Leather by LOU

Anyone Familiar With This School? "accademia Riaci" Based In Florence, Italy

Curious if anyone here is familiar with this school I have been reading about. Below is a link to the program. It is based in Florence, Italy and has several year long programs in shoe making and bag making. 2 of which really appeal to me. While tuition is quite steep and most likely not the wisest investment in time and money I am considering it in regards to a big life change and find more value in the location than necessarily what I will take away. Either way I have been told by admissions that my prior experience and works would make me eligible for the master course which eliminates another 1 year prerequisite.

Part of the reason I would like to study in Italy is because this program includes tours of tanneries, and manufacturing plants. Along with a "corporate research" program that allows the student to work with a major bag manufacturer to develop a design for production. You can read much more information at the link below. The program seems quite in depth and short of the cost seems like something i want every part of.

Thanks in advance for any information regarding this school. I am also interested in other foreign options of leather school regarding complex construction of either apparel or bags and shoes.

http://www.accademiariaci.info/academics/leather-working/

I am sitting eating my lunch reading a National Geographic Traveller magazine Feb/Mar 2014. In it there is an article called "Made in Italy" that highlights areas and handmade products and artisans. I immediately thought of leather Lou.

The article mentions this leather school

scuoladelcuoio.com

I do leather work for a hobby. I could not support my family or hobbies by quitting my profession.

One of my bucket list dreams is to take my wife to Italy, let her do the cooking schools that she wants and I tour leather facilities or do a course.

You have an amazing opportunity and would come back with a life's worth of experience. I have met artists from Florence and they are amazing people....tangoing, painting, woodworkers living in Maui

Just, can you afford it financially OR can you afford to not take the risk and follow a dream.

Best of luck, keep us informed of what happens

Ps if you want the magazine let me know

Scott

At this point it is my dream! I've recently had to define those dreams after a life changing decision was made for me by my ex-fiance now. I know you're right! I can't afford not to take this opportunity! Its really a scary time in my life. I don't want to let go of what I've built to this point but that was all with a woman that doesn't want that any longer. So its scary to work in this direction to realize the permanency of the most difficult thing I've faced to date. Thank you kindly for your support. The words you composed have meaning to me. This opportunity might not have come had other things not happened in the first place. Some of those things are just out of our control. The way you compared being able to afford to NOT take the risk truly strikes a note with me. Thank you for taking the time to send this message.

And I'd love to read that article... to make it easy if you have a scanner you could just email it to me. :) lousfineleather@gmail.com

Sorry to hear that Lou, I will scan it and forward to your e mail

I hear Italian women can be rather attractive, outgoing and fun. Maybe a good place to start for a whole new life!

Harder to change much when you are an old fart with two kids, wife and a dog.....not that I want to change anything, love them all

S

Cheers WScott! I got some news from the Acedemia Riaci in Italy today!!!! They awarded me a $2700 scholarship! Still a long ways uphill but I'd never be upset with myself for trying! Thanks for sending that article too. Its awesome what a camera can capture anymore. I use mine instead of a scanner all the time too. :)

Anthony, congrats. Very nice work.

Here is a school in the USA that looks very interesting.

Might have heard of it. ANyway here is the link.

http://www.amblardleatheratelier.com/index.html

Good luck

PS I miss Portland

Joey

Cheers Joeyrsmith! Thanks for the link! looks interesting for sure! A good possible option if I can't raise the loot in time for Accedemia Riaci

At this point it is my dream! I've recently had to define those dreams after a life changing decision was made for me by my ex-fiance now.

I read this earlier this morning when I got up and put a good amount of thought into the school, scenario and circumstances.

I know some stranger's opinion probably isn't worth a ton, but sometimes they can help.

I too was at one point very much in love and engaged to a girl who sank me like the Lusitania. It's awful and feels horrible - feels worse than someone dying because they are gone, but still around.

Doing new things afterward is an excellent way to keep your mind off things, but the thing I never counted on was that the one thing you take with you, no matter where you go to get away and try new things, are your problems.

I'm not sure my rationale will really set in, but perhaps maybe before you go to this (seemingly VERY expensive judging by the prices on the website - how much is the masters class anyhow?) you should (if you haven't - and don't take this condesendingly) sort your own issues out first.

If you're going to do a course like this, you're going to want to be as mentally and physically and fiscally prepared as you can be, rather than haphazardly selling off equipment (really nice sewing machine btw) to just scrap by. You're going to have access to awesome workshops - wouldn't you rather be able to afford to spend your extra time with teachers and students rather than try to get a job on the side while your there?

I'm really sorry about the relationship man - it's so hard, and I hope you've got a good group of friends up there in Portland that you can lean on.

That's my two cents, for whatever it's worth.

-Seth

I appreciate what you're saying and it does apply. I have made some positive moves and have decided sell everything off anyways regardless of school. I don't want to rebuild with what's left. You see I built it all for her. I don't know that I as a singular unit wants or cares about any of those things if they are not to share. I look at this opportunity regardless how unlikely as a means to reach fir my dreams. The things I would do for myself. Not for her. I can appreciate that this seems "haphazardly" but I assure you this is a means to an end. That end being positive in both ways. A cleansing purge of the past and a possible new beg coming studying something I know is my passion.

The masters program is $22,000 which is not far off of most art schools. It is a year long course. The second semester I am elligable to apply to be the "course reporter" which would save another $10,000 off of final tuition price. That and my $2700 scholarship would make it unrealistic not to attend. If I was to spend a year in Italy studying I would not want to leave anything in storage because I would not want to be held down in the face of opportunity. 3-8 graduates stays in Italy for internship or continued school for a second year.

I appreciate healthy reservations and I appreciate most that you took the time to look into the school at least a little bit before nay saying. That is a very easy route for people who have never taken a chance. I figure at 34 years old with no children and no one to answer to the only one I would be upset with for not trying everything possible to make it happen would be myself. I only have to live with myself now. Thank you for your input to is acknowledged.

Sounds like you have your head in the right space.

New chapter in a new life with an opportunity to start over in a new country. No ties to hold you down, thank goodness no kids to worry about.

The more you describe this opportunity, the better it sounds to me. God I like to think I would have the guts to do it if I were in your shoes; maybe why your posts struck a chord with me. So at least let me live vicariously and post tons of photos,updates and info while you are there, love to tag along.

Best of luck, Scott

ps, I would start pounding learning the Italian language

Edited by WScott

Tony,

Please show up next Saturday at Tandy for leather day. Hanging out with other leather minded people would be a good diversion.

I wrote you a letter of recomendation (not sure if it is still needed or to late) if you want it for school.

I want your skiver if you are selling it.

Aaron

I wish you the best of luck man! I checked out that school and it sounds pretty awesome. I'm active duty military and I'm going to look into seeing if they GI bill will cover it. Sounds awesome! I wish you the absolute best.

Funding is rising slowly

Hope you are doing ok

Even a small donation helps this leatherworker

Whatever happened to Leather by Lou? Did you go to school?

Edited by thefanninator

I saw this thread..was intrigued by it..did a little research..found this..

https://theleathercrafter.wordpress.com/2015/03/08/in-depth-review-accademia-riaci-firenze-bag-making-course/

Interesting, thanks for posting!

Unfortunately no real message to the main question of "was it worth while" and did he then use these new skills, Basic design is easy to teach, but good design unfortunately often needs flair which you cannot teach