jpless77

Beveling Troubles

Hello all. I'm having some issues with beveling the inner and outter scallops of smaller flowers and leaves. I currently use a handful of craftool checkerd bevelers and I find the smaller bevellers leave tool marks. I've been slowly purchasing some King tools but I guess I'll have to get bevelers also (at least smaller ones). Anyhow, is it necessary to bevel the outter edges of flowers, or can I just bevel the petal over-laps toward the center and barground the outside? I hope someone understands this giberish! Thanks in advance, it's appreciated.

is it necessary to bevel the outter edges of flowers, or can I just bevel the petal over-laps

It is not "necessary" (nothing is). But if you do not, there will be a loss of depth in the carving.

I've found that, if the cut is right, you give up no depth but you do lose the darkened tooled area of the beveler.

Hello all. I'm having some issues with beveling the inner and outter scallops of smaller flowers and leaves. I currently use a handful of craftool checkerd bevelers and I find the smaller bevellers leave tool marks.

If the smaller bevelers are leaving marks tap the tools lighter. You have a lot less surface area on the face of the tool to distribute the force from the maul, mallet, shoe..whatever you are using. I have some of Barry's and Clay Millers smaller bevelers and they can be a pain to bevel with due to how they react to even small changes in force from the maul.

Just keep practicing and asking questions and you'll get it down

Horn

The undershot or undercut beveller, also called a lifter, was made to solve just this sort of problem. They are rounded to go into the inside curves and lift the petal, but they also bevel that area at the same time. I then use my small beveler to bevel the outer curve. It makes the whole process much easier. I have Barry King Lifters in a couple of sizes and they work well for me.

Horn is also right about the smaller tools taking a lot more finesse to keep them from leaving tracks. As he says, those take practice to run well, but if you can switch to a lighter maul when using them.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Another tip that might help, with walking small width be bevelers, really focus on keeping the tool a hair above the leather and let your fingers give some spring action as you hit it.

Chuck

Barry King also makes a concave crowner that works well on small flower petals. As Bob Blea mentioned, a lifter works well on the inside curve. After cutting in the inside and outside curves with these two tools, you can come back with your checkered bevelers to achieve the affect that you're looking for.

If you are getting tooling marks from your bevelers (as staed small ones can be a pain). Check to make sure your leather is properly cased and not to wet.If you still get marks go back over the beveled are with modeling spoon it should smooth things out nicely.