olds cool

Fresh Off The Bench 1911

I'm usually super critical of my own work so I've never shared one of my finished pieces on here before. I just finished these up tonight and I was so happy with the way the holster came out I just had to show it off a bit, even if it is just plain black. All hand stitched and double stitched on both sides of the shooter. A little different from my norm but it really makes it pop for a black on black piece. The black was done with vinagroon...I've really been into the roon lately. Holster pattern from Eric Adams (gotta give credit). I like doing my own patterns but these ones work so well and it's what the customer wanted. The mag pouch is the first run on my own pattern. Came out pretty good but I think I have a few tweaks in mind for next time around. Let me know what you all think. I respect all of your opinions and constructive critiques.

post-12447-0-17328100-1393388317_thumb.j

post-12447-0-15235800-1393388320_thumb.j

post-12447-0-72679000-1393388552_thumb.j

post-12447-0-71156300-1393388555_thumb.j

post-12447-0-87051200-1393388637_thumb.j

post-12447-0-36096700-1393388641_thumb.j

Edited by olds cool

RobM, On this one, I used neatsfoot oil first, followed by a few coats of resolene, then a coat or 2 of carnauba wax with a buff in between, then a coat or 2 of parade black kiwi with a buff, and finally a few coats of clear gloss and even more buffing. I swear my finishing process takes longer than the work on the project sometimes but in the end, it's always worth it.

Looks good.

Excellent! I like your design for the spare mag holder.

I like the nice clean look. The only comment I have is regarding the corners and stitching in the corners. The holster has more rounded corners where the mag pouch has sharper corners.

Very nice work.

Thanks everyone. Vaalpens, I see what you mean about the corners and I agree. One of the things that bothered me most was the point at the bottom. I think I'll probably round that off next time I do one.

That is one fine holster Olds Cool. Though I have to agree that the mag pouch doesnt quite match the holster (still a really cool design though).

RobM, On this one, I used neatsfoot oil first, followed by a few coats of resolene, then a coat or 2 of carnauba wax with a buff in between, then a coat or 2 of parade black kiwi with a buff, and finally a few coats of clear gloss and even more buffing. I swear my finishing process takes longer than the work on the project sometimes but in the end, it's always worth it.

The finish looks like it is worth the effort. I've always done either carnauba wax or a sheen sealant. Does the wax absorb in on top of the resolene?

Far be it for me to criticize someones work as I have just started but from a consumers point of view I agree with what was said above, rounded corners for sure. My current carry setup is not quite as rounded as I would like and its mighty uncomfortable so i dont wear it much. Other than that I would love to have as much talent as you have, good work!

Edited by Huskysibe

The finish looks like it is worth the effort. I've always done either carnauba wax or a sheen sealant. Does the wax absorb in on top of the resolene?

Not really sure if it penetrates the resolene. My intentions are 2 fold, water repellant and a deep luster. Think of it like waxing a car, the more coats the deeper the shine and the longer it lasts and protects. You aren't going to see it much in pictures, especially in a black piece, but the depth of the shine is incredible.

Huskysibe: Thanks for the flattery but honestly there are folks here that I can't hold a candle to. As for the pointed tip, this will be the only one like that. I was never really thrilled with the tip to begin with and taking the advice so far, I've decided to round it over closer to the stitch line.

Far be it for me to criticize someones work as I have just started but from a consumers point of view I agree with what was said above, rounded corners for sure. My current carry setup is not quite as rounded as I would like and its mighty uncomfortable so i dont wear it much. Other than that I would love to have as much talent as you have, good work!

Huskysibe, that is the great thing about this forum. It allows us newbies an opportunity to get the advice of seasoned craftsman on how to better create our holsters. I see the improvement with each holster I make through applying the advice that has been offered to me or fellow newbies.

By the way that is an awesome holster Olds Cool.

Just some thoughts to ponder. You have a lot of latitude with the shape of the holster when making a pancake, so think about why your holster is the shape that it is. Consider both ergonomics and what's pleasing to the eye. Is the holster designed for a modern vertical presentation or more of an FBI canted presentation? Do you have adequate clearance under the trigger to ensure a proper grip from the start? Are the slots positioned parallel to each other and does the design provide for a good location for the slots? What purpose does the full-length reinforcing piece on top serve? That makes it hard to mold the holster well.

Once you have a design that you're satisfied with, apply the same design to the magazine pouch, so that you have a common motif for all of your products.

Don't mean to sound overly critical; this is all about refinement. You seem to have the basics down well.

tk