Sign in to follow this  
megabit

Grrrr

Finished up my hobbles last night, well sort of. I screwed up the second interweave on the big buttons, so I guess it is time to cut them off and start over. Anyone else have trouble keeping track of the right path for the second or third interweaves?

I think before I try again I'll practice some with paracord to try to get it down better. Anyone got any suggestions to help me keep track of those interweaves?

The best way to keep track of the interweaves for me is to add another color.

I agree, interweaves with different colors is alot easier. One thing I noticed that also made it easier is that even if you are using the same color, use 2 strings. If you try and start a new interweave from the same string as the original string, once you get back around to crossing that very first pass, it doesnt want to work just right. Not sure why that is, but it just doesnt work for me.

Hope that helps,

CW

I have to agree with the two colors. That is about the only way I can get that done right.

Yea a different color certainly helps. I played with 3 colors of paracord last night. A color each for the foundation, 1st interweave and 2nd interweave. I think I found where I was going wrong before you have to cross over the 1st interweave when you turn back or you are on the wrong side to properly split the pairs. Now I guess I'll have to cut off the buttons and give it another go.

Here is a picture of the hobbles with the screwed up buttons, they don't really look to bad from a distance or if you don't know what you are looking for. ;)

5345456208_b7a400a594_b.jpg

IMG_3552 by ss1442, on Flickr

..looks an absolute perfekt work !!!

Arno

..looks an absolute perfekt work !!!

Arno

Nope not even close, on one of the big buttons the run pattern has several spots where it is wrong like U1O1U1 where it should be u3. The other big button got a little bunched on one side so it has some gaps on the other side. Won't be the first knot I have cut off something and retied. :ranting2: Sure is tempting to just use it but it would bug me everytime I looked at it. :rolleyes2: I am sure it won't be the last one I cut off either.

well the rest of it looks really good.

Here is a close up of one of the buttons with the problem. I think I understand how to fix it now. I cut off the buttons last night but didn't have time to start the buttons yet.

5349005527_15b982f50a_z.jpg

badbutton by ss1442, on Flickr

It can be a little confusing at times. But I have been able to count strings to figure out where to send things through. It works alright on 2 or three pass. a little harder on 6, 7 and 8 passes. My eyes start to get crossed.

Seems like the problem is that you don't find the mistake until you go to split later and it would be pulling out a couple of time around.:ranting2:

I think it's just a matter of practice, and then being careful how you lay in each pass. I did one of these to over and under 17 once, in thread... but it was not that bad, although it took me forever, and I had to just stop and patiently think every now and then. So cheer up, I bet the one you do after this will be a piece of cake!

Also, if I'm doing a knot and come across a part that looks wrong, I am very willing to just undo a little bit, sometimes just taking things back a little, and then going forwards again. To me this is easier than going forwards when you know something is not right. As soon as something is not laying the way I think it should, I stop and analyze as carefully as I can and then go back as far as necessary to get it right again.

Gday Mega

look-n very nice now mate

I must agree with HorsehairBraider ! the more you do the better you get and keeping an eye on your parrallels, (making sure you split them )

But as i said , look-n very nice now mate , so you have got it now and i cant wait to see the next , I am sure you will find it easier from now on

Cheers from Oz

www.bwrwhips.com

nice job !!! Megabit

as usual you keep getting better and better every time.

just as a hint when ever i make a PK with more than two passes i just simply look at where the bits are "nesting" if looked at horizontally each bite on the left will run under the last pass and on the right the bites run above the last pass but under the outer bite of the foundation knot. not sure if im very clear but if you have Tom Halls books he explains "nesting" very well. take and congrats again.

those look great megabit....

:thumbsup::banana::clapping: They look even better on a horse in use.

It is nice to see gear in use. I have any number of times seen something I've made a year or so later in use and thought "Man that's a nice looking piece of gear" then realize it's something I made. Less often than when I started it was stuff that when it was hanging on my wall I wanted to throw it away. I agree with everyone else, your gear is getting better with every piece you make. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Rob

Use kangaroo so you pull out your string and start over, and over and over and over.....which I've done many, many times. I've got it pretty good now, I don't even have to use a different color most the time.

I love the look of the finished product.

Hi MB, just wanted you to know that I feel your pain. I did the same dang thing last night while working on a button. And I had even switched to a different color string. :ranting2: