days on who does what where and my machine can kick your dad's machines butt. blah blah blah....

LOL I'm not upset but the back and forth defiantly creates a "who to trust" type situation.

I am not a Wal-Mart mentality shopper, but I want the best product for the price. I do not shop name brands simply for the name. Too many times a brand is developed and it goes to poop because they build a following and then start skimping to make a few extra bucks. The older products are better and those customers still tout the name and the new customers just think that they got a deal and live with the new inferior product.

I am not looking to create a flame thread or a who's best but I would like some real world advise.

I know NOTHING about sewing machines. However I'd like to learn and I do want to purchase a machine.

I do know there is not a "do everything" machine out there. But I'd like a machine that can do many different things.

Here is the meat of all this...

Is there a machine that can sew up to a 6-7 oz tooling leather that can also:

sew a couple layers of chrome tan to the 6-7 oz?

sew lining pig leathers to 6-7 oz

allow the user to sew inlays and overlays in 6-7oz and lower?

I would like to do some decrative stitching in 6-7 oz and lower (like in boot tops, but not boot tops)

Maybe the occasional handbag made from chap and/or tooling leather

and be useable for a novice machine user?

Am I asking too much?

Any help is appreciated!

Hi scissormedic, yes there is a machine for you. All of the Sewing Machine Companies sell the machine that you need. I suggest that you contact all of these companies and talk to them, getting as much info as you can. This info is free and valuable. You can then make an educated decision, based on what you have learned. Thanks, Steve, and thanks for the post.

Thanks Steve.

Wow!

............................................................................................................................

I know NOTHING about sewing machines. However I'd like to learn and I do want to purchase a machine.

I do know there is not a "do everything" machine out there. But I'd like a machine that can do many different things.

Any help is appreciated!

This part says a LOT. And, like Steve said, all the dealers sell what you need.

My suggestion is go for support, someone that will walk you through all the initial setup, hang-up, threading, oiling, use of accessories, etc. After a year, you probably won't need that level of support for the ame machine BUT, in the beginning you will.

What you are sewing as well as thickness & thread size have everything to do with what machine. A cylinder machine will do them gussets easier than a flatbed. A flatbed Will do the decorative stitching MUCH better than a cylinder machine. Cylinder machines typically will sew larger thread (e.g. 348) and thicker leather (e.g. 4 layers of 6/7 oz). I can sew much straighter on a flatbed than cylinder machine.

If you don't have a neighborhood industrial machine dealer, be sure to include Steve in your search. From personal experience, there is no better support for a 1st machine buyer(although I've heard from others that there is one, or maybe 2 equals but, not better).

Best of luch in your search.

Regis

Edited by Regis

I don't think you will be happy with the Artisan 3000 or the Cobra and Cowboy versions of the short arm 441.

With your list of questions you will be sewing what most of us consider medium weight material. The only reason for going to a bigger machine is to get the ability to handle larger needles and thread, 277 and 346 in particular. Some of the medium weight machines will handle 207 quite well, some will only go as high as 138.

The best machine for you, given what you have written is the 618-1SC made by Huigong No.3 in Shanghai, this machine is badged Highlead. Artisan and Cobra both sell this machine under their own badges, but they are (the last time I looked) Huigong machines. The Cowboy 618 is made by New Century (can't remember it's Chinese name) and the ones I have seen are pretty good. Some other manufacturers make this design and one of them I have seen is bloody awful. Sometimes you see them on eBay, be careful here. The 618 is not designed to sew leather so the dealers (Artisan, Cobra, Cowboy) have to do some work on them and replace some parts to make them work well for leather. The 618 is a triple feed machine and sews multiple layers well and goes up and downhill easily. It is a flatbed machine which does intricate work better than a cylinder bed. The 618 uses the 111 foot system and you can buy feet to do darned near anything for this machine, they're not that expensive either. Make sure your machine has a servo motor and a speed reducer, a must for leatherwork. Intricate and close work requires a roller foot machine which the 618 is not, however by going slow you can do some acceptable close work with it.

There is also the 1245 Pfaff and a clone of it. The clone is sold by Ferdco and is a well made machine with a little more thickness capacity. It uses Pfaff feet, and Pfaff parts can be a new level of pain threshold for Pfaff users, both in availability and price.

Then there is the Adler 867, which will do everything the 618 or the 1245 will do and will cost as much as both of them together, nice machine though. Weaver sells the Adler line.

I hope this helps in your research.

Art

Wow!

I have read for nearly 3 hours the last couple days on who does what where and my machine can kick your dad's machines butt. blah blah blah....

LOL I'm not upset but the back and forth defiantly creates a "who to trust" type situation.

I am not a Wal-Mart mentality shopper, but I want the best product for the price. I do not shop name brands simply for the name. Too many times a brand is developed and it goes to poop because they build a following and then start skimping to make a few extra bucks. The older products are better and those customers still tout the name and the new customers just think that they got a deal and live with the new inferior product.

I am not looking to create a flame thread or a who's best but I would like some real world advise.

Here is the meat of all this...

Is there a machine that can sew up to a 6-7 oz tooling leather that can also:

sew a couple layers of chrome tan to the 6-7 oz?

sew lining pig leathers to 6-7 oz

allow the user to sew inlays and overlays in 6-7oz and lower?

I would like to do some decrative stitching in 6-7 oz and lower (like in boot tops, but not boot tops)

Maybe the occasional handbag made from chap and/or tooling leather

and be useable for a novice machine user?

Am I asking too much?

Any help is appreciated!

I agree with Art, in that a flat bed machine would be the best option for what you are describing. I'll also echo that although a walking foot machine is the best suited for leather, its not the best for "boot top" type decorative stitching. A roller foot allows you to turn tight corners and follow a set pattern. With a walking foot, the step action of the feet would be less maneuverable.

What is the maximum thread size and material thickness you expect to sew?

If you are considering an original machine brand, your options are Adler, Juki, Pfaff & Seiko. Other brands would be cloned variations of these, mostly made in China.

Less than 3/8" thick material

• The SEIKO STH-8BLD-3 Sewing Machine , in my opinion, is the best priced name brand. Made in Japan. It will handle 207 out of the box. The feet interchange with Singer types and are inexpensive.
  • The Juki LU-1508 is another good Japanese brand. The standard LU-1508N will only handle 138 thread. The Juki will cost more but accessories are relatively inexpensive.
  • The Adler 267-373 can use 138 thread. German engineered, but current models are made in China.

Less than 1/2" thick material

• The Juki LU1508H will accept up to 207 thread. Accessories are inexpensive.
  • The Adler 867 can handle 277 thread and its still made in Europe.
  • The Pfaff 1245 is a good brand, made in Germany and will sew 207 thread. Accessories will be more expensive.

We sell Adler, Seiko and Juki. My preference has always been stick with an original brand machine.

If you choose to purchase a Chinese clone, make sure you've got a reputable dealer that will back it up, as with any machine.

Edited by CampbellRandall

+1 to all of the above.

i would like to add.

since you know what you want to sew, thats have the battle imo.

i would also:

1. Have samples of the leather you want to sew available so if/when you find a machine, you can test drive it and verify it will do what they say it will do.

2. if you are making something like purses/chaps or whatever, ask the people making them what machines they use. you maynot find the exact one, but you may see a pattern or the info may help in your search.

3. for the decorative stitching, try to get samples of the stitching. pictures, old boot pulls or whatever so you can show the sales person exactly what you want.

I live in Canada and know jack nothing about machines as well. I been researchiong them for months and best I come up with is maybe i will buy one from where I get service assistance to be safe; as was suggestted in this thread....however the only shop up in this country wayyyyyy up north is expensive in comparisson...and i am astudent!!!!

I live in Canada and know jack nothing about machines as well. I been researchiong them for months and best I come up with is maybe i will buy one from where I get service assistance to be safe; as was suggestted in this thread....however the only shop up in this country wayyyyyy up north is expensive in comparisson...and i am astudent!!!!

Hi Ganonymous,

If you are looking to deal with a company in Canada, feel free to give us a call toll free at 1-866-415-8223. We offer free tech support for the life of any machine you buy from us. We've been in business since 1974 (our main office is in Montreal) and have shipped thousands of machines around our great country :).

Ron

Raphael Sewing

Edited by Ronnie

I was like you when I first started looking for a machine, I suggest you do what I did, that is go to one of the major shows and see first hand what each of the machines will do. Spend some time sewing on each of them and talk to the dealers. Not just ask a few questions and go on, be a pest and see which ones will take the time to deal with you. I went to Sheridan, Wy one year and I tried them all. I settled on the Artisen because Jerry and Steve were still together at Artisen and they made a great team. I am sorry to see them split. I would not be afraid to reccomend the Artisen to anyone. I have not had a chance to see Steves new line and hope he will be at the Federation show in Indianapolis where I can take one of his machines for a test drive. If I know Steve they will be good if he puts his name on them. Anyway, everyone you talk to will have an oponion about a machine, take the time to test drive one like you would a new car. Would you mail order a new car? A sewing machine is a major expense in a small shop, invest the time and money to go try one out and talk to the people you will be dealing with after the sale.

If you are close to Kansas City you can come by and try my Artisen.

Randy