chouinardragon

Bob Beard's Black Maul

Hi guys,

I'm going to order some tools from Robert Beard, so I wrote to ask if the black maul is still available incidentally.

Of course, they don't. They told me that they discontinue making mauls because of the material cost skyrocketed.

So, I was wondering if anyone could convince Bob to make some on special order.

My plan is who is willing to buy Bob Beard's black maul, reply here with your maul weight.

After awhile, like 10 days, we elect one guy who is willing to buy to give Robert Beard tool a call.

Don't know if it could work??

btw, sorry for my poor English, I hope that you guys can understand what I'm talking about. Or you can help me "translate" my words into the real "English" that you understand.

Anyway, I want a 24oz maul.

Chouinardragon

I spoke to Bob at the Wickenberg show a week ago and he tells me that even though there are many willing to pay the price he is having a hard time even finding the materials now so don't know if we will ever see them again

Richard

Hi,I wrote to Bob and he told me that the material is 4 times higher than it used to be.Seems it's possible to get that beautiful maul...

I spoke to Bob at the Wickenberg show a week ago and he tells me that even though there are many willing to pay the price he is having a hard time even finding the materials now so don't know if we will ever see them again

Richard

Another problem that Bob has had with obtaining this material was the company changed policy as to min order. Bob used to buy it by the 5 gal bucket now they want him to buy a tanker truck load of it in order to get a price that would make every one happy. I used to live about 40 miles from Bob and his shop is not set up for that kind of bulk. I own a 20 oz and wish I could get other sizes as well. I see Bob a few times a year and I always ask when the next run will be ready.

Another problem that Bob has had with obtaining this material was the company changed policy as to min order. Bob used to buy it by the 5 gal bucket now they want him to buy a tanker truck load of it in order to get a price that would make every one happy. I used to live about 40 miles from Bob and his shop is not set up for that kind of bulk. I own a 20 oz and wish I could get other sizes as well. I see Bob a few times a year and I always ask when the next run will be ready.

I've seen these in his picts as well. What material are they made from?

I've seen these in his picts as well. What material are they made from?

I don't know next time I talk to him I will ask. I know it was a two part that he mix.

Can you post a link so that I can see one of his mauls. I tried his site and tried to find him in the member directory as Robert Beard without any luck. How does he post?

Thanks,

Fred

I don't know next time I talk to him I will ask. I know it was a two part that he mix.

Hi,

I have a photo downloaded from this forum, see attached photo.

:)

Chris

Can you post a link so that I can see one of his mauls. I tried his site and tried to find him in the member directory as Robert Beard without any luck. How does he post?

Thanks,

Fred

Beard_mallets.jpg

post-11650-126880857682_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I have a photo downloaded from this forum, see attached photo.

smile.gif

Chris

I thought those mauls looked familiar....they're mine, LOL! And before anyone asks...no they are not for sale! I have five different sizes of Bob's mauls and am crazy about them. I'm still searching for a 12 oz.....so if anyone has one for sale, I'm a buyer!!!!!!

I always discuss the mauls with Bob also and did so at Wickenburg again this year. It sounds like there is not much hope that we will ever see those mauls produced again.

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

Hi Bobby,

You got me! whistle.gif Though I don't have it, at least I can have a picture of it :)

I'm crazy about his maul, but it seems impossible to have chance to have them anymore.

Bob is really busy, he has to go to trade show, teach classes, make tools...I don't know when I will have my tools I ordered. sad.gif

But, I still have to move on, I ordered a 2lb maul from Wayne Jueschke and received it yesterday. It's good and handy.

Is the maul handle made of leather?? I'm kind of curious about it.

Chris

Hey Dragon have you talked to Ed (bearman). He makes some fantastic mauls, Ive got a set of his and am very very pleased with them. Price isnt bad either. If you havnt allready give him a PM and look at some of his photos.

Hi MadMax,

I have heard of Ed and looked at some of his mauls, they're gorgeous,too.

The maul handles are beautiful...I think I'll try his maul when I need a lighter maul.

What kind of payment does he accept?

I send a money order to Wayne, then he send me his maul, it took me about 2 weeks to get the maul.

Though it's kind of inconvenience, but Wayne is really a nice guy and I like to take to him...

Chouinardragon

Hi Bobby,

You got me! whistle.gif Though I don't have it, at least I can have a picture of it smile.gif

I'm crazy about his maul, but it seems impossible to have chance to have them anymore.

Bob is really busy, he has to go to trade show, teach classes, make tools...I don't know when I will have my tools I ordered. sad.gif

But, I still have to move on, I ordered a 2lb maul from Wayne Jueschke and received it yesterday. It's good and handy.

Is the maul handle made of leather?? I'm kind of curious about it.

Chris

Hi Chris....yes the handles on Waynes mauls are leather. Barry King makes leather handles on his mauls also.

Bobby

Hi MadMax,

I have heard of Ed and looked at some of his mauls, they're gorgeous,too.

The maul handles are beautiful...I think I'll try his maul when I need a lighter maul.

What kind of payment does he accept?

I send a money order to Wayne, then he send me his maul, it took me about 2 weeks to get the maul.

Though it's kind of inconvenience, but Wayne is really a nice guy and I like to take to him...

Chouinardragon

I think I paid via paypal. I think he will work with other payments but paypal seems to be easy.

It took him less then a week when we decided on weights and style. Then a couple of days for shipping. The material on the maul I like alot. It works very well.

Everybody,

Thanks for the replies and especially the photo. Are his mauls are a one piece casting? That is what it looks like in the photo, to me. If I am wrong, please set me straight.

Bobby, you have a very nice set of mauls, and they look like you have put them to good use! :)

MadMax22, Where can I get Ed(bearman) maul prices? I have been to the site/gallery and never saw a price list.

Thanks again to all.

Fred

I think I paid via paypal. I think he will work with other payments but paypal seems to be easy.

It took him less then a week when we decided on weights and style. Then a couple of days for shipping. The material on the maul I like alot. It works very well.

PM sent

Hi Everybody,

It's great to be back from Christmas visits!! Here is a picture of an original Bob Beard Maul I got several months ago from a personal collection. As far as I know, it's one of the only "new un-used" Bob Beard mauls out there. It's a 16oz, that was originally bought over 10 years ago, & has never been used. I was VERY lucky to have been offered it.

A couple years ago I was very fortunate to have met Bob Beard, & talk to him about my mauls. After showing him what I had believed to be the same material that he used to use in his mauls,,, he tested it, & told me "That's the stuff"! He gave me his blessing to tell everybody about the material & that it is the same as what he used to use. He also told me that he's just not interested in making mauls for a couple reasons,,, the cost & availability of the material it self,,, & he just is too busy. Bob has the #1 "Bob Beard Special" mauls I make, which I made unique, just for him. Bob sends people to me quite often, telling them, if they want one of his old black mauls,, they need to get with me, because it's the same material. Thanks Bob!!

Here are the picturs: Ed the"BearMan"

post-7175-015647700 1293717672_thumb.jpg

post-7175-074854500 1293717707_thumb.jpg

post-7175-016466800 1293717723_thumb.jpg