carr52

surgical gloves and hand stitching

Some one posted that tip on here but I dont remember who. Well, long story short I just wanted to say thank you. It worked out quite well.

Tom

Tom,

It was me and it is great, right? Best supply for the gloves is the auto parts store, for the Nitrile gloves, the blue ones, they last a long time. If they get too hot just cut the fingers off and use them instead of the whole glove. I take em off and blow them back right side out and use them till they fall apart.

Tank

Tom,

It was me and it is great, right? Best supply for the gloves is the auto parts store, for the Nitrile gloves, the blue ones, they last a long time. If they get too hot just cut the fingers off and use them instead of the whole glove. I take em off and blow them back right side out and use them till they fall apart.

Tank

Thanks Tanks

I guess I'm a poet too.

Ok, i'm missing something. What do the gloves do if you cut the fingers off???

Is the purpose to keep your skin oils off the leather or what??????

I do lotsa hand stitching and would love to know!

William

William

They help you grip the needle better. It works pretty good for anyways.

Tom

I use the Nitrile gloves when I dye the leather (well sometimes). I get mine when they're on sale at Harbor Freight.

Art

better grip huh....gonna have to try that.

I use them for when i'm dyeing the leather too... If I aint too lazy to put them on. Needless to say, I walk around with half dyed fingers quite often.....

William

William

But how do they help grip the needle if you have cut the fingers off??

Tony.

But how do they help grip the needle if you have cut the fingers off??

Tony.

I'd put on the finger parts on my fingers, that way you get the benefit of a good grip but keep the tight sweaty glove off your palm.

Tom

I think they mean that you cut all the fingers off except for the ones that you need.Art

better grip huh....gonna have to try that.I use them for when i'm dyeing the leather too... If I aint too lazy to put them on. Needless to say, I walk around with half dyed fingers quite often.....William
LOL That's me too William. Afterward I think, mmm I should have put the gloves on. They also sell knit gloves with the finders and palm covered in nitrile.Art

I was at work the other day and was in the supply area and they had some of the finger covers used for counting paper, etc. I thought they might work well so I grabbed 2 of them and tried then one on my thumb and the other on my index finger and they worked great, next time I am at Costco or office depot I am going to buy a box of them.

Your hands do not get hot and they grab the needle really really well. I actually like them better than the surgical gloves.

Give them a try and let me know what you think!!

Brad

I don't do any more hand stitching than I absolutely have too because of the arthritis in both hands, . . . but when I do, . . . I use a lap pony (sit on it between your knees, under your thighs), . . . and a pair of small electricians needle nosed pliers.

A friend at work busted the tip off of them a few years back, . . . my boss said I could have them, . . . so I ground off the tips even, . . . just had em laying around till one day I needed em. They work wonders.

But I do use the gloves for dyeing and finishing. The only thing I don't like about Resolene is getting the stuff on my hands.

May God bless,

Dwight

was at work the other day and was in the supply area and they had some of the finger covers used for counting paper, etc. I thought they might work well so I grabbed 2 of them and tried then one on my thumb and the other on my index finger and they worked great

Brad - been using them for some years, only difference is I use just one one my index finger and that gives me plenty of grip - tried on both and found it didn't make a lot of difference - any harder to pull than that and I use pliers. Great thing is they seem to last a long time especially if you spin them around and use a different are to pull with.....

You can go and look at

http://www.fingergloves.com/

for stuff made for the purpose - they work very well!

Thanks. I just ordered some.

Art

They look cool as hell, nice find, and a great tip otherwise.

Thanks for sharing.