Snap

Not leather but sorta related...an adjustable snap.

Hey Ryan, I got the snaps that you sent me yesterday. While I certainly haven't had time to use them on anything yet, I can already tell you that they are a good design. They may be a little heavy for somewhat smaller items I see a lot of use for them on everything from clutch purses on up to bags etc. I guess that a persons imagination would be the worst limitation to how to use the new snaps that you've come up with. It's really a good innovation to closures for leather things. I think that they will probably be finding places on other type things that we may not have even thought about yet. I want to thank you for sending them to me and I'll certainly be interested in getting some more later on. As soon as I decide what I'm going to use one on I'll post a picture so that you can see how it was used. One other thing, I was surprised at how tight the snaps lock in. At first I had a concern that they might not want to hold, because of their weight, but can already see that doesn't seem like it is going to be a problem. Again thanks and let me know when you start getting them out to sell. With regards Billy P

Those look awsome. Any chance of there being a version that lets the end-user put their own tooled leather blanks into the face?

These are a *great* idea! They look very nice.

Funny ... I've been kicking around half a dozen belt buckle designs for the last ten years, although none of them look like what you have. I intended on metal casting/experimenting with the designs when I get my studio set up in the next house (sometime in the next year).

You've really motivated me! Your flexible snap is a really good idea!

I've concluded that the "standard" belt buckles are really pretty optimal, and the attachment mechanisms I've been working on are really more of a "novelty" or interesting thing from a creative or fashion standpoint (e.g., different attachment mechanisms allow for different kinds of belts, including belts that don't have to be sized to a specific person).

I never thought about patenting, though. Should I think about that?

--charley

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for sending the free samples. Indeed the preproduction ones are a bit heavy, and I look forward to the lighter version. I do have concern about the male end. It seems to fasten to the leather by just two thin metal prongs bent over. I would like to see a more secure method of securing it, as it seems too easy for those prongs to fail.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for sending the free samples. Indeed the preproduction ones are a bit heavy, and I look forward to the lighter version. I do have concern about the male end. It seems to fasten to the leather by just two thin metal prongs bent over. I would like to see a more secure method of securing it, as it seems too easy for those prongs to fail.

Hi Tom!

The production versions are approx 1/3 lighter- it makes a big difference.

As for the prongs- our research indicated a strong preference to prongs over screw type mounting. We have yet to have a failure of the prongs due to breakage and have literally hundreds of thousands of cycles on our test pieces.

That being said, we are always looking for ways to improve and would like to hear your suggestions for an improved/preferred mounting method. :)

Ryan

Hi Tom!

The production versions are approx 1/3 lighter- it makes a big difference.

As for the prongs- our research indicated a strong preference to prongs over screw type mounting. We have yet to have a failure of the prongs due to breakage and have literally hundreds of thousands of cycles on our test pieces.

That being said, we are always looking for ways to improve and would like to hear your suggestions for an improved/preferred mounting method. :)

Ryan

I got my samples yesterday. Thanks!

These are a *great* idea. It's a very good fastening mechanism -- you get lots of lateral strength, but they are FAST and EASY to open/close.

I *really* like that you can operate the buckle with one hand. I'm trying to think of new uses for buckles where I wouldn't previously have put them (e.g., not just belts). For example, I'm thinking about using them for straps on wall-hangings, to secure lids/doors on cases and boxes, or even for use on a wall-mounted calendar (e.g., a buckle position for each "day" of the month). (These may not be practical or cost-effective for that, but this is a neat mechanism, and it seems like you could do a lot with it.)

I'll need to experiment with them to better understand if a "tail" or extended length on the belt past the buckle would be handy -- it would give you something to grab to open/close the buckle. I've also been thinking about wrapping the whole buckle in leather with a "pull-loop" on the front of the buckle (e.g., so you could stick your thumb in the loop to open/close the buckle).

I'll also have to think about the folding tabs for the buckle mount, versus riveting or screwing the tab in place. I tend to over-build because I worry about failure (all my stuff is custom and expensive), but I'll just have to get some experience with the tabs (I understand they are probably sufficient, I just have to get comfortable with the idea ;-))

It may be nice to have an option for longer tabs, in case you mount through really heavy leather (but these are probably sufficient -- I'm just thinking out-loud).

Will other sizes be available? (e.g., how big or how little can they go?)

Do you have thoughts about cleaning them (for example, if they are used in a grimy environment and accumulate crud in the mechanism)?

For everybody who have not yet looked at these adjustable snaps... they are really cool! It's a really great idea, and I'll definitely be buying them when they are available. (I should have no trouble using a dozen at a time! ;-))

Please add me to the list of folks impressed by the snaps.

I want some when you are ready to sell.

How many designs will there be for the covers?

Victorian scroll maybe????

Matt

Hi everyone!

Sorry to revive an old thread but... I am curious to see if anyone that I sent samples to has had a chance to use them and if so, what did you think?

I love feedback! Good or bad, if you got, give it! :)

On another note, we have received our latest batch of samples from our new manufacturer and I was blown away by how great they looked, performed, and how noticeable the weight reduction was.

We approved a production run of 15,000 sets. RollerSnaps in polished nickel, matte nickel, and polished brass will be available first quarter 2009. Probably sooner but we're saying first quarter 2009 for some wiggle room.

Looking forward to any and all feedback from those who have had a chance to put those samples to use!

Best,

Snap

Edited by Snap

I look forward to buying some and trying them out! Wishing you great luck with them.

Art

Snap...

I would like to get some samples to test out. I tried to send you a PM but the system keeps dropping my cookie data or somehow generating authorization mismathces and the messages fail. So here is my info.

Please send to:

Brianne Corbett

Bree's Patch & Leather Repair

71 Lebrun Rd

Buffalo, NY 14215

breeliz at verizon dot net

Thanks!

Bree

Edited by Denise
modified email to avoid spammers

The snaps look pretty cool. I will be interested when the snaps become available.

Allen

Edited by scissormedic

Snap...

I would like to get some samples to test out. I tried to send you a PM but the system keeps dropping my cookie data or somehow generating authorization mismathces and the messages fail. So here is my info.

Please send to:

Brianne Corbett

Bree's Patch & Leather Repair

71 Lebrun Rd

Buffalo, NY 14215

Thanks!

Bree

Hi Bree!

Sent some samples out to you Tuesday. Please remember that the samples I have on hand to send out are "pre-production" and while they work perfectly, they are not perfect from an aesthetic standpoint. Functionally, they are great, and should provide an opportunity for you to see if they are suitable for the work you do.

Production units recently approved look incredible and are a full 1/3 lighter in weight while maintaining the same great performance and ease of use.

Thanks for your interest!

Snap

The snaps look pretty cool. I will be interested when the snaps become available.

Allen

Hi Allen!

Production units should be available towards the end of this year or at the latest first thing next year. My fingers are crossed for November but that will be pushing it.

In the meantime I am more than happy to send you some pre-production samples. Functionally perfect but a bit heavier and not as polished (literally and figuratively) aesthetic standpoint. If you're interested in samples drop me a PM with your mailing address.

Best,

Ryan

AKA:Snap

I think you just made yourself a millionare. That's the coolest invention I've seen in a long time. Better get your customer list ready cause I want on it too.

Let me know if you are looking for investors.

I agree with the others it would be cool to inset a peice of leather tooled with a logo, Or you could do custom orders and engrave logos in the metal.

How many sizes are you going to have them in? Are you going to have different materials?

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

David

Thanks for the offer Ryan,

I am so new at this leather thing that I can honestly say that sending some to me will just confuse me even more!

I have a hard time sorting through the easy stuff!

Thanks again

Allen

I think you just made yourself a millionare. That's the coolest invention I've seen in a long time. Better get your customer list ready cause I want on it too.

Let me know if you are looking for investors.

I agree with the others it would be cool to inset a peice of leather tooled with a logo, Or you could do custom orders and engrave logos in the metal.

How many sizes are you going to have them in? Are you going to have different materials?

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

David

Thanks, David.

We think that top cavity for customization is pretty much limitless as far as what you can do with it- we can provide metal plates such as brass, stainless, aluminum, engraved by a number of methods. Wood, leather, stone- all would work as well. We went this customizable route to maximize our tooling since it allows for large production volume while allowing an incredible variety of individual customization.

We have several different sizes, materials and mounting methods in the developement pipeline. We're focused at the moment on getting out of the gate with our first product but once we do so you can expect more to follow soon thereafter.

Best,

Ryan

Thanks for the offer Ryan,

I am so new at this leather thing that I can honestly say that sending some to me will just confuse me even more!

I have a hard time sorting through the easy stuff!

Thanks again

Allen

Allen, I know exactly how you feel! I am still trying to find time to fit a servo motor to our sewing machine so I have some chance of controling it, rather than screaming in terror. This sight is a huge resource and the knowledge and craftsmanship of the people on here is just incredible. Enjoy, and if you ever get to the point you want some samples just drop a line.

Have a great weekend,

Ryan

Hi Bree!

Sent some samples out to you Tuesday. Please remember that the samples I have on hand to send out are "pre-production" and while they work perfectly, they are not perfect from an aesthetic standpoint. Functionally, they are great, and should provide an opportunity for you to see if they are suitable for the work you do.

Production units recently approved look incredible and are a full 1/3 lighter in weight while maintaining the same great performance and ease of use.

Thanks for your interest!

Snap

I got the samples Snap. They are slicker than spit!! I am gonna fool around with them and see if I can conjure up a project to use them on! Then get some more!

Thanks!

:Lighten::Lighten::Lighten:

:sign23: Just a bump here to let everyone know that the Rollersnaps are available at special pricing in the "Marketplace" section. For those of us that got to use some of the samples last summer, the couple I used have worked out well for me. The link to Marketplace is here - Rollersnaps . Check them out.

I got mine in the mail today and I'm real happy with them. I can't wait to put them to use.

Art