steelhawk

Looking For A Better Knife

For the last several years I have been using a Stanley utility knife to cut my holsters out. It works OK, but needs to be stropped frequently.

Now, arthritis in my hands is giving me some problems so I am looking for something easier to cut the 7/8 oz Hermann Oak leather I use.

I bought a round knife from Tandy Leather, the Al Stolhman brand, but I can't get that thing sharp no matter what I do, and it scares me.

Any help is appreciated.

My Osbourne round knife gets scary sharp in a hurry. I don't have any problems sharpening it. Actually, I rarely sharpen it on a stone. I mostly just strop it really well and get to work. I got the #70 from Springfield, but I'm thinking about picking up the #71 hoping it does tighter turns better. I find it much easier to push the knife than pull the utility knife. You don't seem to need as much grip strength IMO.

However, there is a bit of a learning curve to using one. And I wear a fillet glove on my off hand when using it. Better than a box of bandaids! I did actually cut myself through it the other day, but not nearly as bad as it would have been without it. I'll even wear the glove if I have a lot of edging to do. Helps me grip the leather a bit and keeps me from gouging my hand if the edger slips.

I have had several brands of round knives over the years. Always looking for the best one for cutting HO leather. That is some of the toughest stuff to cut out there but I love the way it tools and molds for what I do. I would like to reccomend a custom knife maker, Robb Gray from Seattle Wa. I bought one of his knives at the Denver IFLoG show last year and have since bought another one. They are in the 175.00 price range but well worth the investment. He has a web site, www.graycloud-designs.com I still have several CSO knives but do 90% of my cutting with my new knifes.

Randy

Check out Terry Knipschield at http://www.knipknives.com/contact.php

Fantastic Knives at a reasonable price. I've got 3 of his now and am extremely happy.

They come very, very sharp and ready to go.

Cheers

Zip

Not sure what thickness limits there are, but I think some people use Leather shears/scissors to cut out some of their work. I imagine 7-8 oz would be tough with some shears/scissors though, but I could be wrong........Rory

Don't know if you've tried hooked blades in your utility knife or not, but they've worked very well for me. I started using them after getting some Herman Oak leather due to the difficulty of cutting it and it helped me out a lot. It's something inexpensive to try if you haven't already. The link below is the style I'm talking about.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-5-Heavy-Duty-Hook-Utility-Knife-Blades-RWK16V/204156401

Thanks for the help. I'll look at the knives suggested and also pick up a pack of hooked blades and try them out.

I bought a heavy duty pair of scissors from tandy, they were about 40 dollars 8 years ago. Mine cut 12 to 14 oz skirting like butter. not any good for inside curves but really easy on your hands

Erwin makes a bi-metal utility knife blade that they say lasts three times as long as regular blades. I have been using these blades for years and they definately out perform the regular blades. Kobalt (Lowes brand of tools) has a curved blade that looks like an electrician's knife blade. I am going to pick up some of these to try out next time I'm around a Lowes store. Don't have a local store so it may be awhile.