cem

Need Some Info On Barry King And Wrangler Swivel Knives

I am looking at buying a decent swivel knife now that I want to try more than just the traditional Australian way of just using modelling spoons when tooling and so have narrowed it down to these two (mainly because they are easier for me payment wise) but as I have no way of trying them out I need to get a little bit more info on them.

From what I have read they are both excellent quality knives but the trouble is I have quite small hands and would prefer something fairly light so would anyone be able to tell me how long the barrel is on both of them, what the complete length is (I'm not sure if they are adjustable or not) and what they weigh. Without being able to try them in person this is probably the best I can go off.

At the moment I have an old non adjustable Tandy knife and an adjustable Midas Nylon both with ceramic blades which I'm not that keen on. Out of the two I prefer the Midas as it's lighter, but it's a little too long even at it's shortest setting so it gets uncomfortable to use after awhile.

Also it's hard to tell from the photos on both of them but do they have fine or coarse checkering on the barrel this is mostly why I don't like the Tandy as I prefer a fairly smooth barrel.

Thankyou for any help

Cheers,

Clair

I use a Leather Wrangler swivel knife and have been very pleased with the way it performs. It is light and is adjustable. If you would contact Paul at pabloz@leatherwrangler.com, I am sure he can give you all the information you need. I do know it is the sharpest blade I have ever used and holds an edge extremely well. Can't say much about the King knives, I have never used one. I do like his stamping tools. The Leather Wrangler knife is double the cost of what the Barry King is, but to me, it has been well worth the cost.

Hope this helps

Terry

Here is a easy one for you. I have a 7/16" Barry King with a 3/8" blade and I hardly use it. I also have a 1/4" Al Gould LW Special with a semi-coarse barrel and a 1/4' blade which started out as a straight blade, but I made it angled about 10 degrees...personal preference. Anyways, I pretty much use my LW for all purpose unless I am going to carve long lines and such. At which time I bust out my old Japanese 22mm barrel with a ceramic blade or my Al Stohlman 5/8" with a 3/8" blade.

For me! I really didn't like the BK knife, but love and use everything else he sells!

Paul is very good to work with and I am getting ready to order a 1/2" barrell knife from him with a grounded down 3/8" blade from him. I don't know what I will do with the rest of my knives??

Either way, good luck!

I have two 3/8" barrel Barry King knives and love to use them when I am needing the smaller barrel. However saying that, I have had some problems with the yokes sticking. I talked to Barry in Sheridan during the show and he said that he figured out what was going on and has fixed the problem. When I did have problems with my yokes he sent me new ones out right away without any questions asked. I haven't used them lately, so I can't tell you whether or not the problem is fixed. I instead have really been using the crap out of my Chuck Smith Leathersmiths in 7/16" barrels. The smoothest knives that I have used. But to go with my Chuck Smith knives I use Barry King blades in them. I really like my knife blades to be thin and he makes them thinner for me when I request him to. Hope this helps out. Have a great day.

I have 2 of Barry's knives and one of the standard Tandy knives with a BK blade in it. I preferred BK's handles because he had a larger size than most and in my previous hobbies I was used to larger, heavier tools. He also did the heavier knurling for me on request.

Haven't had a touch of problems with them and the blades hold a decent edge.

I suspect if you have small hands the LWs will be better for you, especially if they are adjustable. I have the larger BK knives and they have the longer barrel (4 inch overall length) that is .625 inch diameter and weigh about 3.125 oz.

The standard, non-adjustable Tandy knife (for comparison) is 1.25 oz. and 3.25 inches long overall with a .5 inch dia. barrel.

I've got a shorter than normal knife from Barry that I thought I'd like because I've got smaller hands, but I don't use it much. I've got 2 of Paul's knives, and they the ones I use all the time now. If you call them, I think either Barry or Paul will be able to get you something that's the size and shape you want.

I have knives from Barry, Midas, Tandy, Henley, and LeatherWrangler. I must say that I use Paul's knife the most as it is always sharp and ready to go. The blades are very easy to keep sharp. The knurling on it is slightly coarser than the others and I feel that I can control the knife better. The cool colors that they are available in is kinda neat too! Mine is green.

ClayM.

Hi clair, dont forget Peter Mains swivel knife... he also accepts paypal....you can email him for the details, they are on his website...also his modeling tool is worth getting.

Speaking of Peter Main.....His thinned out blade would be something I would very interested in taking it out for ride! As for the spoon, I own them, but don't use them as much. Maybe I need to take a class from Peter cuz his stuff look awesome without beveler work.

Either way, Barry or Paul or even Chuck Smith.......You will not go wrong!

Enjoy

Speaking of Peter Main.....His thinned out blade would be something I would very interested in taking it out for ride! As for the spoon, I own them, but don't use them as much. Maybe I need to take a class from Peter cuz his stuff look awesome without beveler work.

Either way, Barry or Paul or even Chuck Smith.......You will not go wrong!

Enjoy

I can't speak for Barry King's knives because I have never used one. I have a number of different knives from Tandy to Chuck Smith. I took a class on Swivel Knife Techniques from Paul at the Sheridan Show. He did not sell his item at the class, just showed how to sharpen your knives and work on technique. I did go to his booth and tried a Leather Wrangler out. I ABSOLUTLY LOVED IT!!!. The knife is light weight, adjustable, choice of barrell diameters, choice of yoke style. It cuts like butter! I got the slim barrel with the 1/8 " blade, and I plan to save up and pick up a 2nd knife with either a 3/8" or 1/2" Blade. (My daughter has inherited my Chuck Smith as she has larger hands with long fingers.)

Both makers are very reputible and I am sure which ever maker you choose, they will work with you to make sure you are happy with your choice. Good Luck

Peter Main uses Henley knives. I just talked to him.

Peter actually used to sell a modified Henley for lighter leathers. I bought a couple of the blades when he first came out with them many years ago. They work very well on lighter leathers.

I am "poor" on blades and knives. The only one that I don't have at this time is Paul's. I have at least one of each of these....King, Tandy, Tandy Pro, Smith, Beard, Osborne, Russell, Henley and some unknown makers. I have blades likewise from all of the these guys as well as Peter, some ceramics including some beader and hair blades.

One of these days I will have to give Paul a shot. Most people are really singing his praises. The anodized aluminum is a neat marketing deal for the barrels.

I would strongly suggest that you try various knifes out. I have fairly large hands but I generally use a shorter smaller diameter knife. This is more of a carry over from drafting than anything else. I likewise don't use large diameter pens either. If you search some of the older threads you will find some information on helping you select the right height and diameter (or at least get you close to selecting the proper height and diameter for you).

Regards,

Ben

Thankyou everyone,

At the moment I think I am leaning towards the Wrangler as Barry's is alot heavier than the Midas and a bit longer, but I will drop them all an email about custom options. I'm after some bevellers from Barry anyway and a replacement small modelling spoon after a member of my family who shall remain nameless decided it would be a good idea to try and open a paint can with it. I fixed it up the best I could but it's still not the same, so a decent one from Peter payed for by the offending party might discourage them from touching my tools again.

Ben I would love to be able to try all the swivel knives out but it's just not possible where I live, Western Australia is a waste land when it comes to carving/tooling leather, I haven't come across anyone else who does it and the guy who runs the local leather shop said I was the first person in many years to buy stamps the last time I went in there (they still have Craftool stamps from the 70's) and I'm not sure if the overseas makers would be too fond of sending stuff half way across the world only for me to send it back if I didn't like it.

And I'll admit it I like the look of the colours on the Wrangler and if it is the right fit and I was eventually to get two and they happened to be the colours of mine and the offending parties football team it might come about a bit quicker hee hee.

Cheers everyone

Clair

Just say the word and I can send you a couple of my "I don't use" knives for you to try out under one condition......You send them back, please!

Thankyou for the offer Kings X, I'm putting in an order with Wrangler at the end of the week just when I thought I would get some free time the day job gets in the way again but if for some reason I don't like the Wrangler I will take you up on it.

Thanks again

Cheers,

Clair

sounds good...just let me know.

Took a bit longer than I hoped due to various things but finally got my Wrangler today I absolutely love it fits my hand perfectly so you are off the hook Kings X.

Cheers,

Clair