RawhideLeather

Leather Lifts Up With Needle - Need Help - At Wits End!

Wiz I made a call and need a little more clarification from you, is the diamond point or the triangle point that you used to cure the problem?  Thanks for the help!!

3 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

Wiz I made a call and need a little more clarification from you, is the diamond point or the triangle point that you used to cure the problem?  Thanks for the help!!

The package I got from Bob says "Dia" - which means diamond. The actual geometry is triangular. It has three sides that converge to a sharp point.

Part of the squeak and needle sticking problem is Wickett and Craig's leather.  I use both Wickett & Craig and Hermann Oak in the shop, and time and time again, I've had this happen with the W & C when I haven't changed a thing on the machine.

I keep a small piece of bee's wax on the machine and rub it on the needle shaft when things start lifting (usually glue not completely cured) This helps and also seems to polish the needle so it slides out easier.  

Big Sioux I am glad that I am not the only one that has had that happen, have you found any cure for it?  Every now and then I will sew some H O but not that often, I have been buying more of W & C leather, well I can rest easy now knowing it happens to someone else! 

Sony daze I run the thread through a oil pot now as it is, I would think that it would help maybe not cure the problem but at least help!

Edited by OLDNSLOW

On 6/12/2018 at 6:20 PM, OLDNSLOW said:

Big Sioux I am glad that I am not the only one that has had that happen, have you found any cure for it?  Every now and then I will sew some H O but not that often, I have been buying more of W & C leather, well I can rest easy now knowing it happens to someone else! 

Sony daze I run the thread through a oil pot now as it is, I would think that it would help maybe not cure the problem but at least help!

O & S, I have not really found a cure for the issue.  Leather that is the slightest bit cased up is even worse.  Some was so bad I didn't think I would get it stitched.  Lighter weights aren't so much an issue. . . they still squeak, but it doesn't interfere with the ability to get them sewn. . . but when I have maybe 3 layers of heavy skirting or their standard harness leather stacked, it can be a SOB.  Then I will keep a block of beeswax or even a can of dry silicone spray handy and apply to the needle every few inches.  Makes for slow going.  It's something that Wickett does to their leather, because I've noticed a lot more drag with a swivel knife when carving W & C vs HO. 

Somewhere through the years, Wickett must have made some changes to their leather.  Back in the mid '90's, their harness leather had a lot more wax, but still had a nice, supple hand.  Now their standard harness is very dry. . . beautiful finish, but very dry.  They have what they call a "show harness" selection, which I would never use for show harness, as it does have a lot of wax and oil, but is quite hard with a less than attractive finish for show harness.

Ya I have had some holsters 2 layers 9oz that I thought I wasn't going to get done, and thinking something was wrong with my machine, needle, or thread, so I am truly glad to hear that I am not the only one that has this problem, but we must be the only 2 that have had this bad experience.  I might just have to go back to HO or find some other brand! .  Thanks for the input it really helps to narrow down the problem!

2 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

Ya I have had some holsters 2 layers 9oz that I thought I wasn't going to get done, and thinking something was wrong with my machine, needle, or thread, so I am truly glad to hear that I am not the only one that has this problem, but we must be the only 2 that have had this bad experience.  I might just have to go back to HO or find some other brand! .  Thanks for the input it really helps to narrow down the problem!

Has anyone ever called the folks at W&C to ask about this issue?  Maybe they can provide some insight?

Gary

I haven't being I just found out about it

I haven't used W&C bridle/harness leather is a long long time. I buy all my bridle leather from Thoroughbred Leather, in KY. I have never had a needle stick in their leather. Some of their backs are almost a quarter inch thick and they still sew easily with a #25 needle and #277 thread.

4 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

but we must be the only 2 that have had this bad experience. 

If you look back to the very first post in this thread, the OP was using W & C also.

On 6/13/2018 at 5:21 PM, Wizcrafts said:

I haven't used W&C bridle/harness leather is a long long time. I buy all my bridle leather from Thoroughbred Leather, in KY. I have never had a needle stick in their leather. Some of their backs are almost a quarter inch thick and they still sew easily with a #25 needle and #277 thread.

Wiz - I looked at the Thoroughbred website but they do not list any pricing.  Is their pricing comparable to W&C and the other popular leather suppliers?  I see they have a location in Augusta, Ga - not too far from me.

Gary

I thought that there was only one in Louisville KY

35 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

I thought that there was only one in Louisville KY

Looks like they have quite a few locations, but Louisville is the headquarters.

https://www.tasmanusa.com/tasman-leather-group

2 hours ago, garypl said:

Wiz - I looked at the Thoroughbred website but they do not list any pricing.  Is their pricing comparable to W&C and the other popular leather suppliers?  I see they have a location in Augusta, Ga - not too far from me.

Gary

I don't know anything about other locations for Thoroughbred than Kentucky. But they are part of a group of companies belong to Tasman, one of the largest hide brokers anywhere. Thoroughbred is an old school, wholesale leather tannery business (not for hobbyists). You call on the telephone and talk to one of the people running the business. If they don't answer, leave a message with your name and phone number. You get the details on the phone, prices on the phone and place your order on the phone. Once you are on- file in their system, all you do is call and order what you want. Not all weights are in stock at all times. You may have to wait for them to receive the tanned and finished leather of that color and thickness.

Ask for long backs if you make belts, as there is less waste and no belly to throw out. Some backs I get exceed 105 inches with one reaching an incredible 110 inches from the butt to neck!

PM me for the phone number.

If you are a wholesale customer with Weaver, you can buy Thoroughbred bridle leather from them. It is slightly more expensive, but usually in stock.

Thanks Wiz!