cathy3145

Singer 29K Patcher

I am curious where a person can find this kind of machine.

Any ideas?

thank you

Call Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial Machinery. He has lots of them.

ferg

I am curious where a person can find this kind of machine.

Any ideas?

thank you

thank you

Call Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial Machinery. He has lots of them.

ferg

Every shoe repair shop I have ever been in has one or more Singer patchers. They are used to repair torn shoe and boot uppers, as well as for sewing patches onto leather vests and vinyl jackets. Thus, many independent motorcycle shops that sell patches may also have a patcher on hand.

Bob Kovar, of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines has racks full of Singer patchers of every model. He always has a few set up and ready to go. Call him at 866-362-7397 during business hours, M-F and until about noon on Sat - EST.

Every shoe repair shop I have ever been in has one or more Singer patchers. They are used to repair torn shoe and boot uppers, as well as for sewing patches onto leather vests and vinyl jackets. Thus, many independent motorcycle shops that sell patches may also have a patcher on hand.

Bob Kovar, of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines has racks full of Singer patchers of every model. He always has a few set up and ready to go. Call him at 866-362-7397 during business hours, M-F and until about noon on Sat - EST.

Thank you both. What I am looking for is a machine to sew deep into bags. I was interested in this one because of its 360 degree needle. Any other idea I have not thought of?

Thank you both. What I am looking for is a machine to sew deep into bags. I was interested in this one because of its 360 degree needle. Any other idea I have not thought of?

Nope. That's the machine you need. They are made in two widths at the nose. The smaller one inch nose holds a tiny bobbin that is only good for small projects. The wider nose holds a bigger bobbin that can sew a couple of belts. This assumes you are using #69 thread. For extra strength use #92 thread. Don't try to sew with anything larger or the machine will develop problems quickly.

Note, old patchers are often worn out in the feed mechanism under the head. If you can move the lifted presser foot 1/16 inch or more (fwd/bckwd), it is shot and the stitch length will be very short. I have seen patchers that barely sew 10 to the inch, due to completely worn out feed cams.

Last, the maximum thickness that most Singer patches can sew in about 1/4 inch. The later models may eek out almost 5/16 inch, if everything is really tight. Stitch length diminishes above 1/8 inch, from the max of 5/inch.

Nope. That's the machine you need. They are made in two widths at the nose. The smaller one inch nose holds a tiny bobbin that is only good for small projects. The wider nose holds a bigger bobbin that can sew a couple of belts. This assumes you are using #69 thread. For extra strength use #92 thread. Don't try to sew with anything larger or the machine will develop problems quickly.

Note, old patchers are often worn out in the feed mechanism under the head. If you can move the lifted presser foot 1/16 inch or more (fwd/bckwd), it is shot and the stitch length will be very short. I have seen patchers that barely sew 10 to the inch, due to completely worn out feed cams.

Last, the maximum thickness that most Singer patches can sew in about 1/4 inch. The later models may eek out almost 5/16 inch, if everything is really tight. Stitch length diminishes above 1/8 inch, from the max of 5/inch.

Wow, such good information. I will use this info to figure it all out! Many thanks.

cathy

Wow, such good information. I will use this info to figure it all out! Many thanks.

cathy

You can learn more about patcher specifications on this web page.

Is the feed mechanism under the head (the feed cam) replaceable on a Singer 29-4 patching machine?

Is the feed mechanism under the head (the feed cam) replaceable on a Singer 29-4 patching machine?

Contact Bob Kovar, at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines: 866-362-7397.

Thank you sir...have to say that I enjoy reading your posts and originally formed my question as a result of a response you made in another thread. Picked up a 29-4 and have been trying to get as much info on it as I can to get it running well again. I have found a fair amount of articles about this machine but there doesn't appear to be any diagrams that allow one to identify the parts of this machine. My limited knowledge of sewing machines and nomenclature doesn't help either. Got to admit that I am a little surprised that there aren't any schematics to use for part location and identification for this machine. Thanks again.

if you "google" the following, "singer 29-4 parts diagram" and then click IMAGES, you will see a plethora of options.

As I suggested, contact Bob Kovar. He owns all kinds of sewing machine manuals and parts lists. He probably has one of the largest collection of parts for all model 29 machines in this hemisphere.

Singer never did an exploded view of the 29-1 thru 5. The did with the later K versions that were built in Scotland but I have never found one for the 29-4 and I have almost all the manuals and parts lists for the Singer 29 series of machines and a few for the U.F.A. machines which was what it was called before they changed the name to a 29 class in 1896.

shoepatcher

if you "google" the following, "singer 29-4 parts diagram" and then click IMAGES, you will see a plethora of options.

Thanks sgheeter, found lots of info and images

As I suggested, contact Bob Kovar. He owns all kinds of sewing machine manuals and parts lists. He probably has one of the largest collection of parts for all model 29 machines in this hemisphere.

Spoke to Bob this AM and have and order in...thanks again Wizcrafts.

Singer never did an exploded view of the 29-1 thru 5. The did with the later K versions that were built in Scotland but I have never found one for the 29-4 and I have almost all the manuals and parts lists for the Singer 29 series of machines and a few for the U.F.A. machines which was what it was called before they changed the name to a 29 class in 1896.

shoepatcher

Thanks shoepatcher...able to order parts and starting to figure out placement and nomenclature but when it comes time to fully disassemble for cleaning and refurbish, I'll have to make do with the available material I was able to get with all of your help...thanks again for all the help.

I have one of these machines (U.F.A.) it doesn't have that bridge looking piece across the top of the machine. It looks like a double L connected at the short arm of the letter. The back of the machine frame is open not enclosed like the newer ones. One of these days I am going to rebuild it.

Edited by Geneva

Just a little background on how I ended up on this forum...I wanted a canvas/leather sewing machine and started looking a year or so ago and recently found the 29-4 for $125.00 but the Head revolving foot handle/bar revolving joint was frozen and wouldn't allow the foot to rotate in either direction as well as the Balance wheel would rotate about a half turn and then bind up...bought it anyway and after getting it home and with liberal use of penetrant, the foot began turning freely but the balance wheel wouldn't free up. Finally removed the part at the topmost point on the top of the assembly that holds the needle/walking foot assembly (where the thread passes through a hole in a piece that moves up and down)...I think its the vibrating presser lifting lever and spring (or is it the check lever, they look alike in the parts chart) repositioned the lever and replaced the check lever spring and viola...it began running smoothly. Now I can't wait for the new bobbin,shuttle and needles,thread etc. to get here to test its sewing capabilities. Fingers crossed, it'll work as it should. I realize that I still have a long way to go in getting it to run, considering I am not sure how to even install a needle,let alone time the needle to pick up the thread from the bobbin...it'll either be alot of fun working through all the rest or a complete disaster. :dunno:

...it'll either be alot of fun working through all the rest or a complete disaster. :dunno:

I know that very well but fortunately disasters were few!

Good luck with the machine.

I have the opportunity to get one of these - can I use it to sew linings on belts and straps, or is it just for small work?

5 hours ago, Mujician said:

I have the opportunity to get one of these - can I use it to sew linings on belts and straps, or is it just for small work?

What 29 sub-model is it? Is it mounted on the matching cast iron treadle base, or is it motorized on a pedestal table, or is it just the head? I ask because it takes two hands to guide the work, leaving just your feet to operate the treadle, or an electronic speed controller if it has been motorized.

I use my 29k71 to sew patches over pockets on Bikers' vests and to sew shoe uppers and purse strap tabs. I wouldn't think about using a patcher to sew a straight line longer than a few inches unless you first gouge a stitching channel into the top layer. Keeping the claw foot from moving sideways can be done by tightening a thumbscrew that goes into the front of the revolving head housing.

You really should not waste your time with a patcher unless you do shoe or purse repairs or sewing for Bikers. The bobbins are tiny and the thread handling capacity usually maxes out at T90. Finally, the maximum stitch length of a like new machine is only 5 stitches per inch, into 8 ounces of leather. The thicker the work, the shorter the stitches. As these machines wear out the stitch length gets smaller and smaller. I have encountered patchers that could only sew 8 per inch into thin shoe upper leather.

I JUST PURCHASED A SINGER 29K60.  I HAVE RESEARCHED (THAT WAS INTERESTING) FOR INFORMATION ON THE CORRECT NEEDLE FOR THIS MACHINE AND WHAT THE  PROPER THREAD WOULD BE FOR 8/9 OZ. LEATHER.  I COME UP WITH AT 92 OR 138 BONDED NYLON FOR THE THREAD AND 123 HEAVY DUTY NEEDLE.  IF SOMEONE WOULD CLARIFY THIS OR POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION I WOULD TRUELY APPRECIATE IT.  THANK YOU