leatherman1457

WARNING SUB STANDARD LACE

I just bought lace from tandy's and got a surprise. all the lace that i bought was substandard. it broke every 4 to 6 inches. It is all sub standard and when I brought it up to managment they got mad at me for bringing it back and complaining. I would stay away from the tandy or tejas brand lace made in india or china it is a sub standard product that needs to be off the shelves but tandy is selling it KNOWING that it is substandard. stay away from tandy lace just a warning.

I just took back several new rolls of lace that I just purchased from tandy. all of the lace broke about every 4 to 6 inchs if you pull on it with very little pressure. I nned to know where to find some good kangaroo lace where I do not have to sell my first born to get it and is not made for tandy or sell to tandy.I will never darken tandy's door again. Just need some advice on where to get good lace. And yes I do kick my self in the butt for returning the hansen lace cutter.even tho it was not as good as the one made 15 to 20 years ago.

Leatherman i feel for you. buying lace at tandys is a no no for me. Contac Zack White

tell them that you want the Lace that says on the spool 'PROUDLY MADE IN THE U S A' .

You will be pleased with it.

Oh well, you get what you pay for. Take it back and buy from Springfield Leather, everything I have bought from them is A OK, the roo lace is excellent. If by chance something slips through the cracks, Kevin will make it right.

50 yards of deer is about $66

50 yards of the best beveled calf is about $48

50 yards of roo is about $36

50 yards of quality calf is about $27

50 yards of imported calf around $22

If you are paying anything less than the above, I would question the quality. If you are paying $7.20 for 50 yards, well you know what you've got.

Art

I just bought lace from tandy's and got a surprise. all the lace that i bought was substandard. it broke every 4 to 6 inches. It is all sub standard and when I brought it up to managment they got mad at me for bringing it back and complaining. I would stay away from the tandy or tejas brand lace made in india or china it is a sub standard product that needs to be off the shelves but tandy is selling it KNOWING that it is substandard. stay away from tandy lace just a warning.

If you weren't satisfied with the Tandy store's response to the problem, you should take your complaint up a level to the district manager or to the Ft. Worth headquarters. Complaints from customers help retailers by identifying a problem and giving them a chance to "make it right" and keep the customer. That said, Zack White & Springfield have built their businesses on extraordinary customer service, so chances are you'll be satisfied from now on.

Johanna

An opinion on the other side: I've bought a few spools of the Tejas Superior Lace from Tandy and have been VERY satisfied. I've used it on a wedding gift for a cousin, and a wallet. I just bought some more to use on some Bible covers. I've had no problems with it.

I have had problems with older versions and less quality versions of the laces from Tandy, though. But not recently. I buy from them all the time, and rarely have a bad experience. I've also found them willing to help when there was a problem.

Holy S_ _ _; I just had the same thing happen last night after purchasing some tan Tejas lace from my Tandy that I needed in a pinch. It happened to me, just about every 5-10 inches it broken. I spoke with my manager Dennis at the store this afternoon. He apologized and said to bring it in and he would replace it, no questions asked. He then told me that it happens every now and then. He gave me no problems. I do have some of Springfields ROO lace I purchased in the neutral color to dye it as I need. It appears to be very nice and I hope to start using it soon.

Wow, it must be the whole lot.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but after the Tandy bashing rant, I feel the need to chime in. I've had NO negative experiences with Tandy. Last year, I stopped in the Montgomery store during my lunch hour and picked out some leather and other supplies. Since space was at a premium in my work truck, I had it shipped home. When I got there the box was torn open (looked like a forklift blade) and everything but the rolled leather was missing. I called the store and spoke to the manager and he made it all good. Perhaps the manager you spoke with was having a bad day/week/month- hard to say- but his reaction to you and his handling of the issue was all wrong. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting the number to the DM, so you should definitely call about it.

Thanks for the heads up about the lace. I'd bet the other sources -Hobby Lobby and Michael's will have similar problems if it's a batch problem.

Kangaroo lace from Australia, purchased from Jim Downey is my recomendation. A little more money than some of the others but worth every penny. It's a huge savings in frustration and a big improvement in the finished quality of your work. A good lace job is time consuming and difficult enough without trying to work with poor material. What you might save on the price of lace you'll lose in time spent.

It's not a 'lot' problem with the Tandy lace, unfortunately. They import from India and the multitude of splices are terrible. If they hold, sometimes they're backwards or poorly matched edge to edge. I had stopped using it a year ago and recently bought a spool of Superior. Bingo - Same problem. In their defense, our local manager, Dennis, will make it right.

They're not the only ones. I tried some calf lace from another supplier and it turned out to have been imported from India also. Now I don't know where to order it from because most everyone else carries the same brand.

I order my 'roo from Springfield Leather and I've never had a problem with it.

I had the same experience with Tandy Lace. One spool broke every few feet, all it would be good for is practice splicing.

Next one had twists in it that would not come out, another for practice splicing.

Next was as stiff as that near famous wedding night male thing, total junk.

No more Tandy for me.

I even sent some lace back to Tandy's HQ. in Fort Worth. No response at all. Have been buying from Jim Downey and getting ready to try Springfield Leather. I have just about sworn off of Tandy due to 2 sides of Latigo with more than their share of butchering holes in the middle of them.

I had alot of problems with the "Tejas Lace Company" brand bought at tandy, 1/8" width, made in India. While pulling the lace through the holes (especially on mexican basketweave) the splices would begin to fray and then they would break at that point. I just don't have the time or energy to deal with this while lacing, it is time consuming enough as it is.

Well I must be one of the lucky ones as I always have had great experiences with Tandy and the Leather Factory in Tampa. Also out of maybe 50or 60 spools of Tejas Superior Lace I have only had issue's with maybe two, but I do thank you for the warning.Dave

Thanks for the response from every one. I took care of the problem. I contacted Kevin at Springfield leather. It had been a couple of years since we had done business but he remembered me and i will be buying all my leather from Kevin from now on. I only used tandy as a last resort and because i get my stuff at dealer cost. But If the stuff is junk you could give it away and it would still be junk.lol Kevin is very happy with tandy /TLF because it has sent him so much business. My money will go to Kevin from now on and will leave the chinese store like tandy/TLF to the hobbist and start buying American again from Kevin. He might inmport some stuff but at least it has been thru a quality control person unlike the chinese crap that tandy/TLF sells