JamesR

Stitches Per Inch

Hello,

Could someone tell me what would be the maximun amount of stitches per inch when using 6 cord and 7 cord.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

You can use 6 or 7 although I have seen as high as 10. You have to run a few lines at different spacing to see what you want, what looks good to one person may not to the next.

Art

Hello,

Could someone tell me what would be the maximun amount of stitches per inch when using 6 cord and 7 cord.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

You can use 6 or 7 although I have seen as high as 10. You have to run a few lines at different spacing to see what you want, what looks good to one person may not to the next.

Art

Art,

Thanks.

I did not realize I could go that high with cord that thick. I have been using 5 stitches per inch and I am not happy with the look.

I think I'll try 6 and see how well it works for me.

Jim

Hey Jim I use 6 cord pretty much 90% of the time and I use a 8 SPI for it. Looks really good IMHO. I dont think I would go any closer then that but thats just me.

This isnt the best sewing job around but it will give ya an idea of the combination of the 6 cord at 8 spi. Hope this helps.

resized front veiw.jpg

post-5781-127014819432_thumb.jpg

Hey Jim I use 6 cord pretty much 90% of the time and I use a 8 SPI for it. Looks really good IMHO. I dont think I would go any closer then that but thats just me.

This isnt the best sewing job around but it will give ya an idea of the combination of the 6 cord at 8 spi. Hope this helps.

MADMAXX22,

Very nice work!

Thanks for the input, I can see 6 SPI should be no problem. I will have to work my way up to 8 SPI though.

Jim

James, this may be common knowledge, but I'll chime in anyway. The finer stitching is very nice around any project, but make sure to not go too fine on any areas that will receive stress (such as support straps or closure tabs) Too many awl holes will eventually weaken that stress area and cause it to rip, much like the perforated edge of a postage stamp. But if the project would seem compromised by not doing that fine stitching, at least add a rivet in the center to help carry the burden. As I said, this was probably already known, but just thought I'd give a heads up anyway!!

James, this may be common knowledge, but I'll chime in anyway. The finer stitching is very nice around any project, but make sure to not go too fine on any areas that will receive stress (such as support straps or closure tabs) Too many awl holes will eventually weaken that stress area and cause it to rip, much like the perforated edge of a postage stamp. But if the project would seem compromised by not doing that fine stitching, at least add a rivet in the center to help carry the burden. As I said, this was probably already known, but just thought I'd give a heads up anyway!!

Woods,

I can see what you mean. I sometimes wonder what is the strongest combination of cord size and SPI. When I attach Dee rings to the side of a shoulder bag which will be stuffed with books I get a little apprehensive about the long term holding strength.

Jim