Wondering what others use to sand the edges of their holsters. I currently use a Dremel but would like to try something different to help decrease my time sanding . Do some use a spindle sander, belt sander, etc.? I don't mind investing some money but haven't used anything besides my Dremel and hand so far. All advice is appreciated.

Thanks...

Gary

Faster than a dremel? Oof. I'm still using a paint stick wrapped in sandpaper. :crazy:

Harbor freight 1x30 belt sander w/ 80 grit. Be careful, it removes leather FAST. You also need a light touch to keep from burning the leather. You can use finer grits for a smoother edge, but that just happens to be what I have.

A sanding drum on a spindle sander or chucked up in a drill press would also work well.

** save all your leather dust for embossing**

I use a drill press with sanding drums of various sizes. I also have a little sanding drum for my dremel that I use to get into the really tight curves around sweat shields, but I also mount that in my drill press.

I had been using a dremel and a sanding drum mounted in a drill press for rough sanding. Then hand sanding with 400 grit paper to smooth. Last week I purchased a Jet oscillating spindle sander, and it was one of the best investments I've ever made. It leaves a perfectly square and smooth edge so fast it just amazes me. Super easy to control the leather into the sanding spindle and keep it all square. It was a little expensive, but saves a lot of time and the sanding job is much more consistent. Came with spindles ranging from 1/4" to 2". I looked at several different ones, and the Jet was the only one that had a 1/4" spindle, which is perfect for sanding belt slots.

I use a homemade spindle sander for my heavy sanding then a dremel with a hand piece for my small or light detail stuff.

Dremel with sanding drum on slightly wet leather. Cant imagine anything being much faster?

Harbor Freight spindle sander. Works like a dream and about $89 when on sale.

I had been using a dremel and a sanding drum mounted in a drill press for rough sanding. Then hand sanding with 400 grit paper to smooth. Last week I purchased a Jet oscillating spindle sander, and it was one of the best investments I've ever made. It leaves a perfectly square and smooth edge so fast it just amazes me. Super easy to control the leather into the sanding spindle and keep it all square. It was a little expensive, but saves a lot of time and the sanding job is much more consistent. Came with spindles ranging from 1/4" to 2". I looked at several different ones, and the Jet was the only one that had a 1/4" spindle, which is perfect for sanding belt slots.

Thanks for the information. A spindle sander is the direction I've been looking at.

Thanks. I've been looking at the spindle grinder option.

I use a homemade spindle sander for my heavy sanding then a dremel with a hand piece for my small or light detail stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

I use a drill press with sanding drums of various sizes. I also have a little sanding drum for my dremel that I use to get into the really tight curves around sweat shields, but I also mount that in my drill press.

Thanks for the information.

Thanks. I'm going to look at this option.

Lately I've trimmed most of my stuff close enough that my dremel works. On a bit bigger jobs, or belts, I'll use a drum sander.

One of the best things I have found is the flexible sanding drum with the sandpaper flaps that have the nylon scrubby things between the flaps, like these -

5496%20Flap%20sanding%20wheel%20Scotch_thumb.JPG

They work great on sanding rounded edges quickly. It conforms to the edge nicely, especially after a little groove gets worn in. Wet your edge and it will nearly be burnished. The ones I've been using are 2" H x 3" diameter I think, whatever I have found at Menards or Home Depot.

Like anything,, no one tool does it all. The dremel gets the most use. As a matter of fact, my Harbor Freight Dremel wannabe just died and I need to replace it. I also have a battery powered dremel, but I don't get near enough life out of the battery as I would like.

I use a Dremel (maybe 5% ), . . . a drum sander mounted in a drill press (maybe another 5% ), . . . but 90% of all my sanding is done on a cheapie belt sander I paid either 40 or 50 bucks for at Harbor Freight.

It does my holsters, . . . mag pouches, . . . and OoooLaaaaLaaaa, . . . does it ever do belts. I would quit making belts if I had to use much of anything else. I can even up a 40 inch belt blank in all of about 3 minutes with it, . . . maybe 5 minutes on a bad day.

Like earlier said: it eats leather for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, . . . you need to be careful with it. I, too, use 80 grit on mine.

It also is impossible to keep clean, . . . even with a vacuum pulling all it can while you sand. That is just a hazard you learn to work with.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use a sanding block. It only takes a minute!

Keep in mind that power tools only make the job go faster, not necessarily better. They can also make you screw up things faster. You don't have to run out and buy a lot of equipment in order to do the job, as gregintenn points out.

The Dremel is a great tool, but it hits a very small area and it's not the easiest way to even out a long edge. Belt sanders are much faster and much better for that, but they don't do well on tight turns. If you don't want to spend the money on a belt sander right now, then try a sanding block first and then use the Dremel for finishing.

I a fortunate that I also make knives so I have alot of equipment that can be dual purpose.My main machine is my Burr-King, which is variable speed, and good for the long edges.For smaller curves,I built a small wheel sander with a 1" wheel, and a 1/2" wheel, cleans those holsters and sheaths right up.Dave

shop26.jpg

fe56b603.jpg

I use a regular table mount wood belt sander 4x36 . But you need to flip the sander to where it turns toward you instead of away from you. On mine there was a bolt or nut i had to loosen to flip it. I work on the end of it and i use a 50 grit belt to get things even. The smaller grits fill up to quick and quit cutting. It was a 100.00 i think when i bought it 6 or 7 years ago.

Dremel Belt / Disc Sander mdl 1731 combo for some, Dremel Roto for some, hand for some and also a Sanding Sponge set I picked up from Discount Auto in three different grits. Being Sponges these work really well for rounding edges evenly before burnishing.

I LOVE my RIDGID Oscillating Sander !! Works super good.

sander.jpg

+1 to Harbor Freight 1x30. Well worn 80 grit Zirconia belt and a damp edge gives EXCELLENT results. As stated, inside curves are more difficult so I use a dowel rod wrapped with 120 grit for those that are too tight for the belt. The belt sander is also much gentler on those pesky soft overlays. Worked wonders on rounding the edges on a glove-soft alligator overlay I am working on.