Iron Pounder

Business Name

I have been making stuff here and there for friends and friends of friends but ready to start marketing a bit. I have been asked what my biz name is and I really don't have one. We up to this point have ran everything through a small printing/custom sign biz we have. It is hard to find a name that someone doesn't already have.

One thing we notice is artists are given a pass by local gov it seems. The difference is _____ studios and Ryan's Leather Co seems to mean everything for some reason. It's like once you are called something that sounds commercial you are no longer considered an artist? Any thoughts on a good name?

I have been told by some that I may be a bit hard headed, I don't know where they get that,lol. Due to a few missteps along lifes path my body is full of titanium and a few names kicked around have played off that, but you would have to know me to get that I think. The one name that sticks in most circles seems to be Maverick Leather Maverick Customs Maverick Customs Leather... My son and I do tend to work in a few mediums (pinstripe, airbrush, wood, metal, glass) so not sure I want to narrow the name down so much. I don't know if being so narrow is good or bad. I think a name easy to remember is of course important.

When u have that much Metal in you and u are still alive you must be a Lucky boy. So whats about Lucky Boys leather, Lucky Boys Art, Lucky leather Lurk.

.Ideas with maverick: Mavericks leather n Art, Mavs marboulus leather. Something that considers your region is good too. Have a cool Spot or something with a cool Name next to you? Take it for a Name. For Example dead crows cross leather or koyote Hill leather or whatever.

Maybe this Helps a Little. Greetings Jonathan

P.s. Im thimkimg about nordlicht Leder which Means northern Light leather in German because i grew up innorthern Germany.

Edited by Jazznow

I would think twice about"Maverick Leather" since there is a company selling leather with that name.

I have worked in wood all my life, then I decided to do stained glass, sand carved glass, Sublimation, along with leather work for most of my life. Complicates things like company names.

Our most well known company is Apple Valley Woodcrafts, thirty plus years, that doesn't fit the others very well.

How about "Ron's Artistry Studios". When you do business cards and the like, you can have sub-titles of what you do.

Might give you some food for thought.

ferg

I have been making stuff here and there for friends and friends of friends but ready to start marketing a bit. I have been asked what my biz name is and I really don't have one. We up to this point have ran everything through a small printing/custom sign biz we have. It is hard to find a name that someone doesn't already have.

One thing we notice is artists are given a pass by local gov it seems. The difference is _____ studios and Ryan's Leather Co seems to mean everything for some reason. It's like once you are called something that sounds commercial you are no longer considered an artist? Any thoughts on a good name?

I have been told by some that I may be a bit hard headed, I don't know where they get that,lol. Due to a few missteps along lifes path my body is full of titanium and a few names kicked around have played off that, but you would have to know me to get that I think. The one name that sticks in most circles seems to be Maverick Leather Maverick Customs Maverick Customs Leather... My son and I do tend to work in a few mediums (pinstripe, airbrush, wood, metal, glass) so not sure I want to narrow the name down so much. I don't know if being so narrow is good or bad. I think a name easy to remember is of course important.

Jonathan, we do have Lucky Leather do to same reasons down on the list,ha. I do consider myself lucky to still be going for sure. I'm said that I still live on the edge way more than the wife would like.

Ferg, see how hard it is to find a name that nobody is using. They aren't registered to do business in my state so it wouldn't be the end of the world as they use the name Maverick Leather Company and we could use Maverick custom leather or something like that. I'm not sure a lot of original names are left. Maybe that is why companies started making up words.

Thanks guys for your input, anyone else have an idea?

I really like Lucky Boys Art ! Art covers everything you're doing including the leather...My husbands business is 'Anything Goes' wwwanythinggoes74.com which covers everything he does. My business name is Buttskinz for motorcycle seats. I think Lucky Boys Art is pretty clever Jazznow.

There is a leather supplier that goes by Maverick Leather Company, so I think that might cause you issues if you go with oneof the Maverick names. Just saying.

Ryan and Son Custom Designs. Might work ok. It leave it open for your other media. Two Dude's Customs... anything like that.

With so many names out there it is near impossible to have a name that you and you alone use. Makes a case to just use your name.

From the old grump; Years ago my wife and I started a small Doberman Kennel. Had an awful time coming up with a name. One day while she and I were at a gas station with my male dobbie-dawg in the car, an older gentleman looked at the dog through the car's window. He looked at me and asked if the dog was a Black and Tan hound (My dog was uncropped, so it had ears like a hound) Before I could answer, the old guy had put his hand on the side of the car and leaned over to get a better look. The dog went nuts and scared the living daylights out of the old guy.(the big boy was protective of my wife) the old guy jumped back, looked at me and yelled "what the hell is that red assed dog! My wife and I, within a week named the outfit ROORAD KENNEL ( Royal Order of the Red Assed Dog) and registered it with the AKC. We never explained what ROORAD stood for. Acronyms are fair game in naming all kinds of things. Just something to think about. Mike

Edited by katsass

Katsass, that's a good story! Sometimes we have to be creative don't we!

From the old grump; Years ago my wife and I started a small Doberman Kennel. Had an awful time coming up with a name. One day while she and I were at a gas station with my male dobbie-dawg in the car, an older gentleman looked at the dog through the car's window. He looked at me and asked if the dog was a Black and Tan hound (My dog was uncropped, so it had ears like a hound) Before I could answer, the old guy had put his hand on the side of the car and leaned over to get a better look. The dog went nuts and scared the living daylights out of the old guy.(the big boy was protective of my wife) the old guy jumped back, looked at me and yelled "what the hell is that red assed dog! My wife and I, within a week named the outfit ROORAD KENNEL ( Royal Order of the Red Assed Dog) and registered it with the AKC. We never explained what ROORAD stood for. Acronyms are fair game in naming all kinds of things. Just something to think about. Mike

LOL Mike... I am sensing a theme and it seems to be ass heavy. LOL

LOL Mike... I am sensing a theme and it seems to be ass heavy. LOL

Well, when something works, I figure you should stay with it! Mike

Ha ya that works. What makes a name hard for me is the different types of folks that I have sold to and will sell to. Hard to think of a brand that say the bike community and folks like my parents would also want. Walmart has a blue shirt for 5.00 the same shirt with a brand name on it is 20.00. So the brand name is everything, that product (shirt) had nothing to do with the price.

Mine was based on wanting something that sounded western but would still work with a larger group, Drygulch Leatherworks. I do know there is a Drygulch Bead Company, and a Drygulch Trading Post. Both are mulitple states away from me, and I didn't see much over lap. As long as its not offensive, you don't really have to explain your company name. Had another bussiness dealing with aquarium fish called Drygulch Aquatics, and prior to that was a partner in Sonoran Aquatics. I would find some thing that you identify with, and find some variations on the word. You can call it Iron Leatherworks, Iron Arts, or use different descriptions.

From the grump again; Something along this line came up back in October. Here's my response from back then, maybe it'll get the creative juices flowing a bit. Mike

Names are not too hard to come up with, just think about your surroundings or maybe and incident or two. Ever had your car crunched? ..... Busted Ford Leather; got a single tree in your yard ....Lone tree Leather; ever 'over did' your steaks on the BBQ? .... Burnt Steak Leather; have a dog that loves to jump on you when you come home? .... Jumping Dawg Leather ......... live in a valley, Deep Valley Leather; Live in an area with a lot of trees .... Tall trees Leather, Many Trees Leather, Big trees, Skinny trees, Maple Trees, Pine Tree, Oak Tree, Dead Tree, Hanging Tree, etc. Live out on the flats .... Flatland Leather; Live in the city ... Big Towne Leather, Old Town Leather, Hometown Leather, are you left handed .... Southpaw leather, Lefty's Leather, Wrong Hand Leather; a nickname? Shorty's, Flash's, (I worked with a VERY rotund gentleman once, we called him 'Tinkerbell' , although that might not be too good). My son was called 'the kid from the shop' for years until he became a 6'4" 230# adult, but The Kid's Leather isn't too bad. This can go on and on. Just think around and out of the box, you'll be able to come up with something ... then on to a logo from there. Mike

P.S. You could substitute 'Enterprises', 'Arts', 'Project', Artistry', 'Craft', etc instead of 'leather'.

P.P.S. I have lived in the desert southwest for around 60 years --- lot's of ideas around that, so naturally I came up with 'Katsass' , but that's a different story.

Edited by katsass

It might pay to choose a name based on available web domains. You may want to choose one that will come up in a Google search for your products or services.

Ray

My business name is LadyKahu Designs. Kahu is maori for hawk, and where I grew up in New Zealand I loved watching them soar around the hills as a kid. LadyHawk is a favourite movie of mine. I went with 'designs' as it was generic and started using it when I made leadlight windows back in NZ, then again when I started making and selling garden statues here in aus.. and it works for leather as well :-)

Natalie

Ya good ideas for a business name. I guess I'm looking for more of a brand new to market. Thank you to all that replied. We have so many names being kicked around that it's time to narrow them down some. I will post up the top ten when we get it dow to that.

Ha ya that works. What makes a name hard for me is the different types of folks that I have sold to and will sell to. Hard to think of a brand that say the bike community and folks like my parents would also want. Walmart has a blue shirt for 5.00 the same shirt with a brand name on it is 20.00. So the brand name is everything, that product (shirt) had nothing to do with the price.

"Iron Horse Leather and Accessories"

Ha ha ha... I used an online Band Name generator and plugged in "leather biker" got these.

• Leather Biker Stroke And The Apostle
  • Leather Biker Shoe
  • Leather Biker Adrenaline
  • Fallen Leather Biker
  • Leather Biker Posse
  • Leather Biker Innocent And The Cannon
  • Lower Leather Biker
  • Leather Biker Of The Revolving
  • Gaseous Leather Biker Of The Troubled Hobo
  • Leather Biker Fix

http://www.bandnamemaker.com/

Kind of fun.

i like to keep things simple but still get my name out there and it's easy to remember.

DRAKE'S CREATION'S

my interests tend to vary a lot and i never know what i will decide to make tomorrow.

this covers everything and does not lock you into any specific category.

ron

Well, my business name was pretty easy to come up with. But, I used to own a screen printing business. We called it Funkymuzz Graphics.

When we were doing market research for our business, we talked to a lot of printers and went to a lot of different shops. We found out that we liked one called 'Purple Girrafe'. Not really because of the work they did, but mainly because we remembered the name. It was different than all the others.

My son was about a year old at the time and he used to have a stuffed monkey. It was his favorite "fuzzy monkey". With a little brainstorming and some wordplay we came up with 'Funkymuzz'.

It also worked well with our advertisement, as we could play on the weird name. People were always messing it up, which was perfect for us because they were trying to figure out "what the hell is this Funkymuzz place?" We had some funny radio spots where the anouncer was trying to get it right and had to repeat it. I think the word funkymuzz was said about 27 times in a 60 second spot.

We also used the word graphics, instead of screen printing so that we could expand into other graphics related mediums.

Take this for what it's worth.

KK

Katsass, I know what ya mean. My son's nickname is Tiny and he is a big big boy.

Ray, The web domains are a big deal trying to nail down a name. The web is what makes it so tough. we have thought of tons of names we really like to find someone else liked them first,ha.

Natalie, We like designs as well. I have thought some might think we do logos or something though. I kind of wanted the business name to be a brand name, say what we do, be original, have a .com available, be easy to remember, and be acceptable to a diverse base of customers. Now that isn't asking too much is it?:thumbsup:

Sylvia, The name generator is fun. Iron Horse Leather is already taken but I did like it.

Ron, We like creations as well. Like you say it keeps things open abit. I just finished up an oil tank for a guy tonight for example.

Ryan

ryan,

a couple of things to think about,

the longer the name, the more it will cost for a makers stamp as you may want to have a logo on your items in the future.

writing a long name on letters, tax forms ,etc. will become very tiring in time

i make some very small leather items and a 1-1/2" logo stamp would be as large as the item itself. when i throw away leather scraps they really are scraps.

if you make the name too long , how do your buyers write it on a check or money order.

ron

Kevin, Cool way to market the screen printing you did. I like the simplicity of just using my name as well. At least the dang .com is open... I don't know if you work with other mediums, if so do you think having leather in the name limits you? Instead of leather maybe designs?

Ron, the short name thing is true. We have kind of been kicking around a few that I need to kick to the curb for being too long.

I have been so tied up with trying to find a place to relocate to that I haven't put the effort in a should and just be done with it. Trying to please my wife and three kids with a new location is proving almost impossible.

Iron Anvil Leather crafts