Has anyone tried Moore & Giles for leather? Most of their leather is chrome tan. And I'm sure that it's pricey, but probably no more expensive that what some other suppliers charge. They are located in Virginia. I'm curious because their website is impressive, but I can't find any mention of them on this site. I have included their URL. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

https://www.mooreandgiles.com/leather/

Great! Please post your impressions if you order anything or talk with them. Thanks.

I received the catalog, and the products look nice - but only consumer goods. I guess I will try to contact them directly.

I too received the catalog with nothing but finished goods they sell.

I received an e-mail from them giving some info on the leather they sell.

Beautiful colors and finishes from the photos. Prices start at $5.00 per foot and move up from there.

Minimum is a full hide averaging 50 to 55 sq ft.

Most of their leather is 1.0mm to 1.2mm although they have some 1.8mm. All of their leathers are tanned with upholstery or wall panels in mind. That does not mean you cannot use it for other items. Leather from Asia and Italy, may be some other countries also, I didn't double check.

This is a copy of actual response I received when I inquired about pricing and minimums'

Thank you for your interest in Moore and Giles Leather. We have a vast

variety of leathers and pricing will depend upon the leather. We have

many of the leathers in our warehouse and can normally ship 2-3 days

after receiving your order.

Can you advise where you are located and if you are hospitality or high

end residential and I can connect you with a sales person.

I hate sales people for many reasons, one being the fact I have been in business since I was 18 years old, I am now 80.

I seldom give companies my phone or address until I know exactly what and who I am dealing with. Don't need any more trash.

Just thought some of you might like to know.

ferg

Thanks for the information Matt and Ferg! I had high hopes for this company as an alternative to the Hide House and the Tannery, but the information does not sound promising. Let us know if you hear anything different Matt.

Matt,

You will be asked for your address and phone number so a salesman can contact you.

If you do not wish to do that I would simply e-mail them.

ferg

I have been in contact with them as well. I was emailed forms to set up an account and they will send samples of what ever I would like. They said they have a couple veg tan leather in the 5/6oz range. I will be looking into it further....

I can get leather from Moore & Giles and have many of their samples.

Their leather is some of the best quality I've come across, by far. Horween quality and beyond. But their prices are not starting at $5 a sqft. I think the poster above maybe misunderstood speaking with the rep or something cause all of their products are in the $16-20+ / sqft. This stuff is not anything like what you will find in Tandy or Springfeild. It is what the major bag makers and furniture makers use on their products that cost thousands.

Let me put it this way, their leather sells a product. It is that good. Anyway, unfortunately they only sell by the whole hide (50+ sqft), but if enough people are interested I would be happy to facilitate a group buy.

I'm sure I can find a hide that a lot of people would be interested in using for their projects. I'll start another thread with the group buy poll and see if any biters.

Arocco, are you affiliated with them in some way? I received some sample swatches from them and they were really nothing special - I certainly wouldn't be paying those prices

Arocco, are you affiliated with them in some way? I received some sample swatches from them and they were really nothing special - I certainly wouldn't be paying those prices

I am not affiliated with them in any way. I just happen to have an account. I know my post count is low and so my opinion might seem suspect. I have a leather businesses making watch straps, wallets, etc.

Their collection does consist of over a hundred of swatches. More than half of it I wouldn't pay their prices for and is too thin for me anyway, but they do have some leathers that I believe are worth the prices. Couple of high quality pieces that they have that I've yet to have found elsewhere:

https://www.mooreandgiles.com/leather/shop/ragtime/

https://www.mooreandgiles.com/leather/shop/veneer/

https://www.mooreandgiles.com/leather/shop/seville/

If you know of somewhere where they tan leather like these, please do tell.