TerryE

Harbor Freight Airbrush Kit 47791$5.99 will this work

Hi everyone, the above Airbrush at harbor freight is normally $7.99 and on sale or has a coupon for 25% off.

Will this work for airbrushing leather. Is this a good starter or stay away?

Thanks,

Terry

Hi everyone, the above Airbrush at harbor freight is normally $7.99 and on sale or has a coupon for 25% off.

Will this work for airbrushing leather. Is this a good starter or stay away?

Thanks,

Terry

Terry, without being negative, I would tend to stay away from something like this. Considering a quality airbrush will cost substantially more than $5.99 on sale, I would say this is probably like throwing $6 out the window. Try it- if it's crap, keep the receipt & take it back. I've purchased several of their airbrush bottle kits & returned all of them. The fittings are NOT compatible with standard airbrush fittings & connectors, but I have not bought any of their airbrushes, so I can't really comment totally about them. I would suspect that the quality is the same, however. Just my $0.02 worth, IMHO. :thumbsdown:

You can register on line at AC Moore or Michaels & use the 40% (& occcasionally 50%) coupons that they send out to your email address every week or so & purchase a DECENT airbrush. I have an Iwata. It's nice, it's dependable, it's double action & it's not crap.

Suggestion: do a google search for reviews of airbrushes. Guaranteed, harbor freight won't be listed, but Iwata & Badger (among others) will.

i'm not sure what one that is. for some stupid reasom it looks like they no longer sell online and there are also no prices on the website

i have a low dollar single action airbrush from them that i have been using for a coule years. it won't go real fine but, it works well and no problems with cloging.

this is the single action brush i am talking about.

47791.gif

if it's the quick change one... stay away. i picked up on of those and it tends to spatter when spraying dyes at least. i haven't tried it with anything else

Edited by Roger

Roger, I bought that same kit, but with the intent to use it only for finishes. My thoughts were that if SS or Resolene clogged anything, it'd be easier to deal with than taking apart my 'standard' paasche. And if it gummed up really bad, to the point of it being a hassle....well, it only cost a few bucks. Now, if I could only motivate myself to get the compressor out of the shop......

i really need to pick up a couple more! they are a dream to use for finishing!

open it up real wide and go!!

i have a couple double action brushes and don't use them much cause this one does what i need with pratically no maintainence. i just run some alchol through it now and then and wipe it down

TerryE go for it.... I have one almost like it that i bought at Tandy a Long Long time ago

i only us mine for dying large areas of leather or highlighting the edges of belts or

bilfolds. It WORKS FOR ME ...

That's a basic single-action sprayer. You won't be able to adjust the radius of the spray on the fly, but I started out with a similar one when I was getting curious about airbrushing my colors, and still use it today for applying liquid finishes. But I'll give you fair warning, it was only a few months before I wanted to be able to do more with it and upgraded to a double action brush. If you ask me, you won't be wasting your money to give it a try. Sheesh! Six bucks? (Plus shipping, of course.) How many people will drizzle away that much on a lottery ticket?

Kate

PS: I'm presuming you already have an air compressor. If not, better include that in your buying decision. That will increase your investment somewhat.

I just came from AC Moore and they have the IWANA set there for about $100. but if you buy something they usually give you a 50% off coupon for your next visit. The coupon I got today is good for 50% on the 16th of this month so I plan to go back and get the airbrush then. Also they had a wide selection of them from low end to the double action ones. All less than $150.00.

Tom

Yes, that is the one.

47791.gif

I have a compressor. i think i will buy it just to see if i get the bug. $5.99 and can pick it up at the store on the way home...Thanks everyone. Maybe if i really like airbrushing a better one will be in the works later.

T

Hey I have that! It works :) After about a year though, you'll probably wear out the rubber bushing under the button shaft that seals the air pressure, that's what mine did. I still use the thing for my projects now as I haven't ordered any replacement.

I run about 10-15psi depending on the fluid I'm spraying. It has the fine tip and sprays the dyes just fine. On the same tip, just opening it up I spray undiluted Resolene and Tan Kote and it goes without a hitch. It is pretty darn easy to take apart and clean.

Edited by Shorts

I have an Airbrush City GD100 and an Iwata Eclipse. The GD100 was around $50 when I got it a few years ago. got the Eclipse a few months ago. Both are very good airbrushes. I tend to stick with the gd100 more than the iwata....cheaper brush, but I find I have better control with it. I think maybe changing the trigger button on the iwata may help some. haven't tried airbrushing leather yet, tho I intend to. I also have two older Paasche VL airbrushes, one I use just for when I need to through down a good solid basecoat of black and the other for my candy coats. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those. :soapbox:

They have a better model on sale now for $14.99. Item # 95810-3HYH

The kit you listed would probably be ok for basic stuff. I use a good one that I bought years ago when I was in art school but I started out with a basic one before I bought that.

A Farrari is nice, but if a good 'ol Ford is all you need then get the Ford.

ArtS

Edited by ArtS

i have both models from HF and they do a good job.

I use the cheaper one for large areas and the better one for more detail.

i only use them for dyeing, if i could do air brush art , i would buy a much better one for that job