Boriqua

Do You Include Instructions With Your Holsters

I didnt think I had to but I just had someone pick up one of my holsters. It was made out of 10oz leather, wet formed and then baked hard as I had read about here. It made it wonderfully rigid and retention is amazing. A day after the bake 2 coats of Super sheen were applied. Person took the holster and handed it to a freind that just had to hold it and he grabbed the ears of the pancake and upon telling his friend that it was to hard and needed breaking in he forcefully bent the ears back and forth as hard as he could to soften it. Helping his friend no doubt that cringed. The sheen at the crease where it meets the body of the holster showed some spiderwebing.

I just never thought about anyone doing something like this. I assumed he would just wear it and in doing so it softens and molds to your body. I dont use supersheen on things I know will be bent back and forth like a belt. I just never anticipated someone grabbing a wetmolded rigid holster and wringing it back and forth. I also have had to stop people from shortening the breakin process by wanting to put water in the holster.

So do you include any instructions i.e. Use paste wax to shine it up, dont add water etc

Edited by Boriqua

I have care and maintainance instructions on my website.

I'll sometimes email them some instructions with the final email letting them know it's shipped. That issue is why I started using oil and beeswax as a finish. It must be a testosterone thing. Guys just have to bend the darn holster. Drives me nuts.

I don't do holsters, but I'm afraid of the same thing happening with my guitar straps. I send out an aftercare sheet through email telling them how to handle it and care for it, and emphasize letting it naturally break in with use. I also send a printed copy with the leather - since I know they don't all read the email.

I use Resolene on most of them. It's flexible, but will show spider webing if forced like that.

I've only had one come back and ask "what can I use to soften this thing up?". I had to point him back at the aftercare sheet and give him directions again. I'm just happy that he asked first!!!

I offer a warranty on my items so yes I do specify care and cleaning recomendations as well as not using house hold cleaners, solvents etc. If you search some of Lobos threads you will find one where a customer complained that there was a problem with the holster and when Lobo got the holster back it reeked of gasoline. I do recomend including care instructions as a lot of people don't know how to care for leather goods. I would alos outline what constitutes abuse and would not be covered by a warranty if you offer one.

People always want to try to smash the mouth of the holster closed while exclaiming "This is the most rigid leather holster I've ever seen!"

amazing.

I have always looked for a "use and care" sheet with pretty much anything I buy, . . . so I extend that to my customers.

A "Thank You" letter, . . . plus a "use and care" sheet of do's and don'ts.

May God bless,

Dwight

It may be a big request but if anyone were willing would you please share with me what you hand out so I can use it as a starting point for me to put something together. I understand if you are reluctant but even knowing the formatting would be helpful.

Alex

Mine thanks them for their purchase, tells them how to care for the item, if it's a holster I include the 4 laws of gun safety and end with an invitation to come back and buy something else. This includes a 10% discount if they become a repeat customer within the first 6 months.

For HOLSTERS:

All of my sales are face to face, and I explain their warranty to them, offer to answer questions, etc. I'm also selective of my customers. I sell through my buddy's gun store and only people we know and have proven themselves competent are "qualified" as holster customers. I know it seems a bit snobbish, but it's allowed me to operate with minimal overhead.