Hey folks, I was considering investing in an airbrush to help with finishing projects and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what models might work well for the kind of work we do? I know zero about airbrushes, so I'm not even sure of what to look for in one? I thought maybe being that it will be used for the work we do that maybe there is something different that I should consider in buying one? I would definitely like something that will be easy to use, reliable, and affordable.

If any of you have some suggestions I would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance!

I have just gone through the same process and following a little research discovered this site http://www.chuckbauman.com/airbrushes-free-airbrush-reviews.htm, where a Chuck Bauman gives his opinion on a few specific makes/models of airbrush. I have followed his advice and ordered one and am awaiting delivery.

I bought the complete kit from Eastwood Co......compressor and all..........works great and not a problem with it........and I bought it 2 years ago but just now playing with it

If you type in something like "what airbrush" in the search, there's lots of stuff available. Here's a sampling.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=46201&hl=%2Bwhat+%2Bairbrush

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=44869&hl=%2Bwhat+%2Bairbrush

To sum it up. Get a Paashce VL and a standard compressor then get to work practicing. I recommend the Harbor Freight models a lot, but they are a cheap alternative - low cost with some occasional problems. If that's all you can afford, make sure you get the deluxe model that's dual action. But, the Paasche sprays better and has parts more readily available at most art stores, including Tandy. I'm pretty sure that first link has a complete list for a setup.

I have just gone through the same process and following a little research discovered this site http://www.chuckbaum...ush-reviews.htm, where a Chuck Bauman gives his opinion on a few specific makes/models of airbrush. I have followed his advice and ordered one and am awaiting delivery.

I bought the complete kit from Eastwood Co......compressor and all..........works great and not a problem with it........and I bought it 2 years ago but just now playing with it

Thanks fellas, I'll definitely checkout that link, look into those models and compare them to some other ones I'm looking at.

If you type in something like "what airbrush" in the search, there's lots of stuff available. Here's a sampling.

http://leatherworker...+what +airbrush

http://leatherworker...+what +airbrush

To sum it up. Get a Paashce VL and a standard compressor then get to work practicing. I recommend the Harbor Freight models a lot, but they are a cheap alternative - low cost with some occasional problems. If that's all you can afford, make sure you get the deluxe model that's dual action. But, the Paasche sprays better and has parts more readily available at most art stores, including Tandy. I'm pretty sure that first link has a complete list for a setup.

Thanks Cyberthrasher. I'll definitely check that one out as well. I try to use the search engine on the site as often as possible, and I this time as well, but nothing outstanding really came up. It could have been the choice of words I used. I try to always make sure to start there before starting new threads for sure.

Northern tool company cheap arse airbrush,$19.99.... works great and got tons of good reviews....I got one or two....I do tanks and deco stuff...workd fine!

lots of Info at "Coast Airbrush" . I prefer the Iwata brand. Not inexpensive though. As mentioned before- get a dual action brush, and filter your air so water doesnt ruin your work. Its another addictive hobby!

I know that Art has talked about the airbrushes from Veda, specifically the WD 180, in a couple of other threads. He had good things to say about them and that he was able to get three of them for less that what he'd have paid for a similar Iwata.

Get the best you can afford, and one that you can get replacement parts for. I have Paasche, and Iwata airbrushes that I have found at thrift stores, and fleamarkets that were in like new condition. 1 new in box Paasche was 99 cents, one with compressor, and tons of extras that was used once was $60, and the Iwata with compressor was $50. I would pass on the Harbor Freight, and other airbrush shaped objects made in China.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I'm going to check these all out tonight and make a decision. I appreciate all of everyone's input!

I bought a Paasche air brush at Hobby Lobby and got a 40% cupon online. It was a $120 and 40% off.

One good deal. Works great.

I bought a Paasche air brush at Hobby Lobby and got a 40% cupon online. It was a $120 and 40% off.

One good deal. Works great.

Just an FYI - they average about $60 - $70 at most online stores, sometimes cheaper. $120 is the MSRP.

Just an FYI - they average about $60 - $70 at most online stores, sometimes cheaper. $120 is the MSRP.

It was a VL set I bought and on line it was the same discount price as I paid.