carr52

Deer Antlers

Got a bunch of horns from the guy at the meat locker. Now I just need to figure out what to do with em. I have a fe ideas but would like to here from you guys.

Tom

IMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPG

post-6291-1212709941_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1212709967_thumb.jpg

Car52..........I see a lot of Knife Handles..... powder measures.....and buttons laying there.

also light fixtures -gun racks, and the list goes on..........you'll figure it out.

Car52..........I see a lot of Knife Handles..... powder measures.....and buttons laying there.

also light fixtures -gun racks, and the list goes on..........you'll figure it out.

I've did the knife handle and gun rack thing. Thinking about using one of them for the handle of a whip. I've got a 8' core for one started. Waiting on some hemp twine to come in before I can finish it. I thank you for the input.

Tom

They're great for slicking edges.

ArtS

Got a bunch of horns from the guy at the meat locker. Now I just need to figure out what to do with em. I have a fe ideas but would like to here from you guys.

Tom

IMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPG

And you missed the obvious answer...

Ship them to your leather pounding friends!

They're great for slicking edges.ArtS
Good idea. Been wanting to do that. Thank you.Tom
And you missed the obvious answer...Ship them to your leather pounding friends!
Hey there. Check out the the deer processing guys. Thats where I got these. If they dont have any they can let the hunters know you want some.Tom

I cut off the tines to 2-5 inches and put an eye screw in the top and then tie a good rawhide knot , attache a key ring and sell them for key chains. some ladies like the longer ones for protection.

..or you can just leave 'em laying around like that until you need them, I mean they are natural works of art and makes a rather nice display by themselves.

One thing I thought about doing with elks horns is to make one of those lamps that you put on bookshelfs or paintings to illuminate the objects. Those small LED lamp kits would be perfect for this. All you need is a antler with a good bend so the lamp can illuminate the picture or whatever properly.

Tom

I see several Ink Pens and Predator Calls Sitting there in your pile.

Working with antler on a lathe does take some different techniques than working with wood though. Sanding dust is a lot finer from antler and the smell, almost reminds me of branding cattle smell. Antler is fun to work with and there will never be 2 the same.

I WOULD LIKE TO ADD A .....CAUTION..... DO NOT BREATHE THE DUST FROM SANDING THE ANTLERS

USE A MASK AND A FAN TO BLOW THE DUST AWAY FROM YOU....

One thing I thought about doing with elks horns is to make one of those lamps that you put on bookshelfs or paintings to illuminate the objects. Those small LED lamp kits would be perfect for this. All you need is a antler with a good bend so the lamp can illuminate the picture or whatever properly.

Tom

Now that is a slick idea or should I say that is a cool idea or should I say

that is sic or just how do the young folks say neat idea Tom.Anywho I

think you get what I am saying really nice idea.

WINDY

Tom

Now that is a slick idea or should I say that is a cool idea or should I say

that is sic or just how do the young folks say neat idea Tom.Anywho I

think you get what I am saying really nice idea.

WINDY

Thanks Windy!

Thought of making a leather picture someday from one of my elkphotos and when I got my elkhorns the idea just lent itself. They have that perfect shape to function like that.

Tom

Some of you guys have experience with antlers, how about horns? I have two yaks horns that need to be polished. They're right off the skull at this point. What's the best way to go about making them pretty?

Kathy

Kathy, I will try and find out what you need to do to clean them up from some guys that make Predator calls out of them. Some of these guys get them so polished up you can see reflections from them.

Is it true that deer antlers make good burnishers? If so, you can sell some pieces for burnishing. I'd take a couple, as I haven't seen many deer around New York City.

Ed

Some of you guys have experience with antlers, how about horns? I have two yaks horns that need to be polished. They're right off the skull at this point. What's the best way to go about making them pretty?

Kathy

Kathy,

I have never had the pleasure of polishing Yak anything.However I have

polished a cow horn tip or two. I start by sanding with 600 grit sandpaper.

If it is real rough to where you have to get out dips you may want to start

with 150 or there abouts, depending on whether you want the dip out.

Once you progress through the finer grits up to 800 I switch to my cotton

wheels with the metal polishing compounds. You can buy these at most

auto parts places and Sears in the tool department. You can mount them

in a hand held drill and polish away. I usually cheat and mount mine in the

drill press or I use the ones on my lathe. It is much easier on the drill press

opposed to the hand held drill.I believe the kit you can buy from Sears has

four grades starting with the black then brown then red then white. I may

have the black and brown backwards. Alas it tells you on the package which

is which. I get a super shine on the horns using this method. Albeit time

consuming as hecky pooh pooh. I have only polished cow tips and would

not look forward to polishing a whole big horn. Let us not mention that

when sanding cow horns at high speed the horn smells like flesh burning.

Not a very pleasant smell mind you.The following link is to the kit at

Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00928650000P

WINDY

now that you have them polished up .. why don't you get your self a sewing needle and ink and try your hand at scrimshaw.. antlers,horn, ivory..all work great..

Is it true that deer antlers make good burnishers? If so, you can sell some pieces for burnishing. I'd take a couple, as I haven't seen many deer around New York City.

Ed

Antlers make great burnishers. I've even seen them all polished up with wooden handles, as is you'd need all that! I use a small antler with a fork in it.

Windy, thank you for your help, and Grampa, thank you for your potential help! When I smell the flesh burning, I'll think of how the rotten yak treated me before the contract went out on his life. That will bring a smile to my face. Take that, you foul yak!

As for the scrimshaw, hiloboy, mind if I send the horns to you????

Kathy

antler.jpganyone for carving Moose Antlers?

post-1906-1214017837_thumb.jpg

Windy, thank you for your help, and Grampa, thank you for your potential help! When I smell the flesh burning, I'll think of how the rotten yak treated me before the contract went out on his life. That will bring a smile to my face. Take that, you foul yak!

As for the scrimshaw, hiloboy, mind if I send the horns to you????

Kathy

Kathy,first you got to send it to Windy for polish and cleaning :yes: no burned yak at my house only if its on my grill :spoton:

Kathy,first you got to send it to Windy for polish and cleaning :yes: no burned yak at my house only if its on my grill :spoton:

If I was Kathy I would be afraid to send Windy (me) the horns on account of they

may not make it back. Also they would have to come with a few ribs for my smoker.

WINDY :P

I gotta tell ya, there's nothing better on the grill than a bit of yak! I'll take the steaks over the ribs! Yum!

Maybe I should send them (the horns) to Luke for a little carving. Looks like he enjoys moose, maybe yak will be as much fun.

ThomasHughesPortrait_reduced.jpgyak lady i will admit ,i did not do the Moose Antler carving.

but point me in the direction of that Yak and we will have Meat- Hide and Horns :Lighten:

post-1906-1214351704_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luke Hatley