Here is a picture of a little girls 'bling' belt I recently finished.

post-36862-0-06984900-1358270807_thumb.jpost-36862-0-69534400-1358270814_thumb.j

This project is a gift, but I have a hard time wondering what I would have charged if it had been an actual order.

My cost, between leather, buckle and crystals was just shy of $50. Add a bit for the other hardware and dye, plus the time to make it - is this a $100 belt??? I don't think people realize how fast the cost can go up when adding extra 'bling', conchos or other items to a project.

I have come to think that the back of every belt should be dyed, probably the same color as the front, as I am tired of having the blotchy patches of color that seep through the prepunched buckle pin, snap, concho or crystal rivet holes. Other than that, they all need lined after dying.

All comments appreciated.

JJ

I like it a lot! I am sure the girl will love all the bling on it as well. Do you stitch the lining in after you dye it? I have no clue on the pricing matter sine I mainly do my work just as a hobby, but I am sure I will sell sooner or later.

I agree with you. The only reason I haven't made myself a bling belt is that it is almost cheaper to buy them, especially if you find a sale, at a store than make them. It looks great!

My formula for selling an item is cost of materials times 5 is the retail cost. Of course I buy my material at wholesale.

I agree Billie. I country line dance and all the girls try to get me to make them belts loaded with bling. I always say I can not compete with China. They get their belts at local farmer's markets for around 70-90 bucks. I bet they have that much money just in conchos......not counting leather, dye, crystals, buckle, belt stay, or tip.

Renee - When I do put a lining on belts, the leather is dyed first ( don't want to dye the thread) and finish edges after sewing.

Radar - I get all my stuff at wholesale or if at Tandy, the elite price. Cost would have been a whole lot more if I had to pay retail for everything. So my next belt like this is $250 - :rofl:

Thanks for all the positive comments.

JJ

Its cool. Slave labor is cheap over seas, but perhaps you could have an indentured servant until the girl works off her belt? :P

Mike2 -She just turned one year old - may have to get an IOU signed with her crayolas for future services.

David - Thanks. I am sure she does even though when she was born, her mom said "she would never be seen in 'pink'!"

I am tired of having the blotchy patches of color that seep through the prepunched buckle pin, snap, concho or crystal rivet holes.

Using painters tape on the back side of your belt will help prevent that.

TR - Thanks for the tip. Have never heard of anyone doing that before. Will definitely be giving it a try.

Love this site - been doing this 'hobby' for almost forty five years and still learning tricks.

JJ

I've been using the green but the blue should work just as well and maybe better.

Renee - When I do put a lining on belts, the leather is dyed first ( don't want to dye the thread) and finish edges after sewing.

Radar - I get all my stuff at wholesale or if at Tandy, the elite price. Cost would have been a whole lot more if I had to pay retail for everything. So my next belt like this is $250 - :rofl:

Thanks for all the positive comments.

JJ

It looks a lot to me too

At this rate, nothing i build would sell

But JJ, what can i tell you :

I am french, i do buy a lot of my supplies in the USA and finally i found that what's fair (i do not pay myself much ) if you count all kind of taxes and your labor is:

material x3 = your retail price (as a general rule and i do adapt a bit depending of the time i spend on it

that would make your belt : 150$ (which sounds fair to me)

and i can tell you : i would do this (here in france) only on special order 'cause as said before : you find those kind of belts at "chinese price" and people do not care that's junk. ...

Keep going! ;)

Aurelie - I agree with you, on a custom order, I may try to ask $120 to $150 for a belt like this. It still just seems like a lot of money for a kid's belt that can be bought from other sources for half that amount of less.

JJ

Aurelie - I agree with you, on a custom order, I may try to ask $120 to $150 for a belt like this. It still just seems like a lot of money for a kid's belt that can be bought from other sources for half that amount of less.

JJ

Yes JJ, but this is another problem pointed by Renee

What's best?

making a belt at your cost? what's the goal of this? Everyone deserves to be paid for his labor

I know that you can find cheaper because of chinese manufactured goods and we ( leatherworkers or else) can 't compete with that...Nothing new on the sky

Except 2 things=>

1st , you can comunicate on the quality of the items you build and sell (only good materials , your neat work ) and tell without lying that they 're build to last a lifetime or 2 (that's what i do and i am confident about the quality of my stuff)

and another thing i realised and i work in this direction = It may be a bad time economically speaking , the rich become even more rich and those have money to spend without batting a eye ==> those are my main target (really hard to get, ask a lot of time , skills )

Not that i am making the apology of casts....but we all need to pay bills and put food on the table...so go get the money where it is ;)

That's my opinion at least ;)

Good luck for the future JJ

;)