Jason311

Bench / Table Top Press

Hey guys,

This might be a ridiculous question, but here it goes anyways.

I live in an apartment and I prefer to use a pricking iron / fork to set up my stitching - however, hammering nearly everyday isn't going to fly in my building.

Are there any presses that could be sat on a table top - and pressed down to push the fork into the leather? Would a grommet press or a snap press work?

I'm guessing this process would only take a little longer than using a hammer. I am not interested in a drill press, but one with a flat "bit" for the press.

I hope that makes sense - Thanks in advance,

Jason

I know you said you weren't interested in a drill press, but in an apartment you might want to consider a dremmel press, they are inexpensive, small and work hard. Load a #25 needle in it, mark your stitches and punch away resulting in a diamond pattern that will closely resemble real hand stitching. Of course you could always use an awl and that wouldn't be any noise at all and wouldn't insult any hand stitching purists.

Chief

Thanks for the quick reply Chief.

I'll look into the press. I'm learning right now and am open to trying anything besides machine stitching. I have used an awl, but my stitching is terrible - even with a stitching horse, I cannot get the holes evenly made.

I'll look into the dremmel press.

An arbor press would be ideal

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-arbor-press-3551.html

Cut some of the handle off the pricking irons or have a hole drilled in the press to take the handle. Also great for stamps. Average cost around $25 with the usual discount coupons.

Cya!

Bob

image_18448.jpg

that little press right there has a lot of uses in leatherworking.

you will have to make/modify your own arbors.

a stitching awl is probably the fastest method for making a saddle stitch

you will want to use a stitching horse/pony/clam in conjunction with the awl

the stitching clamp leaves your hands free to make the hole then applying the stitch to the project.

look for Nigel Armatiges stitching tutorials here or on youtube.

Jason,

Are you in the US or UK? Harbor Freight is the place to grab one of these presses. Get the 1 ton (a bit more $$) if you do any stamping.

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

Bob,

I'm in the US. I was checking them out. All my pricking forks are 4 to 4.5 inches. I think the one ton will have enough room for them, without me having to cut them down.

Jason

You can always have a machine shop drill a hole in the foot to take the handles. There are presses available that are pre drileld to take attachments:

http://www.zoro.com/g/00139275/k-G4937396?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kpid=G4937396&gclid=CI6Pi-bGhL4CFRRbfgodwiUAZA

Cya!

Bob

Have you tried a stitching wheel to mark your holes for useing a awl. Thats what I use for my hand stitching. Just a thought..

Papaw,

I've only been at this for a couple months and I used on awl on a couple test projects and my stitching always looks terrible - uneven and the leather stretches where the seam is made.

I was going to stick with it until I watched an Ian Atkinson (Leodis Leather) video talking about the awl and if he says he doesn't like them, I'm comfortable with opting out. I know all the "old timers" say to use an awl and stitch with it in hand, but its incredibly time consuming my work is always crap - which it will be at this point! :)

It seems crazy to use a press just to make the holes, but right now it might be a good option.

Jason

The problem using a press is the leather will stick to the needle unlike a sewing machine that uses a foot to hold the leather down while the needle raises out of the leather.

It can be a pain unless you develop something mechanical to hold the leather down.

post-19342-0-64431000-1398821119_thumb.j

I use an overstitcher and a bench top drill press with a doll making needle chucked up. I love the setup. One person I know uses the drill press without running it, but I've found that method to be too sticky. Maybe wax on the needle would help. If you have a groover but no overstitcher, I've heard of people using a fork of all things.

Good luck, be sure and update with whatever you do. I'll be buying a HF arbor press soon, but for other work.

Strigamort,

I have a couple overstitchers and they do their job just fine - its the consistency I'm trying to get down. I'm going to order a 1 ton arbor press and see how I can manage with it.

I don't mind taking the time to pry out the pricking fork. Afterall you're going to be doing that using those anyways. I just need to keep my apartment from sounding like a construction site!

I'll let you guys know how I get along with it.

Since you may live there when you want to use tooling stamps and will need to use a maul/mallet anyway, what are you using to strike with, and strike on? I'm using marble and a Harbor Freight 1.5lb dead blow mallet. The mallet may not be the best, but it's fairly quiet. If I isolated the marble with a thin piece of foam, it would be even quieter. Just thinking out loud. :)

Back in the day I used a Dremel and Dremel Drill Press attachment. Kind of handy to have and very low profile. The bits that you can get for the dremel are the perfect size for hand stitching.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachments/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=220-01

you can also fold up a big towel and place it under your marble, this will help to silence the blows a bit as well,

if you do decide to use a d dremel dont use it on a high speed for it will burn the leather while making the hole.

I used to use a dremmel tool for those stitch holes that had a thick welt but I found that one of those little HF bench top drill presses work better because they don't bog down like a dremel will at slow speeds.

still though the best results I get is with using a good sharp stitching awl with a stitching clamp

just sharing my experience.

I'm glad you mentioned the heat. I keep meaning to change the speed on my press. I was surprised to find that my needle was hot enough to burn me a couple of weeks ago.

ya the faster it spins the hotter it will get

I have had leather smoking and the needle turning colors theyve been so hot :whistle:

when I use my drill press I set it on its slowest speed,

afterwards I will use the diamond shaped awl blade.

Table top drill press may be more versatile than an arbor press, the throat is deeper and the vertical distance between the chuck and plate is greater. A drill press may not produce the same pressing power as an arbor press but it should be more than satisfactory. Also with the drill you will be able to chuck up a burnishing tool for your edge slicking. The drill can easily be fitted with a fence(store bought or shop built) so one can set it and easily puch a series of holes the exact same distance from the edge. I have used my small drill to do this and it will punch 2 layers of 8/9 veg tan easily, no power needed, it would probably "drill" those belt holes even easier but I haven't tried it under power. I also have an arbor press, 1 ton Famco, very nice but none of my punches fit under the ram. Just my .02

Just wanted to post that the Arbor Press came today and it solves my problem perfectly. I bought the 1 ton from Zoro as posted earlier and it fits my forks perfectly. I won't have to modify the press or my tools for the time being.

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by Jason311

I tried the HF one a few years ago and while I'll bet that it would do a fine job if done right I would recommend having a machine shop or at least someone proficient with the right tools drill the hole. My idea was to drill the hole that would accept a drillpress chuck so I could easily switch out Tools punches etc. but I never could get the hole drilled straight so it never works right. From further reading I believe fabricating a "ram" I believe they're called that just attach to the amber shaft is the correct way to go about this, because the pressure exerted on the tools could cause them to get stuck in a hole that was directly drilled into the arbors shaft.

As far as drill presses go I have some insight as well. First they're not meant for punching meaning you shouldn't just put a tool in the chuck and push down on the drill presses. drill presses are meant to be running/drilling to do the job, the gears and hardware in most drill presses won't handle the force of simply punching let alone repeated stamping for long periods of time, the machine simply wasn't meant to do so.

2nd I know a lot of guys that do drill holes in order to sew through. However I have read posts and articles stating that this is not the ideal way of making holes. The hole a awe makes is self closing so it has a gripping action that holds the thread in place. They also make a diamond shaped hole as opposed to a round one giving what many would consider a more attractive stitch. I'm not making a argument here for which method is better I'm just telling both sides of it.

That sad Cambell Bosworth has a "twist press" that is pre setup for many leather working jobs. I don't have one but I have been wanting one for some time. Without getting into the physics of this (because I'm no expert on that subject either) from a what I have read and experienced myself using a fly press (for mettle work) the twisting motion allows for better control of force as well as a greater range of pressure.

466b53b7ab2774018b38bda89117305a.jpg