LewSchiller

How Do I Make A 1" Hole?

Seeking advice to find the best way to achieve a 1" hole in 6-8 oz leather.

I can't seem to find a hammer driven pnch that large.

Is 1" too large for a manual punch?

Any help appreciated!

http://www.toolexperts.com/hole-punch-set-leather-sheet-metal-gasket.html?gclid=CMP1uc2ZqLoCFSgSMwodO3AAdg

This just one that comes up in a search. There are a bunch of em out there.

There are a lot of punch sets like that one - I just don't know if they'll work well on leather of that thickness.

Hoping to hear from somebody who has tried them :-)

Depending on how precise you have to have that one inch hole, . . .

I have made a number of tools and punches out of electrical contuit (in the trade it's called EMT, . . . Electro Metallic Tubing).

That 1 inch EMT if cut off to a piece about 9 inches long, . . . taken to a sander, . . . and the outside edge laid up against the sander, . . . so a sharpened edge is created on the interior edge, . . . you will have wonderful punch that is very close to 1 inch in diameter.

You DO NOT whack it to make the hole, . . . you tap, tap, tap it around the top edge, . . . holding the punch firmly down on the leather.

You can do the same for 1/2, 3/4, 1 1/4, 1 1/2, and 2 inch.

Just be careful and not burn the edge as you sharpen it, . . . that will seriously weaken that section of the edge, . . . and it will become very dull, . . . very quick. Some folks who have seen these punches of mine complain that you have to sharpen them more than the "professional" ones, . . . but when your punch costs fifty cents instead of 75 dollars, . . . yeah, . . . I can sharpen it a bit more often.

May God bless,

Dwight

Pretty sure I have a 1" round arch punch for sale. Price on it would be $20 plus shipping.

Hadn't thought of sharpening conduit but I can see how that could work.

I've sent Bruce a PM...if I can get a single 1" I'll take it. I don't need a whole set :-)

Mechanic sockets of the right size would make great punches as these are already hardened. Just be careful not to overheat thereby destroying the temper. I actually plan on making some of these on the lathe once I'm back on my feet. Now that I think of it i could make some to sell very very cheap. Especially the bigger sizes that would normally cost a fortune.

OR you could buy a one inch punch from Osborn whack it with a three pound maul and be done with it.