RoosterShooter

Snap Tools. What Do You Use?

I've been on a never ending search for a snap setting tool for the past several weeks, and it has left me scratching my head and more confused than when I started. :dunno:

For the record, I only have the cheap anvil set that many leather supply companies carry, and I am not happy with the results. More often than not the anvil set creates different results every time, and I'm looking for the 'perfect' snap tool.

What are your suggestions, and what do you use? I'm not worried about the cost as I do a small volume of leatherwork as a hobby and would be able to justify the cost over time.

Thanks

For the line 24 snaps I would suggest the Press-n-Snap tool.

I use a Tandy press, sets them right every time.

If you want a simpler one that works very well, Barry King sells one that is not that expensive.

Press n Snap. Awesome. I goofed around with an arbor press and setting tools, the press n snap is way better, perfect crimps every time. Got mine from Rochford supply I believe for $116 with dies. You can file a flat on thr socket die and do both pull the spot type and regular type. Its an investment but a big time saver, just wish I'd have gotten mine sooner and not wasted all the time with the arbor press.

Careful, I have a press n snap tool... It's awesome, but three months ago it broke my finger! Seriously! I love it but it needs modification.

I now call it the "break-n-snap", since it snapped the end of my fingertip bone on my middle finger like it was a piece of chalk. Terrible analogy, I know.

Lately the tool won't completely press the lower snaps onto leather, the parts it the flat bottom that you don't see on your leather item, not the nice domed cap side. I always have to take a snap setting tool and hammer the bottom snap so it sets tight otherwise it's not completely set at all.

So, I have to press really hard and even lean on the tool with my body to try to get extra strength into my press action. So I sit the tool on my bench, mouth part up, holding the top end with my left hand, the squeeze handle with my right and I'm leaning into it but it still won't press the darn bottom snap. So, as I let go do the top of the tool with my left hand to reach around and loosen up the tensions he tool wasn't balanced well in my right hand with me leaning into it and I was still pressing down hard, and suddenly the day ended as it flipped to the right to lay flat down, rather quickly, SLAM! Somehow my middle finger ended up in the way, well actually the first three fingers, but the middle one was the target. The next two months were very painful, but I did get to show everyone my finger cast on my middle finger, that was fun!

I now have a homemade stand for the tool, still have to hold it but I swear that baby isn't going anywhere. It can be lifted out if needed and it's far better than the stand they sell. I'm going now to take a few pics of it and post it right away. Easy to make and a finder saver for sure!

I still can't get those bottom snaps to seat properly.

I use a Tandy press, sets them right every time.

If you want a simpler one that works very well, Barry King sells one that is not that expensive.

X2, I have used it for years, I use it on line 20, 24, rivets, just about anything, it is a little pricey when you add in the dies, but it never fails, sets perfect every time.

One of the few tools Tandy makes that does a great job right out of the box.

Chief

if you use the press-n-snap correctly, it doesn't break any bones. i've been using one for years and it works fine and i haven't come anywhere even close to breaking anything. my snaps are set correctly and look great.

I know I wasn't using it correctly, it's I said, it's an awesome tool and I do highly recommend it. Just don't hold it weird and lean your body into it like I did to get more leverage.

Here's my holder...

post-49836-0-64743400-1398699511_thumb.j

post-49836-0-11652900-1398699539_thumb.j

post-49836-0-83072100-1398699562_thumb.j

post-49836-0-56802600-1398699581_thumb.j

post-49836-0-45035800-1398699605_thumb.j

post-49836-0-87866700-1398699625_thumb.j

if you cannot get the bottom snaps to seat correctly, it sounds like you still may not be using it right.

anyway, for those that cannot or don't want to build their own stand, they actually sell one where you can mount it on your workbench.

the way i've found that works best to use it is to get the dies on there, put on the snap parts (on the dies)...after punching the hole for the base snap, put the stem through it...then with the screw unscrewed so that there's only a little travel available, press. That should begin to seat it. after that, without allowing the jaws to open, adjust the screw so the jaws need more force to close, then close it again. repeat until the snap is properly seated. usually takes me about 2-3 times of doing this and then it's set very nicely....nice, rolled-over stem...no splits, etc.

you need big boy/big girl (e.g. STRONG) hands to use this thing so if you don't have strong hands, seek assistance from those that do. :)

LTC your advice on how to use it was awesome! I never considered doing it that way. Thank you.

I don't have big girl hands or big girl strength to squeeze it, which is why I was leaning over it when I broke my finger. Totally all my fault, I know. I love the stand I made, it works great.

So, I'm having the same issues with my double capped rivets and my domed stud rivets. They seem to appear well attached but if I go to wiggle them they seem snug and then there are a few that make a noise as they slightly move. Then I pound them again with the concave setter tool and the anvil, and sometimes I end up hammering too much to get them set and mark the 8 oz. leather with a slight mark from the setter tool. Very disappointing. I'm thinking it's my strength and I know I need a machine to do this. I'm good at using a mallet for tooling, but this rivet and dome setting is another thing. Perhaps my fear of whacking my hand prevents me from using more strength, I don't know.

There are a few rivet setter machines out there, and they seem to me to nice, but I'm not sure which direction to head on this. The ones I like cost hundreds and hundred of dollars and I wonder how efficient the less expensive ones are. I've read the archives on here but not sure which way to go with this.

Advice appreciated.

Gold Star Tool has a nice one that isn't a whole lot of money, used it on line 20 snaps and 10mm double cap rivets so far an haven't had a single issue. plan to buy several more die sets when i get a little side money.

LTC your advice on how to use it was awesome! I never considered doing it that way. Thank you.

oh good...i'm glad it makes sense and hope it helps you be able to set your snaps well...and safely. :) it takes a little to get the hang of it, but once you do, they will all look really nice and set correctly...

Edited by LTC

FYI: the tandy press is on sale for about 1/2 price until end of month $100. my local store Nashville, doesn't have any but will honor price when it does show comes in stock.

I have a 1/2 ton arbor press that I bought in a garage sale for $10 bucks that had a home made line 20 snap die in it. If you use the right length for the leather thickness, it does the job perfectly. I set line 20 snaps in thin leather a lot and need to make grind jig to get the female rivet the right length. Right now I am just adding a extra thickness of leather and it sets it fine. -- Tex