I'm making a wallet for a spider-loving (male) friend. Any more experienced painters that can give me advice on a good background color? I was thinking something in the purple spectrum because it would make the orange of the spider stand out. Any ideas? And does this look okay? Thanks. :whatdoyouthink:

post-24197-0-67908300-1357618726_thumb.j

The spider looks good. I would be concerned with a dark color that would make the legs harder to see. Just about any color would work as long as it is lighter than the legs..JMHO

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking a light lavender, but thought that might be too "feminine."

Id be concerned of getting my butt kicked every time I took the thing out from people slapping it or hitting it with sticks! Great spider!

I think black would be perfect. You wouldn't lose any detail with black really.

I personally would like green. Black would make the legs look too thin unless you left a slight space all around the spider with no color. But hey I'm just some guy.

I decided on a light gray. Here is how it turned out. My friend/client seems pleased, so that's what counts!

Now I'm having trouble fitting the inside into the wallet cover. If they are the same length, the inside gets completely smashed and buckles. If the outside is a bit bigger, it puckers terribly when open. I've never made a small tri-fold wallet, obviously, but that's what most men want. Don't know how to keep the bulk down. Urg!

post-24197-0-41073700-1357840549_thumb.j

Edited by cercyonis

reduce the width of the inside piece by 2x the thickness of the leather. glue up 1 side and fold slightly as you match and glue to the other side.

You're wanting to glue it in with a gentle (roughly) 90 degree fold.

i BELIEVE that the measurement is correct. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I always glue and fold and then trim as I don't use pre-cut patterns.

pete

reduce the width of the inside piece by 2x the thickness of the leather. glue up 1 side and fold slightly as you match and glue to the other side.

You're wanting to glue it in with a gentle (roughly) 90 degree fold.

i BELIEVE that the measurement is correct. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I always glue and fold and then trim as I don't use pre-cut patterns.

pete

That sounds about right. I usually just wing it and do "whatever works" for the sizing, but 2x the thickness sounds about right. Basically I center my insert, fold it up like it would normally be carried then mark whatever is hanging out the sides for trimming.