chancey77

51 Ford Door Panel Mock Up

OK Jinx Proof Cat tooled today.....working on the letters next:)

post-28433-009000500 1330704983_thumb.jp

post-28433-015464800 1330704986_thumb.jp

Ok, somebody clue me in. What's a jinx cat?

Jinx the Cat is or at least was a cartoon.

Well....Jinx was a cartoon cat (no likeness), but this is an original Mike Malone aka Rollo Banks painting that I am using. Mike Malone was actually THE GUY who invented Flash Sheets for tattoo Parlors, before him, this part of the tattoo art form was non existent!!!!!

He is one of the top of the top amazing artists and painters in this field. He Committed Suicide in 2007 and was a 6 foot 300 pound monster teddy bear, but battled long time illness and just could not take it anymore...I got a tattoo from him in 2000 in NYC and I have to say hey was amazingly fast and had a very light hand..(those of you that have been tattooed by different artists know what I mean by that):)

Any'who.....:) He was Sailor Jerry's protege starting in 1971 in Hawaii and bought his business when Jerry died in 1973. When you are looking at Sailor Jerry Flash you are looking at what Mike Malone did to Jerry's artwork....

He is an amazing inspiration to anyone who has ever been even interested in tattooing and was THE GUY who invented most of the equipment and flash sheets still used everywhere world wide today.

He is also the guy who created tattoo colors being used in roses and ships back in the 1970's before that it was black ink or green ink. So if you have a tattoo and it has color you can thank Mike Malone for that!

The least I can do is try my best to pay homage and as much respect to him and his work as possible.....

Any way, back to JINX-

Jinx is like when 2 people say exactly the same thing at the same time you say-JINX and that person cannot talk until someone calls their name for some reason...it is bad luck and and sort of the same as a HEX...so this is the JINX PROOF CAT! Believed by the person who wears it to ward off such evil actions:)

post-28433-036470900 1330717607_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

Warning Picture is a little risqué...but it is a VARGAS PIN-UP...so classy and arty too:)

My favorite part is the........(uhm...............) Feather ya that's it ;) uh-hu...

post-28433-039744600 1330718348_thumb.jp

I got a tattoo from him in 2000 in NYC and I have to say hey was amazingly fast and had a very light hand..(those of you that have been tattooed by different artists know what I mean by that):)

Man, I definitely grew up in the wrong area. I was out studying all that stuff on my own after a failed apprenticeship with an idiot (found out he was using - in the shop at that). Now you keep on coming up with cool stories of meeting all the people I've only read about.

So, did you stick with the 5 oz leather? I'm assuming you did since I haven't seen you start over yet. Trying to get a feel for the actual depth on that side shot.

Man, I definitely grew up in the wrong area. I was out studying all that stuff on my own after a failed apprenticeship with an idiot (found out he was using - in the shop at that). Now you keep on coming up with cool stories of meeting all the people I've only read about.

So, did you stick with the 5 oz leather? I'm assuming you did since I haven't seen you start over yet. Trying to get a feel for the actual depth on that side shot.

All I can really say is I have been blessed with good timing...I only discuss who is actually pertinent to the topic and my influence...in actuality if I made a list you might kill yourself...and that would suck!:)

As far as the depth...about half as deep as the leather is and for the raised ears and mouth I just cut in sideways with my swivel knife as deep as the wedge on the blade is...kind of like a pedal lifter, but I just used what was close and what I thought would give a better effect.

Edited by chancey77

More updates.....and really getting the feeling it is all going to be ok:) hahahaha

I am adding a small cigaret pack/zippo holder for the top right corner and a round leather drink holder /catch all on the lower right corner...incase you where looking at the hole in the upper right...I know:) lololol I gots plans!

post-28433-067895500 1330719706_thumb.jp

post-28433-042130100 1330719711_thumb.jp

post-28433-060135500 1330719714_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

More updates.....and really getting the feeling it is all going to be ok:) hahahaha

I am adding a small cigaret pack/zippo holder for the top right corner and a round leather drink holder /catch all on the lower right corner...incase you where looking at the hole in the upper right...I know:) lololol I gots plans!

Excellent plans!! And I was going to ask how big that area is next to your finger (before seeing the finger shot). Makes my rabid butterflies seem like childsplay :bike:

BTW - I have to admit that the actual feathers are my favorite part of that portion - as long as we're just looking at the craftsmanship :yeah:

Edited by Cyberthrasher

Excellent plans!! And I was going to ask how big that area is next to your finger (before seeing the finger shot). Makes my rabid butterflies seem like childsplay :bike:

BTW - I have to admit that the actual feathers are my favorite part of that portion - as long as we're just looking at the craftsmanship :yeah:

Ya the actual portion of the feather portion...:) MIne to:) I took the finger shot so you could see how small that was....hahahaha Still have to do the rest of the tooling to it, but as you know...

So far I have 17hrs into this panel. I have a meticulous log book on tooling time. So lots to go...deep sigh....and an evil laugh. aka AAEL!evillaugh.gif

That's come along way in only 17 hours, nice onespecool.gif

Chancey's a MACHINE!! No sleep, no food. Just fill him up with the best high octane around and watch the work fly. :guitar:

Chancey's a MACHINE!! No sleep, no food. Just fill him up with the best high octane around and watch the work fly. :guitar:

Speaking of machines we took the kids to the steam train museum today! I took 100's of pictures of all the awesome mechanical parts! The museum had some simply amazing Trains and cars! Here is a few...I have been wanting to do a train carving but I didn't have any real good detailed pictures until now...If anyone wants some reference photos let me know!

post-28433-053152400 1330801768_thumb.jp

post-28433-080765100 1330801774_thumb.jp

post-28433-047647300 1330801780_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

Speaking of machines we took the kids to the steam train museum today! I took 100's of pictures of all the awesome mechanical parts! The museum had some simply amazing Trains and cars! Here is a few...I have been wanting to do a train carving but I didn't have any real good detailed pictures until now...If anyone wants some reference photos let me know!

Sounds like some cool inspiration for some steam punk stuff. One problem though - NO PICTURES!!! :rofl:

(as if I've never done that before)

Sounds like some cool inspiration for some steam punk stuff. One problem though - NO PICTURES!!! :rofl:

(as if I've never done that before)

2 funny guys...ahhhh wises guy huh......Cause I had to edit it ....now look up there:)

I even took the day off...so far from leather and even had a 3hr. nap on the couch...FYI....

And here is coupe more pics...as well as the 3 before you posted your comments....while i was editing the post...lol hahahaha

post-28433-097317300 1330802748_thumb.jp

post-28433-080935600 1330802829_thumb.jp

Edited by chancey77

Sounds like some cool inspiration for some steam punk stuff.

There's an idea......... Chancey, have you got many pics of that 'Inspectors car'?

and/or others like it? I'm feeling ALL creative Lighten.gif

There's an idea......... Chancey, have you got many pics of that 'Inspectors car'?

and/or others like it? I'm feeling ALL creative Lighten.gif

pm me your email address

Woke up this morning really inspired to get rocking dyeing the Jinx Proof Cat.....4h 45min.....Doubled up on the colors and took my time getting it just right and colors popping...

Starting to feel like I am getting a dent into this thing....only 95% more to do...hahahaha Time spent so far 21 hrs 45 mins:)

post-28433-099735700 1330880391_thumb.jp

post-28433-098650300 1330880430_thumb.jp

post-28433-003220800 1330880445_thumb.jp

Nice closeup. Helps me see that I might not need to be so OCD on the details.

Nice closeup. Helps me see that I might not need to be so OCD on the details.

The close up was taken before I realized I forgot the black in the whisker stubbs...hahahah but done in the other pics:)

That is where the Devil Lives! In the Details you should be very ocd about them!

I hate 1 color stuff, even 2 in pushing my patience for detail, these doors are going to be the sickest door panels EVER! I just had to get rocking on some color today so I could feel like I was moving forward, I am thinking now I should also start on the 2nd panel at the same time so when this one is done I don't feel to overwhelmed on starting the other one...flip flop back and forth and concentrate and finish 1 picture 100 % at a time. That is my new plan...after I get going on the Ford Logo color and finish beveling the first one....D the loneliest letter right now.

Edited by chancey77

The close up was taken before I realized I forgot the black in the whisker stubbs...hahahah but done in the other pics:)

That is where the Devil Lives! In the Details you should be very ocd about them!

I hate 1 color stuff, even 2 in pushing my patience for detail, these doors are going to be the sickest door panels EVER! I just had to get rocking on some color today so I could feel like I was moving forward, I am thinking now I should also start on the 2nd panel at the same time so when this one is done I don't feel to overwhelmed on starting the other one...flip flop back and forth and concentrate and finish 1 picture 100 % at a time. That is my new plan...after I get going on the Ford Logo color and finish beveling the first one....D the loneliest letter right now.

There were a couple little bleed over spots that would drive me nuts normally, but it doesn't really show through when you step back and look at it as a whole. That's the kind of OCD stuff I was talking about. That's always my biggest problem - sometimes striving so hard for perfection that it sets me back.

I think that's a good idea to start the other one now, as long as you're satisfied with the overall scheme now. Right now it probably seems like a lot of overload just focusing on the one panel. Working two at the same time could be like a mental break and help you feel like you're not just doing one thing all day. Plus, that will give you time to soak up what you've done on one and make a good determination of where you're going with it. You know, let it stew for a bit and not over think it while it's fresh.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

There were a couple little bleed over spots that would drive me nuts normally, but it doesn't really show through when you step back and look at it as a whole. That's the kind of OCD stuff I was talking about. That's always my biggest problem - sometimes striving so hard for perfection that it sets me back.

I think that's a good idea to start the other one now, as long as you're satisfied with the overall scheme now. Right now it probably seems like a lot of overload just focusing on the one panel. Working two at the same time could be like a mental break and help you feel like you're not just doing one thing all day. Plus, that will give you time to soak up what you've done on one and make a good determination of where you're going with it. You know, let it stew for a bit and not over think it while it's fresh.

If you are talking about on the nose, it was actually a choice, to make it look human...It was looking to perfect, sometimes a "mistake is what sets it up for someone to go oh man that was all done by hand!"

Sometimes I make "mistakes" for a reason...:) Call it what you will, but it was a choice to kind of give the nose a little character, and when you stand back a foot like you said it all comes together...a hint of red in the pupil, and dab of fade black into green...all meticulously calculated:) 4:45 to dye it is a bit overkill in my opinion, but it needed the time...

If you are talking about on the nose, it was actually a choice, to make it look human...It was looking to perfect, sometimes a "mistake is what sets it up for someone to go oh man that was all done by hand!"

The part that I noticed was a little bit of black that bled up into the natural brow area. Honestly, only someone as anal retentive as me would ever notice it I'm sure :rofl:

My mom always taught me when i was a kid that you HAVE to put some "mistakes" in your art. One, for the reason you said (it is handmade after all and not done on a CNC or something) and two, to identify it as yours. I remember some of her bead work that had a single red bead in the middle of a sea of orange. Stuff like that is great for the craftsman. Like I said, seeing that stuff in your work just helps me remember that some of that is OK. Now, let's see if I can actually get some work done today......