GampasShop

Leather Working Magazine??

Got to thinking the other day. Out of all my hobbies (Hunting, fishing, ATVing, woodworking, Leatherworking), why is it there isn't a monthly or bimonthly magazine for leatherworking. Just thought it was kinda odd that I have not seen a magazine for us leatherworkers.

Now the big question.

Why??

I agree- and there is definitely a lot of interest. Look at all of the views already!

It wouldn't have to be big. Just lot's of tips, close-ups of techniques, and patterns. Limit the advertising to almost nothing and charge to get it. Limit the articles and "stuff" that I never read after waiting 2 mos for the Leathercrafters Journal. Good magazine and I await each issue but I never get enough practical stuff each issue.

sign me up

pete

They are out there. Shop Talk and The Leather Crafter's and Saddler's Journal. Shop Talk is monthly and The "Journal" is Bi-monthly.

Would it be difficult to have some sort of similar journal here, edited into a pdf and released for download perhaps even quarterly to begin with.

I am personally very familiar with quark express and photoshop.

I could edit a lot of it together, Though I would take artistic license with the layout and stuff.

Theres already enough people in here making tutorials by themselves, wouldn't be such a big deal to put it all together.

And if I may suggest a few things about it...

Braiding section - Break down of a new knot or button to learn.

Weekend project - Best selected article on something to make over the weekend whether braiding, tooling or molding etc...

Tool of the month type thing - Working strategically into tooling from the first tool you should buy to Z metaphorically...

Ancient influence - Images and articles of old saddles, bag, whips etc

Question time - Questions answered by the pro's...obvious enough

Tips and tricks section - People reviewing their own work, like a tutorial but listing all the things they learned from the experience and challenges they had to overcome etc...

Web resources - List of useful websites and suppliers by location etc

Way to go about it...Select a Moderator for each element, open a new room, and have one thread per release on articles, tutorials up for choosing bla bla bla, I am sure you get the drift...

At the moment I have no job so undertaking such an editorial position might do me the world of good and kick start a new career, *S*.

So who would like to see this?

perfect!!!!!!

pete

This is not meant as negative criticism, just a comment. It seems that we already have all of this. The front page, I think, even has links to certain tutorials. The way it works now seems more spontaneous, and posts are contributed in the process of doing other things -- breaks, working through ideas, brainstorming, procrastination preparatory to work. It is also helpful when people look for valuable old information and bring past posts current for continued exposure. There's something nice about being forced to search through old posts and being confronted by unexpected but useful information. It all works because it doesn't feel like work. Maybe there could be a special list for all those threads that have proved extremely informative and or popular.

Some of the ideas below could be promoted as special threads, similar to the monthly challenge.

My two cents.

ed

Would it be difficult to have some sort of similar journal here, edited into a pdf and released for download perhaps even quarterly to begin with.

I could edit a lot of it together, Though I would take artistic license with the layout and stuff.

Theres already enough people in here making tutorials by themselves, wouldn't be such a big deal to put it all together.

Weekend project - Best selected article on something to make over the weekend whether braiding, tooling or molding etc...

Tool of the month type thing - Working strategically into tooling from the first tool you should buy to Z metaphorically...

Tips and tricks section - People reviewing their own work, like a tutorial but listing all the things they learned from the experience and challenges they had to overcome etc...

Way to go about it...Select a Moderator for each element, open a new room, and have one thread per release on articles, tutorials up for choosing bla bla bla, I am sure you get the drift...

At the moment I have no job so undertaking such an editorial position might do me the world of good and kick start a new career, *S*.

Somebody let Taunton Press know about it, then I could have Fine Leatherworking to go along with my Fine Woodworking and Fine Home Building magazines. I better get busy and make some more book cases as they are all full to overflowing as it is. :thumbsup:

I dont think I have ever seen the ones that Elton listed on any magazine rack that I can remember. I sure wasnt aware of any magazine that dealt with our passion.

You get to thinking about it there are tons of hunting, fishing and such on the racks all the time. I know in the woodworking, there is one that I really like called "WoodSmith" and its companion "Shop Notes". The woodsmith one has a section for tips and then has plans for building a couple of different projects in it. I think something like this in the leather hobby would be a great idea.

From what I know about it, which is very little, publishing at a commercial level is very expensive and very risky, for every magazine you see at places like B&N there are probably 10 that failed right away and many more that fade away within a year or two. An example would be the recent custom cycle builders magazine Chopper Build, only lasted about a year. You would think that there is enough cycle enthusiasts out there to make it viable but advertising dollars are maybe more important than readers/subscribers. Even the ones that have been around for years have had a roller coaster ride.

I dont think I have ever seen the ones that Elton listed on any magazine rack that I can remember. I sure wasnt aware of any magazine that dealt with our passion.

You get to thinking about it there are tons of hunting, fishing and such on the racks all the time. I know in the woodworking, there is one that I really like called "WoodSmith" and its companion "Shop Notes". The woodsmith one has a section for tips and then has plans for building a couple of different projects in it. I think something like this in the leather hobby would be a great idea.

Here's a link to the LCSJ website so you can order a subscription:

http://www.leathercraftersjournal.com/

I have never heard of the other mag, either. The hits I got with Google for Shop Talk were all for things other than leather, unless I missed something.

Hilly

Is there any reason that you couldn't do a first edition and post it here? I'de LOVE to be able to click on 1 place a month and get new ideas and patterns, etc.

pete

Has everyone forgotten the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

I used to belong to a Harley Owners Group Chapter and we published a monthly newsletter. So in addition to the Editor, we had to have authors for any of the topics we wanted to include in the newsletter. Pete listed around 7 topic ares, that means seven people to come up with and author material for each of those areas. Then someone has to pull the all together and, oh by the way, actually proof read the material to make sure that spell checking used the correct two,to,too. Then, if you want to add photos, some one or every author has to be comfortable using a camera. This is starting to get complicated. Then, if we want to use material from other sources, we will need a legal department to verify copywrite issues.

I, for one, find this forum to provide all of the things that Pete brought up without the complications. Although I do subscribe to LCSJ, I find that this supplements it very nicely.

So my recommendation is KISS.

BillB

Well said, Bill.

Although I think a lot of us would like to see more comprehensive treatment of some subjects. We have been exploring the development of a wiki-based knowledge base engine that we think will fill that need, without adding too much complication to the administration of it. Stay tuned...

Kate

The PLAC puts out a great newsletter.

PSLAC (Puget Sound Leather Artisans Co-Op) monthly newsletter is The RawHide Gazette found at http://www.pslac.org or just go to the bottom of this page and click on the graphic "RawHide Gazette".

Bob Stelmack

Editor, RawHide Gazette

www.pslac.org