evensteven

No Blue Gun

I've been working with leather most of my adult life but only started doing holsters fairly recently. So far it's all been local, pretty straight forward stuff but I just got a request from out of state for a molded holster for a Browning High Power with a lazer. I can't find a Blue Gun with a lazer for this or any other handgun so how do you guys who have been doing this for a while handle a situation like this?

What style of laser is it?

I believe it's a small cylinder

I leave the leather shop, . . . change hats, . . . and go over to Dwight's model shop.

I make a model, . . . change hats, . . . go back to the leather shop, . . . and make the holster.

If I keep it up, . . . not too long from now, . . . more of them will be wooden than plastic.

May God bless,

Dwight

Gotchya. Thanks!

I do same as Dwight if I can't get what I need. I have a box full of wood guns. I find a reliable online source like the manufacture get the specs find a good side profile picture and enlarge until it meets Height and length specs. Most i make out of 1" by 4" or six inch pine or fir depending on what I have on hand. In mancses you can do the same with lasers or lights using clinders of similar size. THere are some models with lights and or lasers available as dummy guns also blue guns under accessories has some lasers also a company called has seveal models of dummy lasers etc. How ever not cheap and may not warrant $40 -50.00 for one project. i don't know where you get your dummy guns but here are some places to check bluegunstore.com, Duncans outdoor (go to tab Duncans customs) and the one already mentioned.

Edited by camano ridge

I do same as Dwight if I can't get what I need. I have a box full of wood guns. I find a reliable online source like the manufacture get the specs find a good side profile picture and enlarge until it meets Height and length specs. Most i make out of 1" by 4" or six inch pine or fir depending on what I have on hand. In mancses you can do the same with lasers or lights using clinders of similar size. THere are some models with lights and or lasers available as dummy guns also blue guns under accessories has some lasers also a company called http://www.multiholsters.com/Molds.htm has seveal models of dummy lasers etc. How ever not cheap and may not warrant $40 -50.00 for one project. I don't know where you get your dummy guns but here are some places to check bluegunstore.com, Duncans Outdoor (go to tab Duncans customs) and the one already mentioned.

I use stacked leather to build mocked up Crimson Trace lasers. One thing to keep in mind is where the buttons are. I just turned down a Walther P22 with laser after looking at the Walther laser. Little tiny switches for the laser and attaching the laser to the rail that stuck straight up. I don't want to be on the hook when the holster breaks one. I really wish the laser and gun manufacturers gave a couple seconds thought to holster making on some of these guns. The Bodyguard comes to mind there as well as the CT Railmaster. Both are really annoying.

Thanks for the helpfull info guys. I really appreciate the input!

I'd ask the client to borrow his hand gun, explaining that, for an exact fit you need his gun to design and test his holster before shipping it.

As to the laser, it's much the same as the front sights. You need to make a cylindrical model that encompasses the laser's largest dimensions so that the laser will slide in and out of the holster. I hope that makes sense. For the front sights I make a cylinder that will fit over the front sight out of a straw or the shell from a cheap ball point pen. That cylinder fits the length of the firearm so that when molded the front sight will have a channel the length of the holster in which to slide in and out.

Good luck and keep at it.

Michelle

Thanks silverwingit. I already use that trick for the front site channel. Unfortunately, I cant' "borrow" this particular weapon since the customer lives in another state. Thanks for the reply.

If you have or can pick up a blue gun, just have him send you the laser off the weapon. Attach it to the blue gun, wrap it like a real weapon, and go from there. If you don't have a blue gun, there's an ASP on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASP-Red-Training-Gun-Browng-Hi-Power-7314-/350976946212?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b7db3024

If you have or can pick up a blue gun, just have him send you the laser off the weapon. Attach it to the blue gun, wrap it like a real weapon, and go from there. If you don't have a blue gun, there's an ASP on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASP-Red-Training-Gun-Browng-Hi-Power-7314-/350976946212?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b7db3024

Thanks!

Try this, Blue gun Store:

FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS prices same on all guns $47.99 cheaper in quantity.

http://037287c.netsolstores.com/