Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Rattlesnake For A Coonan

So this is my first time messing with Rattlesnake. Actually was easier to work with than I expected, you just need to be very gentle with it when it's wet. I was afraid the scales might fall off when wet but thank goodness they held on.

7-8oz W&C and 3-4oz HO were used in the 5 piece construction. Fiebings Pro Oil Black and Springfield Leather Pro-Clear finish.

And a Coonan with matching grips.

rsnake.jpg

Damn fine job!

Your exotic work is always so clean.

Nice work. Did you do the grips too or can you buy them that way? I'm not really familiar with that brand.

nice................now I know what I want to do with all them rattlesnakes around me.......gotta catch em first though

You got to love that...excellent work as always Dan. Ive got a pile of snake that im not ready to play with yet. Ive got a ring lizard crust that is waiting on dye though..full panel for a 1911 SOB for a buddy of mine at the local gun shop...if i can nail the od green dye, it should look killer with the sig scorpion...did you have to dye the snake to get it just right?..im really digging those double stitch lines...

Thanks guys. The Coonan is based off of the 1911 pattern but is chambered in .357 Magnum. It's pretty cool. Not sure where the owner got the grips.

Finding a rattlesnake skin wide enough for this build was fairly difficult. I hooked up with a seller on ebay and he went through all his stock and sent me photos of the widest ones he had available. Other than the sealant I made no changes in color.

The innermost stitch lines are there to hold the front panel and the snake to the main layer. The layout and planning of these builds is always a bit challenging but get a little easier each time.

I am delivering it to the owner oin Friday and he is super excited to be getting it!

Dan

SWEEEEET!

Very nice could you show a picture of the backside?

P.S. that gun is awesome looking as well, wish I had one of those.

Edited by Chef niloc

I have seen a lot of holster postings on this site. some I pay more attention to than others, but this really stands out. Im suspecting its the matching grips to, but the whole project is soooo clean. very very nice.

Really a good looking rig, . . . good job.

May God bless,

Dwight