GeneralCarthos

Steampunk/teslapunk Bionic Arm

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, but found that it's a great resource so far. Seen alot of awesome projects on here. I've been doing leatherwork for about 11 years but just the easy stuff (cuffs, harnesses, basic armor) but it wasn't till this past year and a half that I really started making my own patterns and tooling. It all started when I bought a leather arm pattern from armorgeek.com for 15 bux and it didn't work. The rivet wholes didn't match up no matter how many times I tried printing the

out. I emailed the guy for help saying I'm sure it was something I was doing wrong and could he tell me how the pattern fit together, 3weeks no answer. Left him a negative "score" on his store, few months later sent him an email just asking one last time if he would help me, he responded by saying why should he when I've already left a negative review. The. Called me an idiot for not being able to figure it out, then said if I emailed him again he would go after me for harassment. So I swore to myself I would fix the pattern and make it work. I used photoshop to alter/resize and redesign his pattern till I got it to work. And that opened a whole new world leatherworking for me. I guess I could be pissed at the guy but if be hadn't been a.... Inconvenience, I wouldn't have pushed myself

Here is a link to a few videos of the arm

Oh and if anyone wants, I will give you my working pattern free of charge

Thanks again guys.

Oh and if anyone is in the mood for a laugh I also do stand up comedy on the eastcoast, my videos are on my YouTube page

Insert parental advisory

Oh and sorry if I come off as arrogant in the video, it was taken just as I finished the arm and it took a year and a half from start to finish. I was drunk with accomplishment

Armorgeek sounds like the north end of a south bound horse. Armor patterns are like clothing patterns, so there's not a one size fits all. Adjustments need to be made for size and body shape. You are a big guy, so simply scaling the complete pattern up, won't necessarily work. When working with articulated joints, look at how Roman armor is constructed. There is a ton of information online, as there are Roman re-enactment groups all over the world. All you really need is the basic shape of the pieces and then mock them up on a body double (duct tape mannequin) or a similar proportioned friend. Tape cardboard together and mark where holes/buckles/straps etc. will need to go.

You did an amazing job.

That's amazing! And I would *love* a copy of that pattern, if you're still willing to share it. :)

Oh and if anyone wants, I will give you my working pattern free of charge

Yes. Please! I am sure many of us would like your pattern. Perhaps it would help if you attach a PDF to your reply?

I really like what you've done. Only suggestion is it might be cool since you have all those wires and what not to add a sound processor and some speakers to the arm to make your "robot" noises. Then just wire it up to your light controllers. he he he... still what you have created is very ingenious.

I love your arm! I also had the same problem with the Armorgeek pattern. I bought it and was surprised to find absolutely no measurements. I had assumed that there would be a ruler on it somewhere. I knew I would have to resize it a bit, but there was no frame of reference to start with. I emailed many times to ask what size to make it with no response. I finally got an answer that told me to just keep printing it and making it in different sizes until it worked. How much leather do they think I want to waste trying to get the size correct? I usually make my patterns myself, but I wanted to make the arm for a con and do it fast. Good job on your finished work.

That is just the coolest! I'm late to the thread, but damn. Nice Job.