UKRay

Adler - Good, Bad Or Just Ugly?

In my search for the perfect sewing machine... yeah, I know, it is never ending LOL... I have finally got to the point where I'm about to buy another one.

I need a machine to stitch fine work (like wallets and soft leather pouches) that my other machines won't do. The big Highlead harness machine is great for big fat thick leather jobs and the smaller Highlead works fine for mid-range work. I mostly use it for stitching together two thicknesses of 2mm veg tan. My ancient but very lovely Singer 29k patcher is rarely used these days and is heading for eBay sometime soon if I can't find a good use for it.

After a good look around, I have been considering Adler machines and wondered what the general feeling was? Are they as good as folk say? Which one would be best for my purpose? I have tried a post machine without much success. I believe I need a small cylinder arm machine - has anyone got a recommendation or suggestion for me?

Has anyone fitted a servo motor to one and did it work out okay? What sort did you fit?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Ray

Ray there are a lot of good machines out there and this is one of them........

clinder arm.....servo motor.....flat bed table attachment, if and when i need it.

also it has a compound walking foot.

the machine is set up for 69 size thread or can be re set for size 138 thread in a jiffey.

try the Juiki out.

post-1906-019187700 1290035992_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luke Hatley

Ray, I have an old Adler 305 I bought new twenty years ago and it's never laid down on the job yet, it's been easy to keep in good tune and made a lot of money for this family. I somewhat recently was in the market for a new small flatbed for the sole purpose of sewing belts. I bought another Adler given the record of the old one, it arrived and I spent three full days trying to set it up and get it to sew nice, the goal was to have a machine that would sew belts ten per inch. After three full days of my best tinkering and driving everybody I knew nuts over the phone the machine never would sew well, and couldn't come close to a beautiful job of ten per inch. I did learn the new Adlers are a lot different than the old ones. I finally paid to ship the machine clear back east to the seller and purchased a Juki. The Juki dealer I found was much more helpful and knowledgeable than the Adler dealer I tried. He sat the machine up to do what I asked it to do before it was shipped and without much adjusting on my part it took right off and has done a beautiful job ever since. It is set up with a servo motor and it has worked well for us. I could have just gotten a lemon with the Adler but given three days and some very good sewing machine mechanics both coaching and coming to the shop to work on it I think we gave it an honest chance to perform and it just didn't seem capable of doing the job.

Ray, I have an old Adler 305 I bought new twenty years ago and it's never laid down on the job yet, it's been easy to keep in good tune and made a lot of money for this family. I somewhat recently was in the market for a new small flatbed for the sole purpose of sewing belts. I bought another Adler given the record of the old one, it arrived and I spent three full days trying to set it up and get it to sew nice, the goal was to have a machine that would sew belts ten per inch. After three full days of my best tinkering and driving everybody I knew nuts over the phone the machine never would sew well, and couldn't come close to a beautiful job of ten per inch. I did learn the new Adlers are a lot different than the old ones. I finally paid to ship the machine clear back east to the seller and purchased a Juki. The Juki dealer I found was much more helpful and knowledgeable than the Adler dealer I tried. He sat the machine up to do what I asked it to do before it was shipped and without much adjusting on my part it took right off and has done a beautiful job ever since. It is set up with a servo motor and it has worked well for us. I could have just gotten a lemon with the Adler but given three days and some very good sewing machine mechanics both coaching and coming to the shop to work on it I think we gave it an honest chance to perform and it just didn't seem capable of doing the job.

CALL COBRA STEVE!!!! You will be glad you did! Ken

Just about every sewing machine manufacter worth thier salt has a walking foot cylinder bed machine. Adler is as good as any of them, but there are also other very fine choices as well. We just sold a new Juki LS-1341 that IMO was very impressive, very smooth and balanced, see here; Juki LS-1340 series

Many thanks, Jim and Luke. Most helpful. The machine I've been looking has been 'factory rebuilt' by an Adler mechanic who lives nearby and I believe it to be around 20 years old. I'll investigate further!

I won't be phoning Cobra Steve, Ken. You obviously didn't read my profile. He is in the US and I'm in the UK so I'm not about to pay to ship a used machine 2000 transatlantic miles when there is almost certainly one on my doorstep. LOL

It is worth mentioning that I do buy needles and bobbins from Steve occasionally and, in the main, I find him very reliable (yes, I'm still waiting for that set-up video you promised to send me, Steve!)... but then I buy stuff from many of the other US dealers too depending on who is offering the best price when I call them up. I would think most folk on here are like me, quite grown up enough to find their own deals without being shoved one way or another. Please leave unsolicited advertising to the dealers, guys - I certainly don't want to see it in the forum.

I have looked at the Juki too, Gregg. I had a problem finding anyone local to me who was prepared to service one - but I agree, they are great machines if you get a good 'un.

Cheers,

Ray

I have an ol' Adler 104 and wouldn't think of parting with it......its old and it is reliable!!! If the machine you're interested in is a 104.....BUY IT, you certainly won't be disappointed!

Hi

If you are already using Highlead sewing machines and they are ok, then they also make a narrow cylinder arm machine with walking foot etc.

Highlead GC2698-1BE model.

Hope this is of help.

My first machine I bought when I started was an Adler 105-64. I bought it used 13 years ago. It is my main machine. I use it nearly every day. All it ever needs is a new needle now and then. (pilot error) Oil and thread. Great Machine---------------Bill

In my search for the perfect sewing machine... yeah, I know, it is never ending LOL... I have finally got to the point where I'm about to buy another one.

I need a machine to stitch fine work (like wallets and soft leather pouches) that my other machines won't do. The big Highlead harness machine is great for big fat thick leather jobs and the smaller Highlead works fine for mid-range work. I mostly use it for stitching together two thicknesses of 2mm veg tan. My ancient but very lovely Singer 29k patcher is rarely used these days and is heading for eBay sometime soon if I can't find a good use for it.

After a good look around, I have been considering Adler machines and wondered what the general feeling was? Are they as good as folk say? Which one would be best for my purpose? I have tried a post machine without much success. I believe I need a small cylinder arm machine - has anyone got a recommendation or suggestion for me?

Has anyone fitted a servo motor to one and did it work out okay? What sort did you fit?

Thanks,

Ray

An Adler is just like any other machine if it is worn out you will not like it if it is almost new it will do a very good job for you. You should look for a Juki also. Juki's are made in Japan not in China they are much better quality than the Chinese machines. Pfaff is another good machine. Are you sure you need a cylinder arm?? A flatbed with walking foot with a speed reducer would work pretty good too. That is what I have 111W155 with a speed reducer it sews around 400 spm. If you need more speed replace the clutch pully and go faster. Just bumping the start peddle on my machine can make 2 or 3 stitches per minute if you need to sew that slowly.

http://www.strima.com/cat/k-2000185/

I don't know if this will help but they are from Europe don't know if they have used machines or not.

That was my 2 cents. Good luck to ya'.

I have a Adler 205-370 and I love it. I bought it new and have never looked back. I have sewn with as light as 69 thread and as high as 415 thread. It has never given me a moments trouble. Based on my personal experience and that of friends with Adlers, I consider them the Mercedes of sewing machines. I am not as familiar with the lighter machines which is what you are looking for, but I have an acquaintance who is an equipment manager for a major league hockey team. He uses a lighter weight Adler to maintain all the players gear and I know he is crazy about his machine. However, based on Jim's experience it sounds like there may be a chink in Adlers armor so I guess the bottom line is you need to try before you buy. Customer service is certainly a huge consideration when buying any machine, especially if you are sewing machine "challenged" as I am, LOL!

Bobby

UKRay,

Like all sewing machinses, it depends on the machine and what you are wanting to sew with it. Adler machines are great but it also depends on how and who set them up. I would like to know the model of the used Adler you are currently considering. I have a 69-373 Adler I am just gettting ready to set up. It is a used machine and I will know maor eabout ti as I ger it set up and sewn off. Give us more on what you want to sew and the size thread you want to use. Servo motors are great if set up properly.

shoepatcher

Thanks,

Ray

Edited by shoepatcher

[

Hello Ray, in 2009 I came in on one of your threads about this and asked for recommendations for a machine for doing outdoor gear repairs. Steve Brambley suggested any of the Adler 69 class machines would be useful for what I was looking for. I bought a Durkopp Adler 069 373 cylinder arm machine from ebay and have never looked back really. The machine has done everything from hundreds of turn ups, rips and zips on nylon waterproof trousers and tops to webbing. It has always put out a really nice stitch and fed all kinds of materials through without complaint. In some rucksacks there is a sheet plastic insert which gives the back shape and which is not designed to be removed. It has sewn through this plastic and still given a neat repair on the cordura which needed fixing. On the thin stuff it has been good at putting out a nice stich without puckering or distorting the material.

Last year I ordered a servo motor. Although it had a good motor on it the speed was problematic. It worked fine but if I was away from my work for a couple of days the speed could still be a shock when you went back to it after a short lay off. I had been replaceing some large clear plastic panels in a tent. A thief had cut them open with a razor to rummage the pockets while the family inside slept....nice... Anyhow I'd nearly finished the last one and had to leave it for a week. When I went back I started up the machine gently put my toe to it and zap. It just went off far too fast for what I wanted and put around a dozen perforations in the window where they should not have been:head_hurts_kr: . So I unpicked it all which took an age and put another piece in but knew really that I did not want that hassle again and the way to go was to get a servo.

I did not find it any problem to fit the servo myself but you can see from the pictures that it has had to be fitted back to front, ie with the switches on the opposite side from where you are sitting. This is because on most tables the way the machine sits you can't fit the motor the other side of the pulley because the table is too short to accomodate the cylinder arm. You overcome this by turning the motor around by changing the connections on the machine so that the motor is running the opposite way but which is now the right way for the sewer. I guess it took around two hours to take the old motor out and to fit the servo. I checked with the manufcturer before I did the wiring alteration and it's been a joy to use. I did take a short video clip when I put the motor in of me stitching 6 pieces of seat belt with the servo motor. The link is

I bought mine off ebay and the same guy is still selling, what appears to be, the same motor, the link is here

I don't do a whole of lot of leather but I've been very happy with the machine that was recommended to me to use. I went for the servo because the original motor, although very good, was designed for people who sit at these machines 8 hours a day and have really well practiced control. Fine if you have that skill but for putting work through in a slow controlled way where you are always on top of whats happening then the servo has been one of the best investments in my sewing equipment.

PS had problems uploading this so the link for the photographs of the machine and servo is here

Just so you guys know I listen to you, I have now purchased a used/reconditioned Adler 69-373 complete with an Efka servo motor and hope to have it delivered in a week or so. Thanks for all the help and advice, it really made a difference.

Ray

I think Adler is the best in terms of parts and how the machine is constructed. Especially the older style with the needle feed system. 1000 better than any walking for AND barely marks the leather,I mainly use a 205-64 and would not be without it, Parts are costly but I think it is worth it given the work we do. Glad you bought an Adler!

Just so you guys know I listen to you, I have now purchased a used/reconditioned Adler 69-373 complete with an Efka servo motor and hope to have it delivered in a week or so. Thanks for all the help and advice, it really made a difference.

Ray

Have an opportunity to purchase an Alder R123. Are they durable for sewing leather?

3 hours ago, Sherryg said:

Have an opportunity to purchase an Alder R123. Are they durable for sewing leather?

No. That model is a domestic sewing machine with drop feed only. Not for any leather over about 4 ounces, with a slick top grain..

Thank you for the advice, Wizcrafs! Appreciated!