Sluggo001

Contact Cement The Culprit?

So far, I've made two items. A card case and a sheath. Both of them have places where the finish (Eco flow) would not penetrate. At first I thought it was wax from the thread. The second time I finished before I sewed, so that wasn't it. I'm assuming it's a thin layer of contact cement on the surface that I couldn't see. Is there something I could use to clean my projects before finishing?

Contact cement on leather is kinda like your first kiss, . . . once it is done, . . . it is done.

You just pretty much have to cut it off, . . . thereby probably ruining the project. Just learn to be a bit more careful with it.

I have developed an "eye" for applying it that will not let me get all the way out to the very edge if there is a possibility of it showing. That of course prevents any problem with dyeing.

Sorry I didn't have a better answer, . . . but it's just one of those things.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'll use denatured alcohol to clean leather, for contact cement you can get a glue eraser from Springfield Leather and then go over it with alcohol before applying neatsfoot oil, letting it sit overnight and then apply the dye.

If the cement is on the edge it can be sanded off.

Unfortunately, it was dead center in the tooling on my last project. I must have gotten cement on the work surface and flipped it over. I will be more careful next time. I was applying it with small cheap paint brushes out of the can. I think I'm going to try using it out of a squeeze bottle.

It happens

I love when I get it on the side of my hand or thumb and then proceed to blot glue all over the project and tools and bench...

I think there is a thread titled "spaz with glue" somewhere on here

I was edgekoting the edge of a piece of leather and had an oh..........moment. I hastily looked for a rag, but alas, too late. I picked a large eraser Deb had given me and it removed the stuff. And the eraser works on glue.

http://shop.mackite.com/eraser-for-really-big-mistakes/

To a point you can use denatured alcohol or Naptha. That WILL also effect how the leather takes dye in that area. I have also taken a box blade and carefully scraped it off the surface for small spots. This will also effect how the dye takes.