rawhide1

Leather Firehelmet

I've been wanting to make a leather helmet for awhile now. And with our 125th Kansas State Firefighters Association conference this year. I thought what the heck. This helmet is just a wall hanger as its not NFPA approved. It will be auctioned off at the conf. with all monies going to a scholarship fund. I had fun building it and learned a lot. Hopefully the next one will go faster and smoother.

Thanks for looking, Mike

post-4953-0-55323400-1363480826_thumb.jppost-4953-0-29836500-1363480909_thumb.jppost-4953-0-13165100-1363480948_thumb.jppost-4953-0-07878600-1363480984_thumb.jp

That looks like a lot of work!

Good look'n lid, nice job.

That is very nice. I can't even imagine trying to figure out how to do one of those.

Very nice job. Quite challenging. Do you have a pattern and willing to share it? Or do up a tutorial? I'm sure there are a number of people here that would be up to the challenge. I had a look around and there are a few YouTube videos out there. Will have to watch a couple closely to see what I can pick up.

Tom

One Word...NICE.

Very cool project and great job! I would also be interested in the pattern or a tutorial if you are willing to share. Thanks for posting.............Rory

I want thank everyone for the kind words.

I did take some pics along the way when I remembered to which wasn't as often as I should have. As far as patterns I'm not sure how much good they would do. As I will need to adjust them for the next one. Some were way off. I just adjusted them on the fly this time. All the pics need to be resized. When I get time I'll do that and post them. I would be more than happy to share anything I know which isn't much. If I get some time I'll try and do a tut. as I'm not the fastest on the computer.

Thanks again, Mike

Very nice looking! What did you use for a frame in it ?

Hmm, isn't it NFPA approved ?+ Strange :thumbsup:

Thanks

I covered a off the shelf hardhat with the brim cut off. Although I think it would of held its shape fine without the hardhat shell. The brim is 12oz and 6oz veg tan with a piece of baling wire between the two. The wire helps the brim hold its shape.

Mike

That is cool! Nicely done.

Wow... wouldn't even know where to start! Nice job!

Fantastic work. I'd love to learn to make one of those.

I want to thank y'all for all the kind words. :)

Mike

Awesome work brother. I only dream of doing that. Wish you were closer so I could learn how to master this. Looks awesome.

Thanks brother for the compliment. If I can do anything or answer any questions just give me a holler. This has went over pretty dang good with everyone that has saw it. I've been asked to possibly make some as retirement gifts. I plan on making fifteen mini helmets. One for each guy on my shift for Christmas. I have to many projects I want to do.

Mike

That's pretty awesome. There are a couple people out there that make leather helmets. One is a reproduction old-school lid that really only looks right with a high-eagle and a 1930's open-top pumper. There's another that makes a non-NFPA leather shell that mates with a Cairns 1010 impact cap.

Thanks

I wanted to go with the high eagle but couldn't locate any. I've also seen a lion and rooster that were pretty cool. You wouldn't happen to have a link or contact info. for those folks would ya. I've been thinking of hand carving one and making a mold so I could cast some. But buying one would be better! Does putting the shell on the cairns impact cap make it NFPA compliant.

Thanks again, Mike

awesome!

Thanks

I wanted to go with the high eagle but couldn't locate any. I've also seen a lion and rooster that were pretty cool. You wouldn't happen to have a link or contact info. for those folks would ya. I've been thinking of hand carving one and making a mold so I could cast some. But buying one would be better! Does putting the shell on the cairns impact cap make it NFPA compliant.

Thanks again, Mike

fdhelmets.com makes a leather parade helmet. As does D'alesio Group. And Handtubs, who also are one of the biggest dealers for Phenix leather helmets.

Royce Shields used to have a website up for their offering, which was the one that accepted a 1010 shell. The website is down now, so I don't know if they're still doing them. They also sold a lot of leather shields and belts, which seemed to be their primary business. I talked in person with the guy about his helmets at the South Carolina Firefighters Convention last year, and I wish I'd had the money to buy one at the time. They were phenomenal. The filigree was depressed into the leather, instead of raised like a Cairns, but otherwise looked and felt like a New Yorker on the outside. I didn't put one on, but I'd imagine they rode well. As far as NFPA approval, it takes a LOT. While he believed (as do I, looking at the helmet) that his lids would pass, it takes the destruction of so many of them to pass NFPA testing that a small business would be crippled by the approval process. I can say this- his lids were traditionally made leather outside with a carbon fiber shell inside to support it, and the 1010 impact cap and suspension. I can't see why that wouldn't pass. I'd trust it without NFPA written inside.

Blazin

Thanks glad ya liked it!

Footrat

Thanks for the info. I kind of figured the process would include the destruction of a few helmets. I also wouldn't want the liability of a LODD. With all that said it wouldn't bother me a bit to wear a helmet I made. But the department wants everything NFPA approved. If something were to happen and I had a non NFPA approved lid on I'm not sure my family would be able to collect the insurance even if the lid had no bearing on the incident. So I stay with my Conway for now.

Thanks again, Mike

If your department REQUIRES everything be NFPA, do they also require you keep the goggles mounted to the helmet? Do they replace your helmets every 6 years or less? Do they inspect every piece of PPE for any damage that would preclude an NFPA rating? If not, they've got no leg on which to stand.

I wear a Houston, but it doesn't have goggles. Same helmet, no NFPA. I'm buying a New Yorker next time.