1. 1. Have you ever quit smoking?

• Yes, for less than a year
    • Yes, for more than a year
    • Yes, many times
    • No, but I want to
    • No, I never will quit
    • No, never smoked
    • No, but I turn my oxygen tank off first
  2. 2. If you quit successfully, what helped?

• anti-depressant meds
    • nicotine patches/gum
    • candy/gum
    • keeping hands busy
    • change old habits
    • doing the math for the expense
    • health conditions
    • admitting it's inconvenient and stinky
    • guilt from family & friends
    • locked self in local jail (or comparable) for a week
    • other (please explain)
  3. 3. How long were you a smoker?

• less than 1 year
    • 1-5 years
    • 5-10 years
    • 10-20 years
    • 30 years or more

After the 1st 72 hours it is all mental and physical reconditioning, which is way harder than the physiological withdrawl from the nicotine. I have not been able to get over that hump and :bike: I have gone back many times, but take heart there are millions that have quit, you can do it too.

I quit smoking and chewing last November. I would smoke at work and chew at home, so as not to smoke around the little one. I used chantix for two months. I can't say enough about it. About 2 weeks in I had all but forgotten about smoking and chewing. Aside from the occasional "urge". The folks at chantix give you a call everyday to check in on you, it is only an automatted call but it sure helped to keep me focused. You can also track your progress on a web site if you want. I haven't had a single dip or smoke since november, I only have a strange addiction to tooth picks now.

I am really glad to be done, feel like a Million Bucks.

Rob

I quit smoking and chewing last November. I would smoke at work and chew at home, so as not to smoke around the little one. I used chantix for two months. I can't say enough about it. About 2 weeks in I had all but forgotten about smoking and chewing. Aside from the occasional "urge". The folks at chantix give you a call everyday to check in on you, it is only an automatted call but it sure helped to keep me focused. You can also track your progress on a web site if you want. I haven't had a single dip or smoke since november, I only have a strange addiction to tooth picks now.

I am really glad to be done, feel like a Million Bucks.

Rob

Rob: I'm assuming that chantix is an oral drug? I've heard it mentioned here. That's great!

I used to chew pencils & pens (not toothpicks, though), & hold them like cigarettes, because I had a hand that no longer held a cigarette so I had to substitute something for it. There is so much involved in the process of smoking, beyond getting it into the lungs- there is the ritual- getting the cigarette out, putting it between the fingers, then between the lips, the anticipation of the hit, lighting it, then the 'bam!' as it is drawn deeply into the lungs & gives the jolt...

when you do finally quit, you will do a complete lifestyle change, a complete behavioral change, that includes things like: "what the hell will I do with my hand now that I no longer need to hold a cigarette"...

years after I quit, I was walking across a field to watch my younger son practice football, & I happened to look down & saw a pack of cigarettes that someone had dropped. I started to bend down to pick them up, thinking, "OOH, free ciga...", caught myself, straightened up & kept on walking. Nicotine addiction is one horrible bad trip. Keep at it, Johanna. I've been clean 15 years now. I have emphysema from all those bad years, but I did earn it honestly, so I can't complain. And I am the healthiest I have been in years.

Since someone as already mentioned it I will just say to try Chantix. it seems to be helping alot of people quit who were long time smokers that couldn't quit any other way. it's kind of expensive but not as much as smoking

So, how is it going for you, Johanna?

Well, I smoked two cigarettes on Friday...and one yesterday, but none today. I keep telling myself, "I'm not smoking NOW." because I can't think too far ahead or I get overwhelmed. I used to smoke a pack or two a day, so I guess 3 or 4 individual cigarettes a week is a big improvement, but I'm not where I want to be yet, which is 100% quit. For 30 years it's been more than a habit, it's almost a lifestyle.

This lady at church came up to me today and said, "I'm so glad you quit...blah blah blah..." and it turns out she is allergic to smoke, so what I thought was just her being kinda snooty was really that she couldn't stand to be around me because I stunk. I've been stinking for years. (I think my kids tried to tell me that, too!)

So I'm doing okay, but not totally there yet. Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Johanna

I'm on my way to quit for the third time. The first time I stayed out of smoking for 8 years (yeah, really stupid to start again, sh.. happends) the second time it lasted for over 4 years.

I know what to expect...3 weeks of pure hell. You think, dream, talk, eat, cigarettes, that is just the way it is.

I use strong minty chewing gums, don't want to use patches or other substitutes. After 3 weeks the cravings is really not that bad, I just need to stay away from certain situations where a smoke has been "a must".

A strong support from home (means hubby starts smoking outdoors *s*) and some space where you can be grumpy without any hazzle is great:-)

I'm not going to say good luck just... "Break the habbit" :-)

Well, I smoked two cigarettes on Friday...and one yesterday, but none today. I keep telling myself, "I'm not smoking NOW." because I can't think too far ahead or I get overwhelmed. I used to smoke a pack or two a day, so I guess 3 or 4 individual cigarettes a week is a big improvement, but I'm not where I want to be yet, which is 100% quit. For 30 years it's been more than a habit, it's almost a lifestyle.

This lady at church came up to me today and said, "I'm so glad you quit...blah blah blah..." and it turns out she is allergic to smoke, so what I thought was just her being kinda snooty was really that she couldn't stand to be around me because I stunk. I've been stinking for years. (I think my kids tried to tell me that, too!)

So I'm doing okay, but not totally there yet. Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Johanna

I've never met you, and find it a bit strange, but you are in my thoughts quite often because of what you are trying to do. I keep hoping for your success. Keep at it!

Just wait till you're 100% quit. You'll be amazed at how bad it really smells. When people used to tell me I stunk like an ashtray, I just sorta shrugged it off. I thought they just needed something to complain about. Now I understand what they meant. Darn us born again ex smokers :)

There used to be a guy where I worked that smoked heavily, and also smoked cigars in his closed car. I could smell him when he drove into the parking lot without his windows being open. I knew as soon as he walked into the building before I even saw him. Walking into his cigar smoke stench was like walking into a solid object. I had to leave as soon as he walked in. I could not stand to be in the same room with him.

OTOH, even to this day, when someone lights a cig, the very first second or two after it's lit, it smells really good. Sorta makes me want a drag.... But ONLY for the first second or two, and then it just stinks again.

You'll get there, Johanna. Sometimes it just takes practice. I'm still cheering for you!

Hilly

http://www.becomeanex.com/

It is helping me.....

I am not quit yet.... but.... working on it.... the main thing is changing my smoking habits....

and knowing that when I really, really, need a smoke... its ok... until i am completely quit...

Johanna,

You can do it!!! (said like the guy in the crowd in all of the Adam Sandler movies) Keep up the hard work I know you are strongenought to make it!!! I am there with ya, I am in week four of no chewing tobacco. Each day is easier than the one before.

ClayM.

Johanna,

You can do it!!! (said like the guy in the crowd in all of the Adam Sandler movies) Keep up the hard work I know you are strongenought to make it!!! I am there with ya, I am in week four of no chewing tobacco. Each day is easier than the one before.

ClayM.

Yay Clay! Way to go! Is it getting easier for you?

I started at around 12 and smoked until I was 24. I had tried to quit several times after joining the Marines, but, whenever I would drink the urge would win. Having a girlfriend that smoked made it harder too.

I was on a ship for about 8 months. It was an LPH ( Landing Pad, Helocopter. I think) So, when the pilots were doing their thing you couldn't smoke. I remember waiting one night and at about 10pm they announced that the smoking lamp was lit. By the time I got topside (no smoking within the skin of the ship.) Every smoker on the ship was crammed up there to get their fix. I got halfway through my butt when I realized I'd had enough. I gave the rest of my pack away, headed to my berth and tossed the rest of the carton on the table. I threw myself into working out and whenever I felt the urge I would either workout or write letters home to my new girlfriend (now my wife).

I think that, due to the restrictions of being on the ship, where smoking was a PITA, made it alot easier. Most of my closer friends didn't smoke, so that helped. One thing I did do though, was, for awhile, I would keep an unlit cigarrette with me and I would pull it out while playing cards, hanging out or when we would hit port and have a few beers, whenever the urge would hit. by the time I was done with it it was all taped up and tattered. But it helped. After that night, I never smoked a cigarrette again. That was 13-14 years ago.

I know that was a unique circumstance, But I think the key would be, first, REALLY wanting to quit. I hated smoking but just kept doing it? I felt like crap every time and I knew I was going to not smoke anymore eventually.

I think, removing yourself from the environment that makes it easy to smoke. Make a rule no smoking in the house, so you have to go outside to smoke. It might help.

carry a placebo to use when you do the things that normally you would have a cigarrette during. Guys would laugh at me and offer me a light, it would even piss some guys off. I would sit at the card table or at the bar all night with that unlit butt, going through the motions like I was smoking,even inhaling, Silly, but I know it helped.

I would still go topside with all the smokers, with my unlit cig. for the social reasons I suppose, just not as often. I still to this day, during a wedding reception or any type of gathering end up outside with the smokers, shooting the shhhhtuff.

find something else to do. When you're bored, or at least, when I was bored I tended to smoke more. I would keep a running letter to my girlfriend going and mail them out every few days. I brought my guitar and the gym was an easy commute, ( I was on a ship) So I tried to keep busy.

Well, I wish you luck on your endeavor, Everyone. If you really want to quit, You will. Find a way that will work for you and do it. It might take making some changes in your situation to make it stick, but there is a way that will work for you. Good luck

John

Well, I am a dismal failure, because I started smoking again, though not nearly as much. I am going to try to quit again, because I really do want to quit. I made an appt. with my Dr. and think I will try one of the meds like Chantix. The reasons I started again are nothing but excuses, and I'm not satisfied with any of them as justification for buying more cigarettes. Old habits die hard, but this one has to go. I feel like such a schmuck.

Johanna

I think it was Twain, Mark not Shannia, that said quitting tobacco is easy I've done it a million times, or maybe it was Rodgers, Will not Roy. Keep the faith you will kick the evil weed. As a side note I have been unable to quit for more than a week or two but still try. LOL.

(1)I am going to try to quit again, because I really do want to quit. The reasons I started again are nothing but excuses, and I'm not satisfied with any of them as justification for buying more cigarettes. (2)Old habits die hard, but this one has to go. (3)I feel like such a schmuck.

Johanna

(1) Johanna: you just need to be sick & tired of of being sick & tired ... You just need to have that ultimate determination to do it. Drugs help.

Lifestyle change... that's most important. If you go back to the same old , same old, lifestyle, same old patterns of behavior, same old 'whatever', you're gonna fail. pure & simple. you have to do, rather than 'want' to do... wanting & doing are two VASTLY different things...

(2) don't believe the nancy reagan schtick of "just say no". It's not a habit: (habits are for weak willed people & monks- you are neither. ...YOU ARE AN ADDICT!- addicts are helpless in the face of addiction. Addicts will lie, cheat, steal, make excuses- in other words, so whatever it takes to feed that addiction. You will lie (make excuses, etc) to your mother, to your children, swear on your mother's/father's grave= whatever it takes: just so long as you can continue your addiction! Accept that. Roll with that. If you can accept that, you have the power to change (if you can't accept that, you don't have any power to change what you are.- AND you ARE AN ADDICT)

(3) Don't.

See #2 above

think I will try one of the meds like Chantix.

my mother was a heavy smoker for 40+ years and tried it all...and she quit using that chantix and my sister did as well using it...

darryl

Edited by sodapop

I smoked for thirty years three packs a day at the end.

My niece came to visit ,gave me a viral lung infection.

The first week it was hard to smoke. I still did it about

two or three a day. Then after a week with no intent

I never picked up another smoke. The pack laid there

on the end table with my lighter for more than two

years. I had six packs in the fridge which I just threw

away a month ago. I am not sure how long it has been,

since I never said I am quitting. Albeit I believe it has

been about ten years or more. I can tell you it has been

23 since I stopped drinking whiskey and all of its relatives.

Most of my friends smoke which does not bother me

not even in my truck with the windows up. I have to agree

with a couple of the others that said quite simply

"when you want to quit you will" . I have found in my

life when I want to do something I do it. But I can

never do it for anyone else. It has to be for me. Maybe

you just really do not want to quit.Then again I am not

a doctor of the mind. But if you really want to quit

send a hundred dollars along with a 6/7 oz side of

Wickett and Craig leather that you have held in

your hands. I will then put in the word with the

big guy upstairs who in turn will grant you the ability

to stop. If per chance you somehow defy his will ,

send me two hundred dollars the next time and a

side of leather in 8/9 oz. Remember you have to have

held it with both hands while awake on a Tuesday

during a month of the current calender year. It helps

if you had biscuits and gravy for breakfast at least

twice in the last month.If this fails I will personally

hire two of them little Irish green guys to follow you

around and stick you in the butt with a sharp knitting

needle every time you reach for the pack.

WINDY

I smoked for thirty years three packs a day at the end.

My niece came to visit ,gave me a viral lung infection.

The first week it was hard to smoke. I still did it about

two or three a day. Then after a week with no intent

I never picked up another smoke. The pack laid there

on the end table with my lighter for more than two

years. I had six packs in the fridge which I just threw

away a month ago. I am not sure how long it has been,

since I never said I am quitting. Albeit I believe it has

been about ten years or more. I can tell you it has been

23 since I stopped drinking whiskey and all of its relatives.

Most of my friends smoke which does not bother me

not even in my truck with the windows up. I have to agree

with a couple of the others that said quite simply

"when you want to quit you will" . I have found in my

life when I want to do something I do it. But I can

never do it for anyone else. It has to be for me. Maybe

you just really do not want to quit.Then again I am not

a doctor of the mind. But if you really want to quit

send a hundred dollars along with a 6/7 oz side of

Wickett and Craig leather that you have held in

your hands. I will then put in the word with the

big guy upstairs who in turn will grant you the ability

to stop. If per chance you somehow defy his will ,

send me two hundred dollars the next time and a

side of leather in 8/9 oz. Remember you have to have

held it with both hands while awake on a Tuesday

during a month of the current calender year. It helps

if you had biscuits and gravy for breakfast at least

twice in the last month.If this fails I will personally

hire two of them little Irish green guys to follow you

around and stick you in the butt with a sharp knitting

needle every time you reach for the pack.

WINDY

:NEWFUNNYPOST: LOL!

Johanna, just keep trying. Most people need practice to quit. Some day you'll get there, and I hope in the meantime those little Irish green guys give you no rest!

Johanna, I have the perfect solution for you. You can take it as a threat if you so desire. You have ONE MONTH yes you read that right. ONE MONTH, if you do not quite smoking by July 4th INDEPENDANCE DAY for all my American friends. The tin foil hat comes OFF...yes OFF.

I don't know if you saw the pics of me sandblasting in "All about Us" well you can't tell from the pics, but I am wearing the tin foil hat under that helmet that feeds me air.

Now Independance Day is the PERFECT day to say "I am INDEPENDANT" and no longer dependant on smokes. I know you can do it. If the little train did it, SO CAN YOU.

ONE MONTH Johanna, and we all know the hell you'll be in if the tin foil hat comes OFF

I read a Stephen King short story called "Quitters, Inc." I think many years ago. People signed up to quit with this company and were followed and watched. When they smoked, loved ones were abducted and had fingers cut off. Some people were horrified and quit, some people let it happen over and over again. At seventeen the story disturbed me, as it was a perfect metaphor for all addiction. An addict will lie cheat and steal. The first couple cigarettes I smoked again were on my back porch, away from my whole family, because I was ashamed of myself. Would I cost them a finger for a cigarette? I quit drinking in 1993 and it wasn't so bad. I dieted off 100 lbs and learned to live with it. I know smoking is dumb and bad for me, but I still want to. What is wrong with me?

Beave, don't you dare take the tin foil hat off, especially while sandblasting. It's our lucky hat, and you know we need it. Hmmm Independence Day, I like that though. It falls right in between my daughter's birthday and mine, and me being smoke free would be a good gift to myself. Her father and I always celebrated our anniversary on July 4th, too. (He died of a massive heart attack at age 50, a three pack a day smoker.) See what I mean about Steven King's chopped off fingers? They are everywhere! But I walked up to the counter and said, "Give me a pack of Salem Slim Light 100s" just like I have a million times, and I dug around in the truck for a lighter that worked. I'm not proud of myself. And it tasted good and familiar and I smoked the second one. And I knew I was going to finish the pack, even if it was just one or two a day. My family just shook their heads and rolled their eyes...she's smoking again.

Johanna

Johanna -

I would say that you have a very good track record going for you. 100 pounds is really something to be proud of! Not drinking is something to be really proud of! Just one more to go.

I've read that Stephen King story. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. Definitely makes you think. I wonder if cutting off loved one's fingers doesn't work if cutting off the smoker's fingers and toes would? Sooner or later we wouldn't be able to light one up. I also read "Thinner". To this day I won't eat strawberry pie. Wonder why one "stuck" in my head and not the other?

Try the Chantix. Make sure you take it with food, it's a bit hard on the stomach. I took mine with supper, but I think it may have been better taking it in the morning.

I felt so good after 2 months, it was amazing, then one slip up (wasn't taking the Chantix) and I was back at the counter, ashamed and pissed off. But just having that pack was such a relief... that was a year ago. I changed some things and have not gone back to the 2 packs a day. (Less than 1 pack a day now).

There are lots of us that need some extra practice and help to get there. My best friend quit each time she was pregnant and nursing her 2 kids. Just stopped. Then after the nursing was done, poof, right back at it. She is still trying to quit for good. We talk about it, encourage each other, and bam we're both right back at it. Why is this so hard?

I wasn't a memeber during the great crash. However, I can imagine the agony

if Beaverslayer takes off that tin hat... He has me worried.

Crystal

I'm not big into additives but the patches helped me a lot. I only used them for the first week, just to get me over that first 'I will rip your face off if you don't give me a cigarette!' phase. After that it was relatively smooth going. I still miss one every now and again. And dammit! they still smell good to me, even after nine years!

Shirley

Johanna, I've smoked for 35 years now. I have only tried to quit once, and that took laser therapy, and hypnosis. It only lasted about 3 weeks. I know the hell people go through when they try to quit. I come from a long line of smokers, and as the Stephen King book goes, lost a lot of fingers because of it. But it is My Choice to smoke, and for whatever reason I choose to give, it is my choice.

I think that along with your own will power, the Chantrix, or the Patch or whatever, you will also get all the encouragement you need from all the people here on Leatherworkers that love you.

That being said, YOU HAVE UNTIL INDEPENDANCE DAY that's it, then the hat DOES COME OFF, your choice, as it is your choice to smoke.

Johanna, don't give up you can quit. I did after 32 years, it can be done but it's the hardest thing I've ever done. Not only is it a physical addiction but it's also a life style addiction. You get used to taking a cig break, after meal smoke, before going to bed smoke, getting up smoke, etc. Do the patches if it helps, if they don't work go to your doctor, they can prescribe various drugs that will help a lot.

The other thing I had to do was break the life style. After meals, getting done with a task where I would normally take a smoke break, going to bed and getting up; you have to find something else to take the place of cigs at these times. Eat a piece of fresh fruit or raw veggies, get involved in something else as soon as you complete a task. Toss the ash trays and lighters (man that was hard for me), then wash all your clothes to get rid of the smoke smell. When you want a smoke go pound some leather, get on Leatherworker, read a book, anything that takes your mind away from cigs. Each month it will get easier to stay off cigs. But I have to say that whenever I REALLY get stressed, I still find myself patting my shirt pocket looking for that pack of smokes. It's been over 12 years since I quit and the urge is still there. Like going thru AA, you can't ever give in to the urge again.

If you need someone to talk to, email me and I'll give you my cell number. I'm available 24 hours a day, my phone is always with me. Would be glad to help. Keep plugging away, you'll make it.

John

Edited by gunfighter48

make sure you drink alot of water every day that helps a lot