Sign in to follow this  
HorsehairBraider

12-Strand Gaucho

Hi people - I have not been around for a while but have time now to join in once and a while.

I don't usually use a 12-strand gaucho braid in my work, but a customer asked specifically to have a bracelet made of it so I did one and thought you'd like to see. This bracelet commemorates two horses that belong to the customer and I think she'll be pleased with how it came out.

post-5309-035716600 1294777838_thumb.jpg

Here is a close-up so you can see it better:

post-5309-028414000 1294777890_thumb.jpg

I think its amazing...i have enough trouble braiding leather! The two colors together are very nice.

that looks AWESOME!!! really really nice....

Looks very beautiful. :surrender:

What knots did you use?

..absolute perfect Style :notworthy:

from Germany

Arno

Very nice. How many ways can it be said?

Thank you very much!

Knots used are a pineapple for the ends and they are on a 7 part 6 bight casa or foundation knot. The sliding adjuster knots are herringbone knots, on a 5 part 4 bight casa. Under the herringbone is a ring knot. Everything is of two passes.

When you braid horsehair do you coat your strands in some kind of cream to get them to stay together and uniform?

I love looking at your stuff HH. Thanks for putting it up.

Rob

When you braid horsehair do you coat your strands in some kind of cream to get them to stay together and uniform?

No, I just wash it.

I get asked a lot if I coat the hair with something, it's one of the questions on my FAQ page. I never even thought of doing it, even back when I was teaching myself to do it. It must be an obvious thing to do and I'm just not smart enough to think of it. But all I do is wash it really well in hot water and Dawn dish washing liquid.

I think this is awesome. Great colours and great work.

Absolutely amazing! I was curious too, about if you treated the hair. I've played around with braiding hair a little bit but it turns out all fuzzy. I ran into a lady who braids horse hair in a nearby town and she offered to teach me some - now if I can carve some time out to do it. Does the phrase 'too many irons in the fire' ring a bell?

Once again, beautiful work!

Jacquee, Your work is beautiful!

A few years back we had to put down an old friend (Morgan Gelding), My daughters best friend.

We have his tail hairs, just sitting in a dresser. What could you do with that amount of hair?

Thanks Billy