newfiebackflip

How Come I Have Never Seen This Stamp In The Tandy Catalogue?

A BSA summer camp that I taught handicrafts at one time had one of those, but didn't use it. The next year I had some extra stamps that I was going to trade for ii, but someone broke into the lodge, and stole the stamping tools. That was the only one that I had ever seen until now. I figured that it was pre WWII due to the design. Swastikas are very old symbols, and have been use by many cultures. I would have no problem using that stamp today, and use it to educate people about its historical usage.

actually, i saw that tandy had that in their catalog (in a set) until either the 1957 or '58 issue.

eric

There is a nearly comple set of the Indian Craftool series up for bids on eBay now. The wheel of life tool is included. For more info on this series check out my blog.

I'd love to get my hands on one of those. Anybody know where else they can be found? I use the whirling logs symbol quite often.

001-2.jpg

004-3.jpg

Edited by manji

That is one of the strangest things I have ever seen on this site. :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2:

Please explain exactly just what the heck that is in the first picture.

As for getting a wheel of life stamp, I believe there will be one up for bids on eBay in the very near future.

As to the origin of the design, it is pretty well established that it arose at many differant places around the world. Hitler probably got it from his interest in the Aryan culture which came out of India.

the word swastika is derived from the sanskrit word svastika which means welfare. As others have already mentioned it's ancient symbol used in different parts of the world (it actually appears on coinage from ancient mesopotamia). Hilter took the japanese version of the swastika called a manji, which moves in the counterclock wise direction and is considered a buddhist or solar symbol, and used it for their own purposes. it's a shame that such an acient symbol has such negative associations today...

the svastika was used as a symbol of luck . the wikipedia entry has a photo of a piece of greek pottery that is from 780 b.c. that has that on it.

Here is a scan of a page from a R T Frazier catalog that I have from the 1920s. I made some cuffs with a stamp that I have some time ago, pics are in my gallery if you would want to take a look. I cought some flack from one of our fellow leather workers for posting them. I hope he has been following this thread.

Sorry about not changing the picture size, Ididn't notice until after I posted it.

post-9374-045762300 1301098382_thumb.jpg

Edited by cgleather

Thanks for posting the pics of the old saddles. I am glad you posted them in hi-res as I saved them to one of my files.

Still no answer on the jaw-spur................jawur ????

Here is a couple of scans from the 1931 Porter catalog. The top of all the pages in the catalog are decorated with the "whirling log" motif. I also scanned a page of belts which featured a riding belt which is decorated with spots done in the "whirling log" pattern. One of these catalogs has a pair of chaps with the "whirling log" pattern done with spots, but I couldn't find it. As I mentioned before, this was a very "cowboy" symbol.

As a side note....the saddle shown is an excellent example of old Porter tooling. Also the photo in the corner is a picture of a guy bull dogging at the Prescott Frontier Days, which in itself is not unusual...but look at the size of that steer!!!!

Bobby

post-7682-021067500 1301166407_thumb.jpgpost-7682-036698800 1301166408_thumb.jpgpost-7682-065759500 1301166410_thumb.jpgpost-7682-033999200 1301166412_thumb.jpg

...but look at the size of that steer!!!!

:cowboy: Grandpa always said, " It's not the size of the man in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the man" ........ so maybe that is just a small dogger.

That is one of the strangest things I have ever seen on this site. :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2:

Please explain exactly just what the heck that is in the first picture.

That would be a human mandible spur. Isn't that what everyone uses??

There is currently a set of four stamps including a version of that one going on ebay here: 4 Stamping Tools

They are from a seller in Scotland and are currently £ 15 for the four with almost three days left.

Great post. I came late to this party!

Does anyone make this stamp now? Why not?

Here is a page from old McMillen catalog which shows 3 sizes they offered the tool in at one time

The swastika (Sanskrit: स्वस्तिक) is an equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles, in either right-facing (卐) form or its mirrored left-facing (卍) form. Earliest archaeological evidence of swastika-shaped ornaments dates back to the Indus Valley Civilization of Ancient India as well as Classical Antiquity. It remains widely used in Indian Religions, specifically in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.