Constabulary

Big Name Sewing Machines - Chinese Nutchells Or Us Made

First of all I don´t want to offend any of the distributors or dealers of the known brands but I wonder if any of the "big name brands" are still made in the US or are they all typical Chinese made nutshells?

I always see servo motors + sewing machines + speed reducers that all look the same, some are consew, some are enduro some are not branded. They finally look all the same. Housing may have a different colors but finally they look all the same.

A few weeks ago I even did not know that Adler produces sewing machines in the Czech republic and the more I read about sewing machines the more I wonder where they come from. Consew - still made in Japan or in China?

So I wonder whats the deal with all that stuff. Is there nowadays still a company that produces their own sewing machines in the US? I mean Singer is dead as it seems or do they still produce industrial machines in the US? I don´t think so.

Whats the deal with Cobra, Cowboy, Techsew - still US made or made in China with just a different name on?

I do not question the quality at all, but I just begin to wonder.

Maybe someone can broaden my mind.

Again - I don´t what to offend anybody!!!

The Campbell Lockstitch, Union Lockstitch and Puritan chainstitch machines are entirely built in the USA and are currently available for purchase.

Why would people question the quality of China over US quality? I'll be some of us may even be posting from an Apple iPad or iPhone. Oh, yeah, also made in China.

The big difference today is that when we are accustomed to buying products from Germany, Japan, the United States, you were always getting A+ or A quality products; China offers quality levels at different price points in A+, A, B, C quality and beyond.

And I guess the question is are there factories in China that produce good quality sewing machines? I would say yes, for sure.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Most of the boys talking about these machines say good things about them and those who service them. Still, you have to admit there's some irony to a guy who uses an machine that's imported and then advertises that you should buy handmade and American. In the end, though, a good stitch is a good stitch.

I guess China is getting beat up much the same as Japan was in the '50's. But, like anything, there are different levels of quality at different prices, no matter where they are made. If they are made to a specification and meet that spec (emphasis on meeting the spec), then it doesn't matter who makes them. Problem is their labor is so much less costly than here in the states, for example, it is hard for US mfg's to compete without some "made in ____" components.

In the sewing industry, I have noticed what the OP states is very true, especially in the "home" market; many machines are identical, mechanically, with a different label on them. With the programable machines, there are different capabilities based strictly on the software, same machine, different software. Embroidery machines are an example. There are a couple of manufacturers that build for most other companies and label accordingly. For the strictly mechanical machines, like portable blind stitchers for example, the machines that look the same between manufacturers, are the same. One company may offer better service and support, so you have to weigh that in the cost of the machine.

Just my $.025

It is expensive to get a quality product at the end if you can save a few thousand which one would you buy?

God Bless!

Ralph Garcia

Edited by RoyalLeatherDesigns

As far as Chinese made goods go, If they are asked to make something good, they can do it, but usually they are asked to make things as cheaply as possible, so therefore quality suffers, and so does their reputation.

It's a shame that they are willing to make sub-standard goods in order to make a profit. The same situation exists with things made in India and Pakistan. Back when I was a pup, the stuff from Japan had the same reputation, but no longer. If the companies that order the things insist on top quality, then that is what the Chinese can produce. The price will still be lower because of lower labor cost, but not rock bottom. Unfortunately because of all this there are a lot of tools and equipment of inferior quality from China being sold. You have to know what you are buying !! Most 441 clones are an example of what can be had from China. The dealers that advertise here sell a quality product, but there may be some lesser quality machines sold elsewhere, that look similar.

Again - I have NOT questioned the quality and I don´t want to buy a new machine (but probably a new motor sooner or later). I generally have no problems with buying items from China. But the motor thing just confuses me a little bit, but It was just a question which is now answered - nothing more nothing less.

You can be an American with a great idea for a product and have it built here or outside the US (Mexico, India, China . . .). It is up to the business owner to ensure the quality they want to sell. The business owner is in charge. There is another thread in one of these forums where the speed reducer's race was not ground properly. This is a failure of manufacturing and quality control (it was a Chinese part). Harley Davidson, an American company, is built with Japanese and Chinese parts with the quality standards they want. Its all about the bucks. If the product can be built cheaper with the targeted quality and people want to buy it . . . . that is $.

I have been studying Consew sewing machines and called Consew directly and spoke to them. I was told that Consew parts and pieces to the head are made in Korea and Japan. They are then assembled in China due to the labor cost.

I did not specifically ask them about their motors but I have had a couple of dealers tell me they are Chinese made. By the way, I have several Powermatic woodworking machines and the motors were made in Taiwan and they seem to be quite satisfactory.