UKRay

Culture: Two nations divided...

I'm not real familiar with the food traditions in the South but coming from where I live (Utah) we definately notice the food preferences you folks have. Not to offend anyone about their favorite food but sit a bowl of grits in front of someone not raised on the stuff and it's pretty disgusting, definately an aquired taste I think. And what's with the love of gravy and the absence of ketchup, after a week of starving for something that tasted like home one time in Oklahoma I wheeled into a Dairy Queen thinking "it's a Dairy Queen, nobody would screw with a Dairy Queen" (I assumed it would be the same as the ones around here) ordered a burger and fries and was handed a bowl of gravy to eat my fries with, I asked the lady for some ketchup and she looked at me like I'd just ask her to pull her blouse over her head. I gotta' say though a week in that country and I dropped ten pounds, maybe I should go back.

This is a fun topic. On the subject of British sitcoms. My all time Favourites are Dad,s Army,Allo Allo and Hyacinth Bouquet (Bucket) in keeping up appearences. As for the US version of Kath and Kim. Some regional sitcoms do not transfer to another culture and this is a prime example. The original Australian version is having a dig at Australian suburbia and doesn't work in a US context (or any other country for that matter). This one completely loses it in the attempt to make a US version.

Let's chuck in the Aussie cultural differences. I have found that we can readily itentify with The British ways and we can easily work out their slang terms. Our language and spelling is more British because that is how the subject English was taught at school. We were wrapped over the knuckles if we recited the alphabet and ended Zee (ala sesame street) instead of Zed. Computers and spell check as well as popular music/movies has changed how Aussie kids think, dress, speak, spell and act. A distinctive Aussie culture is slowly being eroded away.

Here a shrimp is a prawn and the idea of sticking one on a BBQ was cooked up by an advertising executive.

We of course drive on the left side of the road and the steering wheel is on the right side of the car. My understanding of this goes back to the days of horse transport. If we rode on the left side of the road and mounted/dismounted on the near/left side of the horse we are mounting/dismounting onto the kerb and not into oncoming traffic. It also had a cavalry meaning. Most people were and still are right handed. the cavalry trooper held a sabre in the right hand. If two opposing troopers approached each other and both were on the left of the road, their sabres could be efficiently utilised.

I was once told that Aussies/Brits/Americans actually eat differently, that is use their utensils differently. In my experience this is true but my experience with US culture is limited to California and NJ. We tend to hold the knife and fork in the hands for the duration of the meal. What I have witnessed in the US is people will chop the food with the fork and only pick up the knife to cut say a peice of steak and then place the knife down and go back to chopping away with the fork. Nothing wrong with this just a curious observation.

In Australia McDonalds is Macca's. We have no Wally world but have similar smaller chain stores, Big W and KMART. As for sport. We have football in Winter and the code you follow depends on your state of birth. This subject could launch an Australian civil war. In summer we have cricket and their are different version of this game creeping in. Traditionally the game of cricket lasts 5 days but now we have the one day version and 20/20.

In Australia if you ask for "A" pie it is going to be a meat filled pastry. You have to be specific if you want apple pie etc. Iced coffee is a cold coffee flavoured milk drink and ice tea is not real common. If you ask for tea it is going to be hot.

I have also discovered in my travels that US kids are FAR more polite in general than Aussie kids. Manners here has been flushed down the dunny (toilet). US kids for the most part still say please/thankyou.Sir/Maam.

And to me the ultimate best thing about US culture is when you go into a US restaurant the coffee comes in a bottomless cup. We don't tip (unless we want to). Having said that there seems to be a trend in places here for tipping. I personally have no problem with this if they drop the cost of their service by 15%. If you go into an Aussie restaurant the cost is on the menu and that is all you pay. The Wait staff get payed more per hour but this is because there is no gratuity. The dining experience tends to work out the same cost wise in the end in Aus/US (more up front and no gratuity as opposed to less up front +gratuity).

Finally. NO Australian drinks Fosters.

Barra

I'm told chitterlings are something to look out for...

Don't ever ask for 'chitterlings', as no one will know what you're talking about. Here, the pronounciation is "CHIT-linz". Google the term 'chitlins' if you don't know what it is. Oh, and "cracklin's" are fat that's double deep fried until it's expanded and crunchy. Almost like a pig fat 'cheese puff'. It tastes like bacon, and almost qualifies as a food group.

And if you come visit the US, bring your own beer- our's is like sex in a canoe.

Another difference I've seen a lot: Here in the 'States, an engine is also referred to as a motor. I can't count how many arguments I've gotten into about the difference.

Edited by TwinOaks

My father owned a Morris Traveller, and they were described by Dame Edna Everage as 'half-timbered' cars - presumably for people who live in half-timbered houses!

I was once commissioned to make a pair of leather suspenders for a guy in the States . . . it took a while for me to realise that he wanted a pair of what we call 'braces' to hold up his trousers (not pants)! Our definition of suspenders would have been inappropriate!

And as for 'Time Team' . . . I've followed the programme for the last 15 years, and finally this year I was invited to take part in some of their digs, but they're not due for broadcast until January 2009. They'll probably take a lot longer to reach the US!

This is a fascinating thread, and reinforces George Bernard Shaw's observation that the USA and Britain are 'two nations divided by a common language'!

Morris_Traveller.jpg

post-7199-1223860226_thumb.jpg

:NEWFUNNYPOST: I had an engine boat once but I had to get rid of it because it had a bad motor.

Another difference I've seen a lot: Here in the 'States, an engine is also referred to as a motor. I can't count how many arguments I've gotten into about the difference.

What is this alleged difference?

What is this alleged difference?

Just taking a flippant stab at this, but most people around where I live usually (little disclaimer, there) use the term "motor" for a mechanical power source that is powered by electricity. "Engine" referes to a mechanical power source that is powered by fuel combustion.

Kate

I would have to side with Kate on that. For example, a refrigerator has a motor, a car has an engine. But then again, I've also referred to what's in the car as its motor. Or what's in a boat. But what's in my weed trimmer is a motor. Confused? LOL.

I've really enjoyed reading this topic. My husband is a nut about House and Hugh Laurie. The first time we heard him speak in an interview we were blown away by his accent. He covers it well. I don't really have an appreciation for British humor overall, but Tim is pretty big on it. Monty Python, "Are You Being Served", and other shows he finds on BBC...I pick up a book...

As to kids being polite, I think that's a matter of who you speak to. We were at the playground a few months back, and a little girl who my son had been desperately trying to engage in conversation turned to her brother and said (of my son, in his presence!) "He talks weird!" I looked at her and said "he doesn't talk weird, he's 3 years old, and a lot younger than you!" (she appeared to be about 6) Ethan has also had several of his toys thrown by other kids who don't seem to understand the basic niceties of taking care of someone else's property. And the way the neighbors' boys treat each other...well let's just say I would not have been allowed to talk to my sister that way. I also have taught at a variety of age levels, in both public and church settings, and see a total lack of discipline in the youth.

I learned to drive in a Morry 1000. Thanks for the Pic and the trip down memory lane Celticleather.

Barra

Just taking a flippant stab at this, but most people around where I live usually (little disclaimer, there) use the term "motor" for a mechanical power source that is powered by electricity. "Engine" referes to a mechanical power source that is powered by fuel combustion.

Kate

That's how it works here in my neck of the woods also, Kate.

Tony.

This is something that was sent to me around the last election time, a message from British comedian John Cleese, to the citizens of the United States:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A Message from John Cleese - British comedian:

To the citizens of the United States of America:

In light of your failure in recent years to nominate competent candidates for President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately.

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except Kansas, which she does not fancy).

Your new Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, will appoint a Governor for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded.

A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary.

1. Then look up aluminium, and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.

2. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'colour', 'favour' and 'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix '-ize' will be replaced by the suffix '-ise'.

Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up 'vocabulary').

3. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication.

There is no such thing as US English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell- checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of -ize.

4. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.

5. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not adult enough to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults. If you're not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you're not grown up enough to handle a gun.

6. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

7. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables.

Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

8. The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline)-roughly $6/US gallon. Get used to it.

9. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.

10. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. South African beer is also acceptable as they are pound for pound the greatest sporting Nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of British Commonwealth - see what it did for them. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

11. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie Macdowell attempt English

dialogue in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.

12. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American

football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies). Don't try Rugby - the South Africans and Kiwis will thrash you like they regularly

thrash us.

13. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket, and we will let you face the South Africans first to take the sting out of their deliveries.

14. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

15. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).

16. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 pm with proper china cups, with saucers, and never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; plus strawberries (with cream) when in season.

God save the Queen!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and "cracklin's" are fat that's double deep fried until it's expanded and crunchy. Almost like a pig fat 'cheese puff'. It tastes like bacon, and almost qualifies as a food group.

Ugh. Don't eat any of that within 2 weeks of your next angiogram!

Kate

Ray,

Grits are a Southern thing much like corn meal just coarser. There are white grits and yellow grits, white being from hulled kernels and yellow being from whole kernels. We boil them until they are the thickness we like and usually add butter. The only place you can't get grits down South is McDonalds, and they're workin' on it. There is also hominy grits which is a different animal, but still corn.

Art

What on earth ARE grits?

Ray,

Grits are a Southern thing much like corn meal just coarser. There are white grits and yellow grits, white being from hulled kernels and yellow being from whole kernels. We boil them until they are the thickness we like and usually add butter. The only place you can't get grits down South is McDonalds, and they're workin' on it. There is also hominy grits which is a different animal, but still corn. Art

Thanks Art, most helpful. Okay, I think I have a tenuous grip on grits... I think we are talking about something akin to gruel. Is this stuff served 'wet' or 'dry'? How do you buy it/them: packets, loose, chunks, bottles? Does anyone know where we might be able to get it/them in the UK?

Now one for you: How many of you have tried frumenty? http://www.history.uk.com/recipes/index.php?archive=8 This the stuff they built the Empire on... Boil it too long and you could build a skyscraper on it!

Cracklin' is something we 'enjoy' here in the UK. It tends to be sold in pubs as it needs to be 'washed down' with a pint. Pubs also sell a range of crisps, peanuts (salted and dry roast), and what are loosely called bar snacks. In the main, bar snacks are either sandwiches (toasted or plain) or fried food - there is little attempt to foster healthy eating habits on pub clientel. The nearest thing most pubs get to healthy eating is a 'Ploughman's Lunch' - traditionally a chunk of cheddar cheese, a hunk of bread plus butter and pickles. In a posh place you might see a token wilting lettuce leaf and a curling slice of cucumber/tomato.

Some hostelries have re-invented themselves as 'GastroPubs' - which name, apparently, has no direct links with the gastro-enteritis you risk by eating at some of them. The GastroPub idea of a Ploughman's lunch is Ciabatta or Focaccia, a green or mixed salad (but you can forget about the 'Ranch' dressing - another UK - US cultural connundrum methinks), a chunk of camembert or brie and a portion controlled pot of sweet pickle. No pickled onions because we all know they give you 'gas' (did I say that right?) and you don't want fetid onion breath all afternoon if you work in a small and crowded office (most offices in the UK are small and crowded because of the price of property which is at least twice that of the US). The average ploughman wouldn't be seen dead in a GastroPub!

British pubs are famous for their warm beer, but do you know the difference between bitter, mild, stout and porter? You can often get locally made perry, mead, and cider but unless you know what you are drinking it may be best to approach these with caution. Be aware: getting unsuspecting visitors from overseas 'hammered' on local brews is regarded as a legitimate pub game...

Being so close to Europe - please note: Brits do not necessarily regard themselves as part of Europe unless there is some kind of financial benefit such as a grant from the EEC - we also have a wide range of 'foreign' beers which we prefer to call lager. Some of it is drinkable... We also sell Budweiser (both sorts) and a few other US beers that I can't remember - anyone care to help here? Ferret, I think you have a working knowledge of hostelries don't you?

What is available in a US bar?

Pie = dogs eye , mystery bag , maggot bag

Best Pommie show - Father Ted

Yeah Davy, Father Ted was a great show. Our local vet looks just like Father Ted and he often gets ribbed about it.

Tony.

Pie = Rat's coffin, of course smothered in dead horse which is tomato sauce (ketchup).

I forgot to add the Brit sitcom the vicar of dibley. Emma Chambers as Alice Tinker is pure genius.

Barra

Edited by barra

What ever happened to my all-time favorite, "Bless Me Father"???

Mike

Now one for you: How many of you have tried frumenty? http://www.history.uk.com/recipes/index.php?archive=8 This the stuff they built the Empire on... Boil it too long and you could build a skyscraper on it!

Actually, yes -- except I make a sweet version and have it for breakfast. I should make some; it'd be good while I'm fighting off this cold. I cook 1 cup of bulgar in 2 cups of apple cider (not hard cider!) and add butter and raisins. Om nom nom nom!

Actually, yes -- except I make a sweet version and have it for breakfast. I should make some; it'd be good while I'm fighting off this cold. I cook 1 cup of bulgar in 2 cups of apple cider (not hard cider!) and add butter and raisins. Om nom nom nom!

What is Frumenty and what is Bulgar?

Tony.

What is Frumenty and what is Bulgar?

Tony.

Frumenty is a wheat porridge (http://www.history.uk.com/recipes/index.php?archive=8), often made with bulgur wheat.

Bulgur wheat is parboiled, dried, and de-branned wheat, usually durum wheat. I forgot to add that I also put a healthy dollop of honey in my sweet frumenty; it makes the apple cider less acidic. I get the bulgur in the organic aisle of my grocery store, usually Bob's Red Mill brand.

This is pretty similar to oatmeal. It has many of the same properties, and is made much the same way. But this is the first time I've seen a porridge mixed with chicken or beef stock to make a side dish for meat. Interesting... I'll have to try that sometime. Oh, and the saffron is out of the question - way, way, way too expensive here. ...Unless it's REALLY worth it.

Kate

What is available in a US bar?

Well in the bars I used to frequent you

could get a good game of pool.A frozen

pizza that tasted like cardboard along

with a hunk of pickled bologna and a

cracker. Of course after you finished

your meal there were plenty of lonely

women who needed someone to keep

them warm.

WINDY

I have no particular point to make here, other than I really enjoy UK/US cultural differences. A conversation on another thread led me to think about these and I wondered if, maybe, it worked both ways. We Brits see a huge amount of American TV and often see really exciting stuff and hear language that we simply don't understand or recognise. Does this ever happen to you?

For example:

<snip>

What else do we Brits do, if anything, that makes you laugh or is a complete mystery?

Wonderful observations!

Karen and I were lucky enough to spend 2 years in Japan and 7 years in the UK. Both island countries. The similarities between Japan and the UK were amazing. 30 to 50 million people on land smaller than California. Countries with written histories going back many centuries. Two counties that absolutely hate their neighbors, but adopted much of the neighbors language. Great warriors that gained much land and gave it back. Two countries with accents that are unintelligible when attempting to speak English to an American. Both fishing countries. Both have remembrances of a royal leadership. Both have a parliamentary form of government. One country has Sumo, the other Cricket -- both boring in large doses.

But all-in-all, a wonderful experience that we loved every minute of.

Bob Stelmack

Hey TwinOaks, had some craklin cornbread today with a pot of beans and some porkchops, and If the crick don't rise too much, towards the end of the week My Mamas gonna cook us some chitilins and maws. Down here where I live we boil the chitilins and maws and when they get tender we cut them up and fry them in a spider until just a little crispy, take them up and then fry cornbread fritters in the oil left over from the chitilins. Something to kill for down here in my neck on the woods. In another part of the state they boil the chitilins in a wash pot and then cut them up in pieces about 4 or 5 inches long, then plait the short pieces and deep fry in another wash pot until real crisp. I like our way better, but like their way too. Billy P