Yes, I've shown it in it's various stages, but it's finally DONE! Critique if you want, but I am happy with it. I can still learn even if I'm happy!

Brent

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5442.JPG

IMG_5446.JPG

post-5266-1218055965_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1218055974_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1218055983_thumb.jpg

This looks really cool. Is it for you or someone else? I look at things like this and think about how it will be handed down though the generations.

ArtS

Hi Howard.

It looks great. Depending on what you want to use the holster for, I would think about incorporating a safety strap/hammer thong into your next design.

Cheers.

C79

Humdinger!

I've liked that "howling wolf" design since you showed it.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:  VERY NICELY DONE!  Keep it up!

Storm

Nice work indeed. As one who hunts and carries a handgun a good bit, I'll second the suggestion of adding a retaining strap.

Hammer thong!?!?!?! LOL oh sorry. This looks KILLER!!!! I Love it.

Very nice Holster. But the design is fantastic.

Howard---- you just amaze me with your leather work. looks great.

keep it up... :red_bandana:

Really Cool Brent...Love the way your design turned out:-)

I ALMOST incorporated a "hammer thong" :rofl: but decided against it.

#1 - I didn't want to screw it up by adding yet another feature

#2 - It's for me, and I don't go anywhere with the gun, so it's strictly show & tell.

#3 - I was making it up as I went.

I used the "Alex Madson" tracing method to figure out the pattern. I know he does "thongs" sometimes, and he even showed me how to do one. I even bought a nubby to snap the thong onto. Then along came reason #1. The others just helped rationalize #1.

If I make one for somebody, I will definitely incorporate a safety thong (hee hee!) on the holster.

Thanks for all the comments!

Brent

Brett, very nice work...is that a welt I see along the stitching edge, or are the beers playing games with me??

I've only made one holster so far, and didn't even think of using a welt...is it common/necessary practice?

Again, great work, and I can't wait to see the matching belt....hee...

Brent my man....That's freaking NICE !! Love the design, you totally owned it. Totally !

It doesn't show that you were #3ing it at all. Again well done, very nice.

Brett, very nice work...is that a welt I see along the stitching edge, or are the beers playing games with me??

I've only made one holster so far, and didn't even think of using a welt...is it common/necessary practice?

Again, great work, and I can't wait to see the matching belt....hee...

Belt? Oh heck no...

The welt is definitely there... a slice of the same 9/10 oz. as the outside of the holster. The need for a welt depends on the hog leg (as it was explained to me). Mine is a big N frame Smythe & Wessonski and the thickness of everything mandated it. It was a MAJOR pain handsewing 5 layers of cow. It's purt neer a half inch across that seam.

If you have a thinner weep'n you can add a bit of length to the seam and skip the welt. I did one for my .22 Ruger and DID include the welt, but when I re-make it, I will probably skip the welt. The gun just doesn't need it. I will probably work on incorporating a safety strap on that one just for the learning experience. I'll also work with some thinner leather too. Two layers of 4 to 6 oz will work as well and have a thinner seam!

Anyway, I'm rambling as the beers told me to. I'll stop now!

Brent

FREAK - thanks man! Praise from you is like winnin' the gold in china!

"It was a MAJOR pain handsewing 5 layers of cow. It's purt neer a half inch across that seam."

Brent, that is why God made drill presses.....the struggle to stab an awl through that thickness of leather just isn't healthy! Not to mention what it looks like in back....

I bought this little table top drill press on Craigs for $30 and it works great for that situation.....

Try it, you'll like it....

"It was a MAJOR pain handsewing 5 layers of cow. It's purt neer a half inch across that seam."

Brent, that is why God made drill presses.....the struggle to stab an awl through that thickness of leather just isn't healthy! Not to mention what it looks like in back....

I bought this little table top drill press on Craigs for $30 and it works great for that situation.....

Try it, you'll like it....

I tried it with a drill press (dremel in a stand) and it went WAY better than trying to push by hand. BUT, my edges weren't quite square and like a total idiot I grooved BEFORE gluing the seam up. So I had two grooves on opposite sides that didn't track with each other, so I was shooting blind drilling from one side to halfway, and then trying to find the hole drilling from the back side. Stitch wheels didn't help due to the variation in the grooves. It started out OK, but soon went somewhere in a handbasket. I still had to wobble around with either the needle or an awl to track the holes through. It came out OK in the end, but what a [expletive deleted] of a time.

I will SO do this differently next time. Glue, grind, THEN drill all the way through (woo hoo), and THEN groove...

It just has to be better next time, right??

Brent

Brent, just noticed sumpin.....the contour of your holster looks like it may have been designed so you could use a Mexican loop feature, (like the picture below) as an alternate desgn feature. (?)

I'm looking for this pattern, is there a name, number, whatever??

DoubleLoop1A.jpg

Brent, just noticed sumpin.....the contour of your holster looks like it may have been designed so you could use a Mexican loop feature, (like the picture below) as an alternate desgn feature. (?)

I'm looking for this pattern, is there a name, number, whatever??

DoubleLoop1A.jpg

I just got these at Tandy for a $1.49. Their on sale for August.

cattleman_holsters.jpg

post-6291-1219320813_thumb.jpg

I just got these at Tandy for a $1.49. Their on sale for August.

cattleman_holsters.jpg

Perfect...I'm going by there today...thanks!!

Yes, I've shown it in it's various stages, but it's finally DONE! Critique if you want, but I am happy with it. I can still learn even if I'm happy!

Brent,

I haven't been around here in a while so haven't followed it, but I really like it. I like things that are different.

Looks good.

Would look good with the mexican loop that Rayban shows. I'd like to see a little dye on the mexi-loop pic'd. I'm typically not crazy with black on leather, unless it's all in that tone, but in this case with the wolf it works well, IMO.

I think it's very nice, but since it's for you, what do YOU think about it now that you've had some time to think about it?

Cheers,

TT

TT - The "black" is actually a dark brown and doesn't look quite as bad as the photo. I am very pleased with the result, though the stitching was a pain. That's just figuring out how to do it easier/better next time. I think it's my best effort to date. Not ready to quit my day job yet, but it did turn out nice.

Rayban - no pattern! 100% original design, including the holster shape. Another reason why it's fairly simple!

Brent

Brent,

I haven't been around here in a while so haven't followed it, but I really like it. I like things that are different.

Looks good.

Would look good with the mexican loop that Rayban shows. I'd like to see a little dye on the mexi-loop pic'd. I'm typically not crazy with black on leather, unless it's all in that tone, but in this case with the wolf it works well, IMO.

I think it's very nice, but since it's for you, what do YOU think about it now that you've had some time to think about it?

Cheers,

TT

Nice work! It was fun to watch through the progress of the design and the build. Thanks for sharing.

Oh I've completely missed this one since I was away when posted. I actually been wondering when you were gonna show us something new a few times.

It is a very nice holster, imagination and creativity points outrank any detail criticism I would have besides this is show off so standing :clapping: I love it.

Nice edges too.

Tom

Howard, That holster has a LOT of talent in it. Being able to transfer that scene to leather shows you are an artist. Good Work!!