DrGull

Wallet Inserts

I can tool wallet backs for practice for months, but there's nothing to put in them. I don't have a sweing machine so the Chaylor Finielli inserts are not a possibility. Idealy, I'd like to make my own from calfskin. So, does anyone know of a book that covers the making of the insides, or a source for "Tandy-like" insides that have encough room for hand sewing or lacing.

A machine only speeds up the process....if you can machine sew it, you can hand sew it. But, there IS a bit of time involved.

Have a look at this thread and see if it helps.....clicky!

I've been looking for wallet insides patterns for sometime myself. I've had no luck. People who make them seem to consider them simple, but I can't get my head around them. Springfield Leather does sell very good pigskin insides that can be hand sewn or laced.

I still cut them from patterns I got somewhere in the 70's. Made to suit the standard wallet back. I usually cut them from 2 oz calf or goat. I'm including a photo of one of these 'installed'. This particular style is in brown goatskin with the removable photo case. Inexpensive to make. I usually just take a day every so often to cut and glue 10-20 of them so they're ready to go when needed. Send me a message if this is the style you were considering, and I'll send you the pattern.

Oh, yeah .. it fits this type of wallet ...

Edited by JLSleather

I can tool wallet backs for practice for months, but there's nothing to put in them. I don't have a sweing machine so the Chaylor Finielli inserts are not a possibility. Idealy, I'd like to make my own from calfskin. So, does anyone know of a book that covers the making of the insides, or a source for "Tandy-like" insides that have encough room for hand sewing or lacing.

The Chaylor Fenelli inners from Springfield can be laced, I lay out the lacing slits with a thonging chisel. They can be laced or sewn by hand, below are pictures of one I made with a Chaylor Fenelli inner.

Ken

post-6362-090452400 1344607744_thumb.jpg

post-6362-078152300 1344607747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chief31794

You did not list where you live. Chan Geer is going to be teaching in Portland Oregon next month. One of the things he will be teaching is wallet interiors design and construction.

Contact me if interested.

Aaron

I still cut them from patterns I got somewhere in the 70's. Made to suit the standard wallet back. I usually cut them from 2 oz calf or goat. I'm including a photo of one of these 'installed'. This particular style is in brown goatskin with the removable photo case. Inexpensive to make. I usually just take a day every so often to cut and glue 10-20 of them so they're ready to go when needed. Send me a message if this is the style you were considering, and I'll send you the pattern.

JLSLeather:

I would Very Much like to have a copy of your pattern Dr.WWGull@GMail.com

Thanks

You did not list where you live. Chan Geer is going to be teaching in Portland Oregon next month. One of the things he will be teaching is wallet interiors design and construction.

Contact me if interested.

Aaron

Aaron:

Alas, I live in Denver. That sounds like a class I would like to attend.

---Todd

The Chaylor Fenelli inners from Springfield can be laced, I lay out the lacing slits with a thonging chisel. They can be laced or sewn by hand, below are pictures of one I made with a Chaylor Fenelli inner.

Ken

Ken:

That's Quite Impressive, I don't know whaere you found the room. Maybe it varies from insert to insert, because the one I ordered didn't have any room for stiching, it would have cut off the cradit card slots.

Thanks again for the pictures,

---Todd

I love your carved design on the front! I'd like to get away from the kits too but there's a lot to figure out if I want to make changes.

1344695304[/url]' post='260081']

Interiors

You can buy one, use it as a pattern to make more. If you still have the one that is too small, use it as a base pattern for the idea and arrangement, and modify to fit what you want.

Note that for folded wallets, the liner is typically 3/8 to 1/2" shorter than the back so it can fold without bunching up. Don't sew or lace the interior to the back across the fold so there is room for it to move. Make some paper or light cardboard mockups, staple the pieces together to see if they fit the way you want them to. Staples are easy to pull out and redo parts that don't fit or meet your satisfaction.

The interiors can be sewn on a home sewing machine since they are quite light weight. A leather point needle will help with stitch line and appearance. Keep the good side (exposed side) up when sewing.

CTG

Sorry this is taking me so long folks :)

At one time, I had a .pdf file in the computer that showed the pieces full size and also how to go about it. No longer in there. &$%&@#%@

Not a problem, just re-write, and once it's all in there anyone that wants it can have a copy. Just print it out, cut out the paper patterns (or make longer lasting ones). THEORY is that if the pattern ever wears out, you just print another one. I say "THEORY" because that only works if you make sure it's been kept on the computer :) Fortunately, I got my nose rubbed in it early enough to avoid an issue!

Working on it ... not so very far ott. :)

No time to photo today, but this is pretty simple anyway. I may have mentioned, this takes some lining leather, a shears, a knife, some type of punch, and contact cement (you could use rubber cement, preference). And all the pattern pieces. So, I usually dig the stuff out, make (at least) 10 liners, and set them off to the side for when I need them. Course, that doesn't help when you get somebody who wants ONE wallet lined with some other color ...

Chan Geer will be teaching a class on how to make your own wallet and billfold liners at the upcoming IFoLG Conference and Trade Show here in Nashville. Details are here.

No time to photo today, but this is pretty simple anyway. I may have mentioned, this takes some lining leather, a shears, a knife, some type of punch, and contact cement (you could use rubber cement, preference). And all the pattern pieces. So, I usually dig the stuff out, make (at least) 10 liners, and set them off to the side for when I need them. Course, that doesn't help when you get somebody who wants ONE wallet lined with some other color ...

Thanks so much for sharing this!

Rosemary

Thanks, this is very helpful! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Bob