Chief31794

Where Do You Buy Leather?

Weaver or W&C are the only way to go as far as price. I have been ordering from them since 2007 and have never heard of a minimum order restriction. I have tried several other companies and no one can beat the prices while sustaining quality at the same time. If I need something in a pinch I will go to TLF because of SLC charging folk to get the best price.

Weaver sells IMPORTED, HO and CH leather. I have no idea of where they get the imported leather (if I had to guess it still comes from mexico and is just Mexican hides...) and it is hit and miss with quality. I like the Ch leather, but it depends on what you are getting... The strap hides tend to be softer than I like but the latigo and harness are great. And you are not going to get HO cheaper anywhere else.

Edited by keithhatter

I have to ask another question again, how do you know it is imported HO? If I remember correctly the cat says USA steer leather?

I think you missed the comma tina...HO hides are not imported.

Weaver sells IMPORTED, HO and CH leather.

Another good source for HO A & B grade is Goliger Leather in Ventura, CA if it's close enough. I buy all of my HO through them as I like to buy only 2-3 hides at a time so I can take advantage of Carlos picking my leathers for me out of the new batches. He does a great job if you let him know exactly what you are looking for and I never get a piece with less than 75-80% yield.

Another good source for HO A & B grade is Goliger Leather

How much does that A grade run? I like my B grade, but you never know :)

How much does that A grade run? I like my B grade, but you never know :)

I checked an invoice that was next to my desk and the total with shipping was $397.22 for 2 hides totaling 46 sq. ft. of extra clean 5/6 A grade. I live 2 hours away from Goliger so figure the shipping was about $36 and that makes the price per square foot about $7.87 or thereabouts. They are very nice, a light russet color and generally the main body has a good hand, tools very well and wet forms & dyes just as nicely.

I have tried all of Tandy's offerings, Springfield, W&C, ALD, Weaver and SLO making the same request each time of all of them. Goliger is the only one that consistently delivers on quality. SLO would be next. The surface temper of A grade HO is so much smoother and holds tooling much better than anything the others stock including W&C in my opinion. I spent over $14k on tooling leather hides last year to give you an idea of how much of a sampling I've seen from Goliger's HO stocking. Out of all those hides, only 1 was difficult to work with and all the rest provided at least 75% yield (including belly, neck and butt ends) overall.

Hope that helps!

Chris

That helps a lot Chris. I just checked out their website too. I really wish some of these older shops would catch up on the times with their websites, but I do like what I see there in terms of their service and selection.

RJF SALES 15 Woods View Drive Elmira,New York Ph 607-742-8969 Fax 607-562-5323 Best Leather Call Roger Great guy to deal with

I usually buy my leather from Thoroughblood (a.k.a. Thoroughbred), or W&C. My last order was 2.5 - 3.5 ounce motorcycle seat /chap leather from Springfield Leather and it is awesome. I would call it 99.9% usable.

The bridle leather backs I get from W&C are absolutely top grade and make hi-end belts, with a supple, waxed grain feel. Thoroughbred is only one step below them, with a slightly duller finish, but has longer hides. When I need the longest backs, I buy from TB. I am getting up to 108 inches on some recent bridle leather orders from TB.

Buy direct from Hermann Oak. Your first order can be less than 10 hides. You can just buy backs or whole sides. For one or two hides W&C direct is nice too. I like their Chestnut color. Beats hell out of dyeing brown and trying to get an even color.

Does anyone have a Tippmann Embosser for sale or know where I can buy one?

I have more than 600 belts that require embossing and will have more every month.

Richard

Leather by Kutner

Near San Diego, CA

Email diskliq@gmail.com

Cell 760-419-4701

I buy most of mine from Wickett and Craig. They have beautiful leather. Just for kicks really I ordered a piece if Herman oak from Springfield leather to try it and another time from Weavers BC W&C was out of what I needed and I couldn't wait any more. The W&C was so smooth and perfect, it was also a better grade though so its not a fair comparison. Either way I like being able to buy right from the tannery, they split it for me and I have it holstered. Also the W&C I get always is very light colored, I attribute that to being very fresh because the stuff that sits around, even rolled up is always darker. This really doesn't matter much but I figured I'd note it anyhow. Both were about the same as far as working with it goes.

I buy supplies from Weavers, certain other things from Springfield but leather from Wickett and Craig. I mostly use #2 unless I need a large perfect piece then I get 1 but for holsters the 2 is fine. I was even getting the 3 for a while and it was very nice however I got a few pieces that weren't that great so I quit using it, I honestly think they were just running out at the time and using pieces that would have been picked over and that's why the quality went down.

Another nice thing with them is they will provide American flag tags that say the leather in this item is made in the USA which is a nice little touch to add to the finished product. You have to ask for them though.

I placed an order with W&C on 4/1. I called them yesterday to check on it and they said it would ship at the end of this week. Is that a normal lead time for them? I also am haveing them split it for me and I'm sure that adds to the time. I looked at all of the leathers at the trade show in Wickenburg this year and I liked what W&C had the best and that is why I ordered from them. I guess I just didn't know how long it would take.

I placed an order with W&C on 4/1. I called them yesterday to check on it and they said it would ship at the end of this week. Is that a normal lead time for them? I also am haveing them split it for me and I'm sure that adds to the time. I looked at all of the leathers at the trade show in Wickenburg this year and I liked what W&C had the best and that is why I ordered from them. I guess I just didn't know how long it would take.

It normally takes 1-2 weeks if they are splitting it. For some reason it has been taking longer than it used to as well, I'm not sure why, I've had to adjust when I order it to make sure I don't run out. I learned this after I ran out once and I had to order some from weavers to get me by. Its always been worth the wait though even though it is annoying that it can take so long, I really believe they have the best and you can always tell its really fresh and hasn't been sitting around in some warehouse or on a shelf for a while.

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind waiting. I will just have to plan on it.

Paul

It normally takes 1-2 weeks if they are splitting it. For some reason it has been taking longer than it used to as well, I'm not sure why, I've had to adjust when I order it to make sure I don't run out. I learned this after I ran out once and I had to order some from weavers to get me by. Its always been worth the wait though even though it is annoying that it can take so long, I really believe they have the best and you can always tell its really fresh and hasn't been sitting around in some warehouse or on a shelf for a while.

I think I was reading somewhere that they virtually shutdown this time of year to clean or do something else plant wide. I can't remember the details right now. But I do remember it was about this time last year that someone mentioned it was taking a long time and then a phone call was made where the explanation was given.

Thank you to robertmico and Spinner for recommending Goliger. I live in driving distance to them, and I went and met with Cheryl and Carlos, and they are absolutely wonderful to work with. I left with a gorgeous H.O. latigo that is just stunning in comparison to what I've seen (not saying I've seen much, since I was buying at Tandy), but oh my Goliger's leather is just gorgeous.

Needless to say Carlos spent a good few hours with me giving me a tour and letting me see all the leathers they sell. They've also got some gorgeous H.O. bridle I'm going to get next.

Thank you for this thread! Appreciate you all very much! :)