LeatherHead99

Conditioning Before Sealing .... Pure Or Prime Neatsfoot Or Other

I searched the forum, but had no luck in finding the answer I wanted. I'm new to leather working and never actually conditioned my leather before sealing it. This would probably be why the leather becomes stiff after dying and sealing. I've read on the forum that most people use Neatsfoot oil for this process... Which one do I use... the "Prime" or the "Pure" for this step? Or does it not matter? I don't have any leather shops close, and the only place that sells anything remotely related to leather crafting is the local Tractor Supply. The only thing they carry on the shelf are these 4 products and wasnt sure if any of them could be used for conditioning before sealing...

1. Fiebings Liquid Glycerine Saddle Soap $4.99 - spray bottle
  2. Fiebings Blended Silicone- Lanolin Saddle Oil $4.99 16oz bottle
  3. Fiebings Prime Neatsfoot Oil compound $4.99 16oz bottle
  4. Farnam "Leather New" Easy polishing Glycerine soap.. $9.99 16oz spray bottle

Would the Prime Neatsfoot work for conditioning prior to sealing or do I need the Pure.. ( kinda lost on this one) or could one of the other products listed work the same or better. These are just the product available to me locally that I know of at the moment... If none of these are a good choice then I'll likely be ordering some product from SLC or Tandy online.

Thanks for the help.

Hi

I asked the same question about neatsfoot about a month ago when I was placing an order, the responses were basically "get the pure". Which is what I got. Though I've not had need to use it yet..

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=47642

Thanks for the info... much appreciated...

So, the other items I listed.. are they pretty much for restoring / conditioning finished products?

Used primarily on finished products to clean, restore and hydrate.

Alot can also depend on what your finishing your leather with. I use to seal with neatlac and other similar items but started moving away from that and using more natural coatings because of the fact the leather would age a little more naturally and looked better (IMHO) with time. Also depending on what you seal it with you can refresh it over time which is something I liked as well.

My process usually is once done give it a coat of neatsfoot oil, can use the prime, others have used things like olive oil and what not. Once this has sat for atleast overnight I take a mixture I made from combining bees wax/ parafin wax/ and a small amount of neats foot oil. This mix comes out white and consistancy almost of medium soft butter. I rub this in to the leather and let it sit someplace warm then buff it out. Gives a nice mellow sheen and protects very well. I have also used sno-seal which works very well. One I want to use but have not yet is montana pitch blend.

As stated I like these finishes because myself or the customer can go back every year or 6 months or whatever and reapply.

The issue here is not "prime" but "compound'; pure is 100 percent neetsfoot oil whereas the compound is"some neetsfoot plus other stuff". I have been told the other stuff includes mineral oil and other adulterants designed to reduce cost at possible expense to your leather. At a quart for £10 I decided the price of the pure was cheap enough for me.

One I want to use but have not yet is montana pitch blend.

Definitely worth trying out. I use it on top of all my stuff, finished or not. It works well on its own if the item isn't going to see constant wear (like my wife's kindle cover), but I also apply it to all of my guitar straps and belts after the Resolene. But, keep in mind it will have to be allowed to sit at least overnight so that the oils can leach through the finish coat before buffing. I also instruct my customers to do the same once or twice a year.

Thanks for the info... much appreciated...

So, the other items I listed.. are they pretty much for restoring / conditioning finished products?

You welcome. You might want to take note of the below two excellent pinned topics in this forum, I think the soap can be used for the edges.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19121

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101

thanks for the info. Tractor supply actually carried PURE Neatsfoot, but I guess they were out of stock when I visited the store and gathered this info. I checked their online store and found that they carried it afterall . I called the same store and they had just gotten some back in stock.. "pure" Neatsfoot oil $9.99 for 32oz.