stef73433

Help Me Formulate Plan B

I have tried 2 times now to cover this swell using the Dusty Johnson no welt/seam design. I just can not get it smooth without buldges. I need to come up with plan B. This is my first saddle, so i am obviously green at this.

What method would you advise i try to keep it as simple but yet nice looking as possible? I was thinking of splitting it and then sewing inside out (i forget what stitch its called) or lacing it. Thoughts? Here's a pic of swells if that helps you guide me.

I appreciate all the replies i get to each and evey post i make, i could not do this without all of your help!

post-36557-0-73589700-1372095368_thumb.j

Well that's a pretty big swell to try and stretch leather over. Even a real stretchy piece.

Have you soaked the belly leather real good?

You could welt it. That might be easier if you know how to do a welt.

You could just do a lace up in the same area, Instead of the welt.

I'm not sure you will be able to get over those swells without cutting it somewhere.

You might if you stretchy piece of leather is big. But you would have to deal with all the slack then.

What we need is a real full time saddle maker to chime in. I make a few, but no where near a professional.

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel

Well, that actaully makes me feel better that you dont think i will get it done.. because i spent hours and hours and hours trying... nailing and pulling nails and moving and renailing and pulling and wanting to scream... i dont think it can be done. So plan b will be one of your ideas! I think i might try lacing it, i like the older rustic appearance it gives.Thanks!

If you don't already have it, I'd suggest you pick up Stohlman's Encyclopedia of Saddle Making Vol. 2. I shows how to make welts, and is a good source for other information. Like Joel mentioned, your swells are quite pronounced, and it would be difficult (as you have noticed) to pull the leather down into the rigging location of the swell without major wrinkles.

Ron

I do have all 3 of the Stohlman books, so good to go!! I have decided to try lacing the swells

hum,

i would vote for welt or lacing....

reminds me of the Legcut bowman i had ......Keith Siedel told me it was "possible" to cover it without welt or lacing (see one of his legcut bowman covered without welt)

I can tell you = i tried , failed and gone at last for the welt.....

i guess you can do it if your piece of leather is really really really stretchy .....and even though....not sure it would do

Good luck ;)

and do not forget :

If Plan "A" did not work....the alphabet has 25 more letters ...so stay cool"

:D

Edited by Aurelie

hum,

i would vote for welt or lacing....

reminds me of the Legcut bowman i had ......Keith Siedel told me it was "possible" to cover it without welt or lacing (see one of his legcut bowman covered without welt)

I can tell you = i tried , failed and gone at last for the welt.....

i guess you can do it if your piece of leather is really really really stretchy .....and even though....not sure it would do

Good luck ;)

and do not forget :

If Plan "A" did not work....the alphabet has 25 more letters ...so stay cool"

:D

Thanks for response!!! I opted for plan L- laced welts!!!!!!