maersdet

Consew 206Rb-4/5

Greetings!

I came across a Consew 206RB listed on craiglist (http://losangeles.cr...4344295776.html). The owner isn't sure if the machine is a RB-4 or RB-5 or Chinese or Japanese produced.

I plan on using this machine to produce various bags as well as for costume production for theatre. The max thickness I'll be needing to sew is slightly over 2x 9oz. The research I've done leads me to believe this machine would be a good match. My question is would this machine be enough? Also, are the RB-4s Japanese made?

Thanks

Edited by maersdet

The 206RB will be able to sew through two layers of 9oz. She isn't entirely happy about doing so, and you will have to have your hand on the wheel to get the first stitch started. My Seiko version of the 206RB is a beaut, and I've not yet had any problems with her.

Suggest you go take a look in person, and bring two strips of 9/10oz veg tan. The machine should be able to do one layer without trouble, and should be able to transition to the 2 layers and go through them after getting started. See how you like her and if she does what you need. Price looks nice, but I'd not say she's "mint" with all that paint chipped.

You'd want to replace the motor with a servo, get a different pulley, and likely get her fully run down by a professional before putting her into service. That's at least a few hundred bucks there.

I have the RB-5. Two layers of 9 oz veg tan will go through it, but I think if you'll be sewing this consistently you might step the machine up one size. Theory says it'll sew like 1/2" (two 9 oz more like 9/32"). But, my truck speedometer reads to 130 - doesn't mean it should be run at capacity like that.

I'm not a sewing machine "guy", but as a guy who worked with machines and gears for a good while, I can tell you the rule is 60% capacity. If you want to go 60 mph, get a machine that "could" do 100 and you'll likely be fine. That principle, if you want to sew 9/32", you might get a machine that will sew about 15/32" without 'screaming'.

The other issue, if you're sewing bags, a fella might want a cylinder bed machine (so you can stitch the tops).

Now, if you got the chance to pick one up cheap, not needing extensive work....

Just saw the listing. Two things I'd ask about. What happened to the guard by the take up lever, and , why don't he know if the light works, is his arm broke and he can't flip the switch? I don't like those "works far as I know" deals

Just a thought.. isn't "Cobra Steve" out yer way? Think he has used machines as well as new ones.

Edited by JLSleather

It seems to be an RB-4, since there is no dial-locking detent under the stitch length selector. I believe those were Japanese made.

-DC

I have an RB-5. If you are going to consistently sew over 3/8" thickness forget it. The machine just was not designed for heavier work. I believe you would be wise to forget the machine you are looking at. Definitely consider a cylinder arm, you can attach a table for flat work.

ferg

Machine, as said, for sure, is a -4. Big difference between the Consew 206RB-4 with the "TH" serial number prefix and the Consew 206RB-4 with the "SH" serial number prefix.

Take up lever guard is like ten dollars, no problem there. Clutch motor has large pulley, over 3" from the pic, this machine will be hard to control at low speeds, unless your real good working the clutch. It's been done before.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

At the right price it is a great machine to have but for consistent work at the level you want you are at 100% and that is not a good thing.

Might not be correct but from memory of other posts on various forums, the -4 was made in Japan and the -5 is made in China.

Google searches should help clarify.

My -5 was made in Japan. I think most were made in China though.

ferg

negative, no 206RB-5 were made in Japan. Some may say Japan on the tag, but not Made in Japan. These started arriving in 2002.

BTW...we have many,many people who make their living with a Consew 206RB machine. They are very reliable machines.

You are all wonderful. Thanks for the insight; going to continue my search for a machine.