Beaverslayer

Beaverslayer Hat Tutorial

Thanks, Ken. Your tutorials are excellent with all the details. I love the sharing of techniques on this forum. Wonderful!

Great work Ken, You are a real craftsman and thank you for sharing your talents. I've got to make one. But, I've got what some people have termed a buckethead, actually to my face, and most ballcaps and such don't quite look right, makes me look kind of dorky, heck, probably look dorky anyway. I'm going to use the tutorial to make a regular hat. Are there any tips or suggestions you can send my way? Again great work.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Lovely stuff Ken! You know I dig the colour of that brim!

Your tutorials are very good and I think it's a real treat from you to show us all this stuff, tinfoil hats off for this one;-)

To bad I will never wear a leather cap (I actually don't like caps at all) 'cuz my completely bald head (not shaved, really bald) has a funny effect with leather hats. They suck to my head like theres vaccuum and it looks darn funny I can tell you.

I've seen leathercaps before and always felt like they were missing something, now I know. They had no good braids.

It looks great and of course so does all skullstuff to me!

Tom

Mike, thanks so much for the compliment, I do enjoy being able to share with all of you here.

Myriam, the mesh I get fro Fannies Fabric, it is the same stuff they make sport jerseys from. Any fabric shop will know what your talking about if you ask for sport jersey nylon mesh.

bob, I hope to do a tutorial on some of the diferent styles of lacing sometime soon. Johanna has asked a few times if I would do a video on it, but me and cameras don't work well together.

Linda, I'm sure if you were to just modify the back end of the hat where the adjustment strap is, it would work for a pony tail.

Jordan, I know what you mean about the lacing, I tend to do a bit, take a break for coffee and a smoke, then do a bit more. Tend to drink more coffee and smoke more while lacing though.

Gibbs, thanks for the compliment, this forum is full of great people that are always willing to share their knowledge, glad your liking it here.

Tina, thanks for the compliment as well, your work rocks also, and I hope you take home a blue ribbon this weekend.

Curtis, glad you like this one, and as with the vest, can't wait to see the new hat. Just think, you can make it to match the vest.

Banwell, always glad to help out where I can Tom. You yourself have been very helpful to a lot of mask makers, thanks for what you've been doing.

Jim, thanks. After making my first ball cap from leather, it did not look right on my head, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't my head, cause I've been wearing hats for 40 years or so. That's when I decided to just cut it up a bit and change the shape. Many hats and lots of lace later, this is the style I came up with. You could do the same, just experiment with diferent shapes, and also another tip, use the softest and lightest weight leather you can. Deer works real nice, just don't wear it in the rain.

Tom, glad you like the hat. to bad about the vacuum head thingy (gives me funny mental images) also glad to be able to share my knowledge with all of you.

Ken

Hey Beave, I saw a beautiful braided vest today, so I had to ask the guy where he got it. Turns out he's Canadian and some guy up there made it. He couldn't remember the guy's name. It didn't have the tooled yoke, but was braided together like the one you had up on here. It had a zipper instead of snaps. I was thinking "how small could the world possibly be if it turns out it's one of yours, and it ends up in my little neighborhood.

Well Ian as much as I would like it to be, it is not. I have never put a zipper in one of my vests, or snaps for that matter, the style I make all have an open front that will flap in the wind while ridin your Harley.

You can't imagine just how hard it is to lace a zipper into something. When I make custom Luggage, I sometimes have to put zippers in these, and I'll tell you what, it's not an easy task.

They are down there somewhere tho, also in the UK and Wales, so keep your eyes peeled maybe someday.

Ken

Myriam, the mesh I get fro Fannies Fabric, it is the same stuff they make sport jerseys from. Any fabric shop will know what your talking about if you ask for sport jersey nylon mesh.

Cool, thanks, Beaver! :)

well I'll be. A hat. Thats cool. You got some skills brutha!

KK

Ken you are nothing less than Great. Thank you for taking the time to put together such awesome tuts.