Rodw

Fabric Sewing Machines For Leather

In 1975 my Mom went into a Singer Sewing Machine dealer with a fairly thick piece of leather. She found a machine that looked promising and told the Sales guy that if the machine could sew this piece of leather it was sold. The manager standing behind him cringed as the salesman ran the pieces of leather folded over through the machine without changing to a leather needle. But guess what? It sewed the leather without bogging down and with flying colors. That machine was almost $2000 back in 1975.

Fast forward to today. I gave my Mom a Husqvarna Viking Platinum 770 (now discontinued, as Viking is constantly coming out with limited edition models). I know that it can sew leather, as I asked the dealer at the time I bought it. They said be sure to use a leather needle, yadda yadda yadda.

My question is, does anyone have any experience sewing garment weight leather on a Viking? How did it work out? I'm not looking to make holsters or sheaths on Mom's sewing machine, but I don't see why I couldn't sew motorcycle chaps, a vest, or heck even gloves on her machine. I'll never do enough sewing to warrant a big leather sewing machine, and frankly, for most things, I'd rather do it by hand anyway, even if a machine can do it faster and more evenly. I just like to hand make stuff. But I don't fancy sewing yards of leather for a single project by hand if it's garment weight leather and it can done on Mom's machine.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've sewn 4 oz soft leather with my 2011 Brother and it's walking foot (easy feed) attachment. The problem you might see is marks from the feed dogs on the underside. Make sure you use a fairly long stitch too or you will have problems with it dropping stitches.

Personally... I wouldn't chance messing up someone else's machine unless you are willing to drop another $2k if you break it.

I have a Singer 15-91 and just sewed a guitar strap, foam, and piece of backing last night. They keep telling me here I can't use a 15-91 for leather and upholstery, and I do some almost daily. It's not an industrial machine but it'll sew anything you can shove under the foot. And I used a regular #80 needles and #30 quilting thread. I am beginning to think the #69 thread and the leather needles were a waste of money.

I admit I love them, but I don't think there's anything the old singers can't sew. Just my opinion but backed up by the fact last night I couldn't even get the foot down :-)

I don 't know how the new Husquarvna will hold up sewing thicker leather but can tell you maybe you need to look around for a machine like DoubleC has they were one of the best built home machines you'll ever own.They are like a mini 31-15 pretty much sew what ever you get under the foot.Use #69 thread with no problems.I've sold alot of them over the years.You can usually find them in thrift shops,flea markets & etc.

Bob

Thank you Bob,. I think we may be in the minority here :-) But I know what mine will do and when people tell me it can't, I still know what it will do. Cheryl

My singer 201k goes through garment leather no problems.

Of course it does, it's a Singer :-)

I have a centennial Singer 15-91I want $200.00 + ship for that's in a blond cabinet.

More pictures:

Edited by DoubleC

I don't see why it wouldn't Rod. Before I knew any better I asked for a sewing machine for Xmas my first year of leatherworking. My MIL bought me a $300 Viking/Husqavarna Emerald 316 from Joann's. I picked up a spool of 69 thread and some leather needles and happily sewed my way through garment, pigskin and cowhide up to 10oz for a year before I found out I "was doing it wrong". Granted, my Techsew 2700 puts that little viking to shame but it still has a place in my shop and is still used on occassion for fabrics and quick projects I don't feel like changing the Techsew around for (it's usually set up for 138 or 92).

I deal with a lot of people who have no experience and not enough money for the right machine so I send them away to look for an old Singer 15, Pfaff 30 or 1950's Japanese straight stitch machine to start the process off. Most of the central bobbin machines will happily run #92 all day long and the customer can learn to sew on lightweight leather while saving money for a bigger machine - best of both worlds.

The home (or homestead) Singers, 15, 31, 201, 66, 301, and a few others will work fine for lite duty up to 10oz of chrome or soft handed veg sewing with up to 45 and sometimes 69 thread. These will last long enough (with occasional sewing, not continuous use) for you to save up for an industrial machine. These machines can last a few years for part time work. The motor is usually the first thing to go as Singer and Pfaff made really tough machines, just depending on the strain you put on them. If you occasionally put heavy loads on one of these machines, keep the gears greased and other moving parts oiled more often than you would do for standard service. For machines with internal drive motors, keep them well maintained as replacing a motor will cost as much as the machine. For sewing with 92 and above thread, the industrial is clearly a better choice. You can't beat a good tight little Singer for stitch quality, that is why quilters covet them.

Art

I too have a Singer 15-91. I tried to use it to sew leather and Naugahyde, before I got a real walking foot machine. Yes, it can sew leather, even a dress belt. But, the feed system is a limiting factor as is the top needle and thread sizes. Adding a so-called walking foot attachment only accomplished a lessening of the separating of layers, but at the cost of almost half the previous clearance under the foot. That is why honest dealers sell them as "even-feed" attachments (for quilting).

If somebody wants to sew leather vests using the piecing method, a 15-91 will do the job. It gets a bit strained sewing larger pieces together.

If you only sew thin leather projects (under 3/16"), using #69 bonded nylon thread, or cotton or polycore home sewing thread, a Singer 15-91 is a viable alternative to an industrial sewing machine. I was able to find #20 needles for mine, allowing it to handle buttonhole thread, or even #92 bonded nylon.

I no longer use my 15-91, and will gladly sell it to somebody who has a use for it.

Very true Art. These are not industrial leather machines, and I get mad when I see them advertised as such. But I'm a production line of one and I sew on mine with leather maybe 15 minutes a day. You can't use these 8 hours a day everyday to sew leather or they will eventually die and it ain't easy to kill a Singer :-)

Edited by DoubleC

Total agreement on the 15-91. I have 2 of them and use my 201 more as it's easier to load the bobbin. Basically the exact same machine except for the take up of the bobbin.

I don't do a lot of leather on mine but do a lot of denim. 8 folds of it at times and might have to help it through the super thick stuff if I go slow... but it goes right through it.

If you look a lot, you'll find a walking foot leather machine for cheap... (under 100) if you really look a lot.

I also have 2 15-91's for sale and 306K....

Total agreement on the 15-91. I have 2 of them and use my 201 more as it's easier to load the bobbin. Basically the exact same machine except for the take up of the bobbin.

I don't do a lot of leather on mine but do a lot of denim. 8 folds of it at times and might have to help it through the super thick stuff if I go slow... but it goes right through it.

If you look a lot, you'll find a walking foot leather machine for cheap... (under 100) if you really look a lot.

I also have 2 15-91's for sale and 306K....

What is a 306K?