I am thinking that I need a new machine for making chaps, I want something that I can sew from the zippers in shotguns to sewing a 7-8 oz carved belt on two layers of chap. I looked at the artisan 618-1 SC LTHR at Sheridan this year. Wondering what you all sew your chaps on and what machines you like for this job. kind of an opinion poll.

thanks much

Steve

Hi Steve, I bought the Artison 618-1 sc LTHR this past year, and trully like it. My last machine struggled with yokes and side panels on chaps, where this one never hesitates. The servo motor with the reducer has lots of torque, but as slow as I need to be. It even makes my stitching look good. LOL

Randy

Steve,

Great to meet you in Sheridan. I have had the Artison 618-1 sc LTHR for a couple of years. Sews slow enough for me. I really like it and would buy one again. And oh--the service is great. I have been able to solve any issues over the phone.

Doug

1245 Pfaff for the simple reason you cannot wear a Pfaff out. The 145 Pfaff is a graet chap machine that uses the 135 needle system while the 545 and 1245 use the longer 190 system and we all know how much better a longer stroke is. Greg

Steve. I have to agree with Greg. The Pfaff 1245 is an outstanding machine which you could not kill with an axe. I have 6 at work and not one has ever skipped a beat. It will definately do what you want and then some. The 1245 can be fitted with numerous different feet eg piping, zipper as well as a binding attachment. It would be a great machine for items like your gear bags as well.

Barra

Steve, I bought one of the Artisan 618 SC that you mentioned about 18 months ago as a second belt and chap machine. I have not yet been satiisfied with the quality of the stitching. I have sent it back to the factory for troubleshooting, but still does not stitch properly. My Juki LU 563 works well. Keith

Steve,

I bought a Consew 226R 10 years and since then have bought 2 more for belts and chaps, They sew the real fine stitch that I like. These machines are pretty simple to work on and fine tune.

I have a Chandler 305-64. I've had it for over 20years with very few problems. I don't have any problem at all sewing the yokes on the chaps, it's plenty stout enough for that. I also use it for sewing heavy canvas and leather alforjas bags and half breeds for Deckers and I don't need to adjust between projects, other than change needles of course for the lighter thread on the chaps.

Steve, I been running a Artisan 797ab, paid 300 for it used and threw a servo on it. It seems to do a pretty good job. I can go thru 3-4 layers of 5 oz ok. I have sewn 5 layers on it, so far I am happy. It will go through 8-9oz and 2 layer of chap no problem. The servo really makes a difference. The folks at Artisan are great to deal with. I would like to move up to the 3000 or 4000 to do saddles. I will keep the 797 though.

Regards,

Tom

Steve,

Artisan has offered to replace my 618 at their expense. Apparantly I had not made it clear to them that I was not satisfied with the machine and they are willing to do everything possible to make me happy to the extent of replacing the machine if necessary; and all at my disgretion. One cannot ask for better service.

Keith

Steve,

Artisan has offered to replace my 618 at their expense. Apparantly I had not made it clear to them that I was not satisfied with the machine and they are willing to do everything possible to make me happy to the extent of replacing the machine if necessary; and all at my disgretion. One cannot ask for better service.

Keith

Keith, I'll certainly agree with you that Artisan service and customer satisfaction is about the best here is to be had. They set the standard as far as I'm concerned.

I'd be very curious as to what caused your disatisfaction with your 618. I don't have or use a 618, but I have had flawless production and success with my 797ABLTHR and my Toro 4000 (I would have gotten the T 3000 but it wasn't born yet). Early on in my ownership of both machines I was able to trace any minor problems I had back to operator error and not the fault of the machine. I'm not questioning your experience or ability, but just wondering if that could be a factor in your case.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Operator error is certainly the most common problem with stitching! That is the primary reason for the time span in troubleshooting this machine. I have had several new workmen over the past two years and bought this machine for them to stitch belts. In the biginning I attributed the problem to inexperienced operators, but as time passed and I ran the machine myself, it became apparent that there was a problem. I have been able to finely tune the machine and have the lock in the same position +/- 1/16 inch. Not close enough for a watchband, but ok for belts. There is still a stiff spot as if something is binding, and possibly causing the variations. Jerry at Artisan is working with me to resolve the problem.

Keith

Adler 367 is my favorite for chaps. but I must also agree that I really like my Artisan also and have experienced the exceptional customer service they provide

I use a Juki 1541-S with a servo motor. It's as fine a machine as you are likely to find. It will stand toe to toe with the Pfaff 1245 or other excellent midrange leather machines.

What people say about Artisan is true. They are great people, with great service and they sell fine equipment. I have an Artisan Toro 4000 myself and I recommend them. But don't count out Juki because I recommend them as well. They are big hitters in the sewing industry and for good reason. They make a GREAT sewing machine with full backup by a huge corporation.

Here is a brochure on it

http://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/downloa...g_e/dnu1541.pdf

Flat out... I love this machine.

BTW I bought mine from Hoffman Brothers in Rosemont, IL. They set the machine up meticulously and are there whenever I need them.

http://www.hoffmanbrothers.com/index.asp

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I use a Ferdco 1245 with the servo. Set up with Artisans gooseneck lamp and the L-shaped LED setup too. I have had it two years, and am waiting for it to skip the first stitch. It is enough like a home machine, Rundi is not afraid to sit down and run it either.

I own a Consew 256 - purchased it in 1984 - does everything from chaps to jacket zippers, and have sewn tons of strap goods on it, belts, headstalls, etc. I guess the only thing I don't like about it is that this model doesn't have a reverse. I purchased a Campbell awhile back and that machine now does strap, chap tops, belts, headstalls, etc...I like the stitch it makes much better. I think this Consew will be here forever - it will always have a niche!