WashingtonCross

Cobra 3 Machine Not Stitching

Hello all. I'll try to make sense here. For some reason, my Cobra 3 isn't stitching now. I've re-threaded numerous times, cleaned the machine, etc and it won't work. The top thread grabs the bobbin thread fine before sewing. I'm thinking something is wrong with the tension. The leather is is getting punctured by the needle, the leather is being advanced by the feed dogs. Before stitching, I'll hold both the top and bobbin thread with my right hand so they don't tangled in the bobbin case and the machine wants to pull the top thread from my right hand instead of the spool. If that makes sense. It's weird. Thanks for your help. :dunno:

Are you threading the needle left to right?

I don't suppose you missed the take up lever when you threaded the machine did you.

I don't suppose you missed the take up lever when you threaded the machine did you.

Hehehe, I did that, once! Bet I'm not alone

Edited by J Hayes

I did it once and posted a message on the forum. It was a bit embarrassing. Call Steve at the Leather Machine Company. He'll likely have you up and running in a few minutes. 1-866-962-9880. Even if you didn't buy it from him, he will help you out.

Steve

Here are some pictures to maybe help.

post-39562-0-88670300-1364851627_thumb.jpost-39562-0-52383300-1364851633_thumb.jpost-39562-0-14189600-1364851639_thumb.jpost-39562-0-64916200-1364851644_thumb.j

I did it once and posted a message on the forum. It was a bit embarrassing. Call Steve at the Leather Machine Company. He'll likely have you up and running in a few minutes. 1-866-962-9880. Even if you didn't buy it from him, he will help you out.

Steve

He's not in the office today. :cowboy: Anyway...Here are some pictures to maybe help.

post-39562-0-88670300-1364851627_thumb.jpost-39562-0-52383300-1364851633_thumb.jpost-39562-0-14189600-1364851639_thumb.jpost-39562-0-64916200-1364851644_thumb.j

Edited by WashingtonCross

... the machine wants to pull the top thread from my right hand instead of the spool. If that makes sense. It's weird. Thanks for your help. :dunno:

Check the bobbin case to see if the thread has unwound inside it. Also check the shuttle race for cut thread between the shuttle and race.

If neither of the above explains the problem, remove the throat cover and shuttle cover plate and watch the loop as the hook approaches and meets it. You should be able to see the thread get picked off and the top tread going around the shuttle. If the thread is getting hung up on something sharp, like the head of the bobbin tension screw, problems will arise.

Check the bobbin case to see if the thread has unwound inside it. Also check the shuttle race for cut thread between the shuttle and race.

If neither of the above explains the problem, remove the throat cover and shuttle cover plate and watch the loop as the hook approaches and meets it. You should be able to see the thread get picked off and the top tread going around the shuttle. If the thread is getting hung up on something sharp, like the head of the bobbin tension screw, problems will arise.

I did that just to make sure the shuttle race body, hook cover, shuttle driver was clean, etc. It's driving me cookoo. And thank you for your suggestion sir.

Update: the top thread is getting jammed in the shuttle race body. Its failing to go around the bobbin barrel as you can see in these pics. What a mess. It also seems that the spacing between the shuttle hook and the race body is preventing the top thread from going around the bobbin barrel, therefore pulling the thread from my right hand as I hold it before securing the first few stitches. Don't know how to fix this.

post-39562-0-07528200-1364857981_thumb.jpost-39562-0-76912100-1364857986_thumb.jpost-39562-0-53095800-1364857992_thumb.jpost-39562-0-04702300-1364857998_thumb.j

Edited by WashingtonCross

I don't know if has anything to do with your problem or not. But where you have the thread run through the side wire loop twice

i come down the back make one a half loops on the disk and come out the wire guide once. Been doing it that way for 20 years and it works fine. Like i said it may have nothing to do with your problem but it's easy to check.

I can't tell for sure but in the pictures I'd check the threading first. Here's a video that explains the threading process in detail. Again if all else fails, call Steve.

Steve Nelson

Well...I had to take a break from the machine as I was losing patience after two days of trying to get her to work. Back at it today. Hopefully I can figure it out by today's end. Here is a video on what's happening:

I know its something simple. Will call Steve a little later.

Either the thread is not going through the take-up lever, or the shuttle timing has become retarded. If the latter, there is an adjuster accessible through a covered port on the lower front of the machine body. Don't attempt to adjust this without guidance.

With Steve's guidance, I adjusted the hook timing. The hook should be approx. 1/8 inch above the eye of the needle. Going to make sure the setting is correct again today. And the thread is going through the take up lever. Sigh....

Were you able to get it stitching yet?

Great to hear. I am curious what the problem ended up being though, just in case I or someone else runs into the same thing

Great to hear. I am curious what the problem ended up being though, just in case I or someone else runs into the same thing

The hook timing was slightly off. It's funny...I told Steve that having problems right at the beginning is a great way to learn the ins and outs of your machine. I could probably take the whole dang thing apart and put it back together. :showoff:

Been there, but it took me over a year to figure out my sailrite. They used to give great service, but I think so many people called them they started to put up walls. I learned a lot, but it really took me for ever to get there. My Techsew always ran perfectly, and I am off to a good start with the Cobra 4.

I should say on the sailrite. That it worked fine for sails when I bought it, trouble started when I tried to get it to sew other stuff, which it is pretty good at once one knows how to diagnose just about everything that can go wrong, and make one's own adjustments...

I'm far from an expert. I have a Cobra 4, so it may thread differently. On mine, the thread goes from the spool through the loop, around the tension ring and then back out the same loop before going down to the 2nd tension loop. Does this make sense? Your photo shows your thread going straight from the first tension ring straight down.

Sorry....didn't see the rest of the post where you got it fixed. Glad you are back in business.

Here are some pictures to maybe help.

He's not in the office today. :cowboy: Anyway...Here are some pictures to maybe help.

I am sure someone already told u, I didn't read through the entire post, but u didn't go back through the eye on the first pic. I did the same thing and had the same problems.

Not sure why, not enough tension maybe, but fixing on my Cobra 3 remedied the prob

Man I've been having the same problem... I had to reset my timing which fixed the problem of it picking up the thread on my Cobra 4 for a while but now the thing just wont stitch and the needle is pulling my work up each stitch while only making holes, not stitching. The I can pull the bobbin thread up while prepping to stitch but its not grabbing at all while I stitch. Also really hating that this is on a weekend and I cant just call steve. Any advice would help.

Heres a vid of the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziwot3NiVhQ&feature=youtu.be